walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruachan revisited

Cruachan revisited

Postby past my sell by date » Sat May 25, 2019 4:49 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan

Date walked: 12/05/2019

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 1337m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Taking in all Cruachan's seven Munro tops in a day is quite a major undertaking even for a fit young walker. I guess separating them into two days - the Dalmally** horseshoe on one, and the remainder on another would make sense, but when I did the normal Munro circuit anticlockwise around 20 years ago I was so knackered when I reached Cruachan that I couldn't even summon up the energy to climb the eighty odd metres to Meall Cuanail - never mind take in the second highest top Stob Dearg - often known as the Taynuilt peak. :(
** Why has Dalmally been mis-anglicised? The Gaelic transliteration is surely Dalvally :( :( :(
For the last 20 years I've always felt guilty about leaving out this major Scottish peak - only 20 m lower than the Munro. So when a fine Sunday was promised, I set off early determined to put this right. The roads were surprisingly quiet - maybe because it was a week after the bank holiday, and I was there in an hour, but the parking by the station was full and I had to stop a couple of hundred metres further East. There were clearly quite a few folk already on the hill. I went through the tunnel and followed the track which headed L for a while and then climbed steeply through oak woods - gorgeous at this time of year

7017.JPG
Lovely oak woods
7023.JPG
Above Another view: below Eventually the woods open out, the angle eases and there are stunning views of Loch Awe
7026.JPG
Abiove: Violets in a crevice: Below looking towards the pass of Brander[
7032.JPG
The dam soon appears
7036.JPG
And I climbed over maybe the most rickety stile I have ever crossed. "Elf and Safety" would not approve. Once over it, It's a straightforward walk up and on to the dam via the metal stairs
7038.JPG
The reservoir from the dam
7039.JPG
I followed the track to the end of the reservoir and headed L up Coire Dearg towards the 825m Bealach an Lochain between Meall Cuanail and the main top: Below: A bit higher
7045.JPG
A wider view - Meall Cuanail centre
7046.JPG
Looking back Beinn a Bhuiridh
7049.JPG
Further on - it's a long pull-up 430 m or so in all. Two Glasgow lasses were just behind me - they had two friends further back , but I stayed ahead of them. Another very fast man shot by at breakneck pace, but his small West Highland terrier struggled to keep up with him :lol: :lol:
7052.JPG
Meall Cuanail again
7053.JPG
At the bealach - looking East: in the gap L of Beinn a Bhuiridh are Ben Lui and the Crianlarich peaks
7056.JPG
Above: looking W to the small hills on the South end of Mull Below: Further S - the Paps of Jura with Scarba on the R: - I could just see Colonsay beyond
I stopped at the bealach, while the first pair of girls pushed on up the eroded track which climbs steeply for the first 50m or so towards the summit. I followed them after a bit of a rest. There were still a further 300m to the summit :(
7065.JPG
After 50m or so the angle eases a bit: looking up
7068.JPG
A wider view from around the the same point: Meall Cuanail on the R, with the Arrochar Alps in the distance
7069.JPG
Zoomed view of the same area. the prominent peak just L of centre is Ben Ime
7072.JPG
First view of my target Stob Dearg
7075.JPG
Another view up the boulder slopes to the summit
7078.JPG
Looking E from the same point: the big dark lump in the distance (centre L) is Beinn Dorain
7081.JPG
I eventually caught up with the girls on the final slopes, but we all found the boulders awkward and I think we should have been a bit further L. Their companions soon joined them and before they headed round the circuit they took a summit photo for me :D - a fairly rare event :lol:
Cruachan is a fabulous viewpoint :D - maybe the best in the Southern Highlands, but It's never as clear as in Winter :(

Summit views - mostly at maximum magnification
7087b.JPG
Above: There isn't much high ground to the South: beyond Loch Awe is Loch Fyne and Arran in the distance: Below Detail Arran
7084.JPG
Above: The Arrochar Alps : Beinn Donich far R, then Beinn an Lochain : Ben Ime centre with the Cobbler's twin peaks to its R Below: Southern Mull
7111.JPG
Ben Lui - L of centre with the Crianlarich peaks behind: In the R foreground the 739m Graham Meall nan Tighearn
7096.JPG
Above: Another view a bit further L Below: Zoomed - At the back are Ben More, Stobinian (almost hidden) and Cruach Ardrain
7111a.jpg
Zoomed further
7093.JPG
Above Across the Firth of Lorn to Mull - with Rum behind - and Ben More (Mull) on the R Below: Detail of Rum - Hallival R with Askival on its L
7105.JPG
Looking on along the ridge
711114.jpg
Above: The Etive and Glen Coe peaks - Ben Starav L Below: Up Loch Etive - Trilleachan L with the Ben at the back - towering over the landscape
7100.JPG
The Taynuilt peak
7102.JPG
Scarba - and Corryvrechan - if it had been clearer I could have told which way the tide was flowing :lol:

I started down the same descent path, but after only about 20m cut down R towards the bealach. There were a number of "scrambly" sections on which I'm not as fast as I used to be :lol: but the climb back to Stob Dearg posed no problems although there was only the vestige of a path - clearly few people visit this splendid peak
7117.JPG
On the descent - looking back to the main peak

Stob Dearg summit photos
7120.JPG
Above: Looking down the lower part of Loch Etive to the falls of Lora under the bridge at Connel Below: Upper Loch Etive, Trilleachan and the Ben: Snow cover was very patchy but there is some showing in the North - Maybe the Affric peaks
7126.JPG
Looking back to the main peak
7132.JPG
Ben Starav L - with the twin peaks of the Buchaille behind in centre and Creise to their R
7129b.JPG
Above: Looking over Beinn Eunaich L of centre to Achaladair, Beinn Dothaidh and Beinn Dorain: Ben Challuim far R Below: Detail of the Snowy peaks in the previous photo: looking down Glen Lyon I guess to Sheasgarnaich with Ben Lawers behind

Apart from climbing most of the way back up the main peak, the only way to Meall Cuanail seemed to be a diagonal traverse - but there was no sign of even a "trod". There was also an area of continuous slabs that I decided to traverse above
7135.JPG
[Above: The main summit and the diagonal traverse down to the Bealach an Lochain Below: Detail of the slabs[/i]
There were no significant problems with the descent and I stopped and had a drink from a tiny stream a few hundred metres above the bealach. I expected to find water on the descent from Meall Cuanail so I didn't try to fill my bottle :(
7138.JPG
Looking back up the descent
7141.JPG
and on to the bealach
I managed the short ascent to Meall Cuanail quite easily and descended beside the fence - but I found no water at all and was pretty thirsty when I reached the dam.
7144.JPG
Looking back from Meall Cuanail - the descent looks quite a bit longer from here
I didn't fancy the water in the stream below the dam, so when I reached the dreaded stile I was well knackered :( :lol: - There was no way I was going over it, so pushing my sack in front of me I crawled through the "dog" hole :lol: :lol: :lol: - . My legs had now ceased to do what the brain was telling them :lol: , so I took the steep section in the woods with extreme care - and when I got back to the car I was amazed to find I had been out for not far short of ten hours :shock: :shock:
Where had the time gone? I had been on the main peak in a reasonable time (for me) of under 4 hours and I'd spent quite a time on each of the three summits admiring the view. But the trip to Stob Dearg and back looks to have taken over 3 hours :shock:
I drove back to Tyndrum and had an excellent and very reasonably priced bar meal at the Tyndrum inn :D :D
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by past my sell by date on Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Cruachan revisited

Postby Jaxter » Mon May 27, 2019 11:13 am

Nice to see someone has some luck on Cruachan :roll: :lol:

Can highly recommend the steak pie at the tyndrum inn! 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby dav2930 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:58 pm

Looked a cracking day out with splendid views. Cruachan is a very fine hill - I remember it well, though I haven't been up it since 1999. Maybe it's time I revisited it too! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby past my sell by date » Tue May 28, 2019 3:07 pm

Jaxter wrote:Nice to see someone has some luck on Cruachan :roll: :lol:

Can highly recommend the steak pie at the tyndrum inn! 8)

I had the gammon egg and chips - good wholesome food at a reasonable price :)
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby past my sell by date » Tue May 28, 2019 3:09 pm

dav2930 wrote:Looked a cracking day out with splendid views. Cruachan is a very fine hill - I remember it well, though I haven't been up it since 1999. Maybe it's time I revisited it too! :)

It is a great hill and the Taynuilt peak is a very worthy Munro top No. 74 in the height tables and - as I found out - not as easy to get to as it looks :) coincidentally it was 1999 that I did it
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland