walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Am Basteir: an Executed Circular Compleation

Am Basteir: an Executed Circular Compleation

by old danensian » Sun May 19, 2019 11:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe

Date walked: 14/05/2019

Time taken: 7.45 hours

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 1140m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Am Basteir: an Executed Circular Compleation

Postby arjh » Fri May 24, 2019 12:24 am

Fantastic read, congratulations :clap:
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Postby old danensian » Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am

Wow - been away for a few days - thanks for all the positive comments and congratulations - I was down at the Chelsea Flower Show - a completely different world - apart from Mark Gregory's Yorkshire Garden of course. The least I can do is give you all the courtesy of a general appreciative reply, and also respond to some of the many points you've raised.

Ian -
a very brave choice for the final Munro
- I don't think choice came into it in the end. I seemed to be being lead inexorably there and, after watching Free Solo and Alex Honnold on Channel 4 last night, the fifteen feet of the Step pales into insignificance.

Gaffr -
you must be close to a full round of the 4000m peaks
- yes, you've confused me with someone else there - my currently tally on that score is just two - the Dent Blanche and the Matterhorn - and sadly I don't think I'll be adding to them.
And as for your comments about early routes - classic descriptions about a time when routes were literally made and not simply followed.

Rod -
I first met up … on the westerly Drumochter group
- I remember the day well - and we left the tiring youngsters descending as we pushed on to add the Corbett Sow - no stamina this young generation.

Alistair -
always thought provoking and entertaining in equal measure ...
- thanks - I don't know how you maintain the momentum to keep us reading your own reports and wanting to know what happens next.

Pete R -
I was very much the same myself ...
- and not only did you managed to squeeze in 280 to 282 just before me - well done - did I miss the report? - but you're also now one in front of me on the Compleator list for posterity.

Martin -
… I won't pose the question that usually follows ...
- but I'll answer it all the same. No, I'm not doing a second round, and neither am I doing the Tops. But if there any awkward steps on the Corbetts I'll be looking out for your photographic support.

Owen -
… up there the day before … would have been fun to have met you ...
- be honest - you're just miffed you missed out on the Talisker - maybe if we meet up on a future WH meet.

Mal -
… the quiet satisfaction of compleating ...
- it was simply that - quiet - the wind even dropped when I got to the top. Now you've got me following your kayaking blog and got me wondering - I've got a friend who has suggested it once or twice, and it's got my other half worrying.

Ronnie -
great to be part of your special day ...
- as I said in the report, the people you meet are part of making all the days special - and great that you've broken your duck on making a WH post - maybe more to come?

Eva / Kevin -
… no more list ticking ...
- you should see the size of the to-do list for the garden - top of which is slug eradication. All the best when you get a grand day for AB - you'll be fine.

Graeme -
A Munroist and a Poet
- now hang on there, let's not over-do it. Just think, from amidst that generation of DofE students you've coerced round the hills, there may be another me for whom you bear sole responsibility. I hope we'll hammer out another Sunday Corbett at the end of a WH meet at some stage in the future.

Paul / Helen -
… a fitting mountain on which to finish ...
- in June 2011, on a claggy clamber up Creag Meghaidh, you asked if I had any aspiration to do them all. I'd only done sixty then. I guess I've just said "yes."

Old Danensian
(For the curious - it's the collective name given to former pupils of the school I used to go to many, many moons ago - there maybe at least one other lurking on the site.)
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri May 24, 2019 3:47 pm

Well done, and what a way to finish.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 pm

Another WH meet Sunday Corbett is long overdue Nigel. Ratagan in July????
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby past my sell by date » Sat May 25, 2019 5:49 pm

Congratulations - I don't suppose there are many compleations on Am Basteir!! At Uni in the early sixties we seemed to spend all our time in the Cuillins so they were all among my first 20, and I was able to choose an easier final hill so that all my "past their sell by date" friends could accompany me. :lol: :lol:

gaffr wrote:I have another apology to make regarding this post and my reply. I made a major faux pas by confusing the gentleman completest with another poster to the Forum.
I confused the gentleman with the gentleman who trades under the Forum name of 'past my sell by date' :oops:

Nice to be called Gentleman Gaffr :D - I think codger probably more appropriate. :lol:
I managed all the Swiss fourthousanders and the outliers, but the ones on Mont Blanc are just that bit longer and more serious and proved a bridge too far . There was also too much objective danger I felt: you can be the greatest, fittest and best equipped climber in the world, but if 10,000 tons of ice and snow decide to come down on you it matters not a jot :(
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby DavidRDavis » Sun May 26, 2019 10:52 am

Well done Nigel :clap: :clap: As a fellow OD inspired by the same teacher I'm now wishing I'd done some more of the vertical stuff!! Particularly as a good portion of Skye's delights remain for me to wander up. Congratulations
DavidRDavis
Hill Bagger

Munros:273   Corbetts:17
Donalds:4
Hewitts:202
Wainwrights:208   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun May 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Congrats on compleation :clap: :clap: :clap: . Must be one of the best possible places to compleat...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 27, 2019 11:21 am

Congratulations - good conditions to finish on definitely worth the wait! 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby Klaasloopt » Mon May 27, 2019 2:59 pm

It's reports like this that make me want to compleat!
:clap:
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Congratulations and well done ! :clap: Great way to finish off. Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

36 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland