walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Information sought on Victoria Bridge to Loch Etive route

Information sought on Victoria Bridge to Loch Etive route

Postby galltywenallt » Tue May 21, 2019 6:40 pm

I'm planning to use this path to bag Beinn nan Lus and Meall Garbh with an overnight camp. I know the footbridge across the Allt Ghabhar S of Clashgour has gone but the river looks easily fordable. I remember hearing a year or two ago that erosion had removed the ground right up to the deer fence somewhere between the beginning of the forest at NN255425 and NN238420. Another report said it was avoidable, but I'm not sure that was because the fence was moved or he was referring to the estate road via Clashgour. Would that be a better route? There appears to be a locked deer gate to cross.
Chris
galltywenallt
Mountain Walker

Re: Information sought on Victoria Bridge to Loch Etive rout

Postby Plavuizen » Wed May 22, 2019 11:10 am

Hi Chris,

It is possible to stay south of Abhainn Shira from Victoria Bridge up to the footbridge S of Clashgour, I’ve done so a couple of years ago: there is a path through the forest, continue at the end of the path, you can easily tackle the deer fence at the and of the forrest and ford the Allt Suil na Curra where it flows in the Abhainn Shira. I’ve done this route when I came from Glen Kinglass walking to Bridge of Orchy.
Plavuizen
Walker

Munros:4   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:2

Re: Information sought on Victoria Bridge to Loch Etive rout

Postby galltywenallt » Thu May 30, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks. I found a report that the erosion on the path N of the river was no longer a problem so I took the usual route. After passing the Clashgour hut (owned by the Glasgow Mountaineering Club - I met some guys there on the return) there's a notice "Through Route" pointing along the river and "Access to farm only" on the estate road veering right. I gather this is to dissuade bikers from taking the route through the farm but presumably they couldn't stop you. However the path by the river was fine, two gaps in the deer fence have been made to bypass the eroded section. It was so dry you could have biked it. Fording the Allt Ghabhar was no problem, neither was the ford at NN186402 although there's a new bridge 300m south you could use, shown on the 1:25k - it's signed from the path W of the river.
We camped in Glen Kinglass a little before the Lodge which was fine apart from the midges - they're a week early this year. The view from Beinn nan Lus was as good as I've had from a Graham.
Chris
galltywenallt
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion