walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Chuaich - Walkers Path!

Meall Chuaich - Walkers Path!

Postby jwramsay » Sun May 26, 2019 3:44 pm

Route description: Meall Chuaich, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: Meall Chuaich

Date walked: 25/05/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Ascent: 614m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked on Saturday 25th May 2019, started at 7am by being the first car parked in Layby 94 on the A9.

Finished at 12:30, so 5.5 hours for this single. This allowed me to combine the day with The Atholl Highlanders annual parade at Blair Atholl

This photo, taken from Geal Charn shows the position of Meall Chuaich:

A long walk in, this munro is situated to the right of Loch Cuaich, you ascend from 1300 to 3100 feet in no time at all, so some of the ascent is on the steep side.

The summit cairn is large, no views for me as it was in the clag.

View back shows the long walk in:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/47936119986_bc01c1d96a_b.jpg

Lots of wildlife, especially red grouse and mountain hares:

A wader flew out right in from of me, revealing this chick:

Possibly a dotterel or a golden plover?

jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland