walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

THE COMEBACK STARTS

THE COMEBACK STARTS

Postby lairdoharray » Mon May 20, 2019 8:31 pm

Date walked: 16/05/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 810m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Keepleft.jpg
Stuc is to the left. The faint path leads you there.
I gave up golf club membership to do more hills, but had climbed nothing since September 2018. However, after shedding some excess flab and done a bit on the flat, I wanted to get going. Stuc A'Chroin from Callander seemed not too steep. All the books say that it is a boring slog, but I disagree. You can see this hill from many places in the Lowlands, so the opposite must be true. I was not disappointed and would recommend this expedition.

Taking advantage of the road up past Callander Golf Club, I parked near a gate (maybe could have driven through for another 1km?). From there to the summit, it took this 64 year old 2 hrs 50 mins. Good going on unsurfaced roads up to the new bridge over the Keltie Water. Obviously the Queensferry Crossing team did their warming down by building this and another bridge over a tributary burn. The house at Arivurichardich could do with new windows, but salesmen would earn their money if they got a result here. The track onwards is quite clear and this proved to be the relatively simple trip that I needed. It helped that the weather was fine: not too warm and a stiff easterly breeze.

The summit has two cairns, fairly close and both were tipped. Great views. I reflected on the loss of my former Physics teacher who died here in 1991 after a fall. Amazing: a good man who would have been well prepared and careful. We must never be complacent.

I'm slow going downhill and it was 2 hrs 15 minutes to get back. Next week, it's Torridon. (Ha ha!)
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:14   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland