walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Nantlle Ridge - Moel Hebog round ... repeated

Nantlle Ridge - Moel Hebog round ... repeated

Postby Alteknacker » Thu May 23, 2019 11:07 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Craig Cwm Silyn, Moel Hebog, Moel Lefn, Moel yr Ogof, Mynydd Drws-y-coed, Mynydd Tal-y-mignedd, Trum y Ddysgl

Date walked: 21/05/2019

Time taken: 11.5

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 2136m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Richard Gilbert's wonderful "200 Challenging Walks in Britain and Ireland" contains some seriously motivating photos - of amongst others: Suilven, Liathach, Aonach Eagach, An Teallach, Coire Mhic Fhearchair, the Mamores and ... the Nantlle Ridge. And it got me hooked on the idea of walking the ridge long before I really started getting serious about this hill business.
This is the guilty pic.

Inspiring, or what????

So some time in summer 2014 Dr Frank and I walked the route, linking the Nantlle ridge in with the Moel Hebog - Moel Lefn ridge. We had a great day; but somehow or other we both managed to misplace our pics of the trip. So what better excuse to walk it again??? Unfortunately Dr Frank, not yet fully retired, was working, so it had to be a solo walk.

We'd had a good bit of excellent weather recently, but the Tuesday promised to be especially fine - sunny all day - so this was the day I opted for, and following pretty well exactly the same route we'd taken the first time.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Leaving home at shortly after 05.00am, it is already light, and an uneventful run sees me arrive at Rhyd Ddu at 07.30.
Image20190521-073434. All the signs are that the weather will indeed live up to the forecast. This pic, looking roughly south west, shows the planned first hill of the day - Y Garn - on the right, with Mynydd Drws-y-coed just to the left of it; and on the far left the final planned hills for the days (to be tackled in this order): from left to right, Moel Hebog; Moel yr Ogof and Moel Lefn.

Image20190521-074819-2. While looking west the top of Snowdon is wreathed in early morning cloud, and to the right of it Yr Aran stands clear like a miniature volcano.

Image20190521-080651-2. My plan is to ascend Y Garn via the west crags (Western Arete), notwithstanding Steve Ashton's terse introduction to it in "Scrambles in Snowdonia": "This mostly unpleasant and insecure route is of little interest except to competent scramblers determined to begin a traverse of the Nantlle Ridge with a tough ascent." - so this is where I head first.

Image20190521-081358-2-R. As I approach the crag looks really quite tasty; but what one doesn't see properly until right up close to it is that the bedding planes of the rock slope at about 45 degrees outwards and downwards, meaning that good hand and foot placements are relatively few and far between. Moreover, there's a lot of pretty loose rock as a consequence: it's quite unnerving to test a large (200 kg?) rock prior to weighting it, and have it move under an arm-pull load :shock: .
ImageEeeerrr....

Image20190521-084526. In any event I get going; and I have to admit I find it quite tough. In addition to the iffy rock conditions, there are turf-covered sections, in places almost vertical, where it takes a good long while to get hand and foot placements I can have any confidence in. So it's something of a relief to get to this location about half-way up where I can take a breather.

Image20190521-084853-2-R. This is one route I started on, and then thought better of: there are no decent holds in the crack, and I neither wanted to wreck my knuckles with fist jams, nor to end up falling (the consequences of which would undoubtedly be prejudicial to good health).

Image20190521-092444-2-R2. However, by way of compensation, there are some good and enjoyable bare rock sections also...

Image20190521-094215. ...and a superb view of the south west crags of Mynydd Mawr, which I must get to some day.

Image20190521-094242. When I eventually get to the summit, though, some 90 minutes after starting the scramble, I'm pretty cream-crackered, and the scars and trickling blood on my knees and shins bears silent but eloquent testimony to the effort of trying to survive! I sit for a good while, recuperating and enjoying breakfast and the excellent views in all directions: all but one of the hills I'm planning on summiting today are visible. Doesn't seem too far, really... :roll:

Image20190521-094242-labelled.

Image20190521-102159. After half an hour or so in which I almost doze off in the warm sunshine, I pull myself together and get started towards the next summit, Mynydd Drws-y-coed. It's a superb ridge walk from here all the way through to Garnedd-goch: rough but easy walking on the actual ridge itself - this pic shows the typical terrain - with magnificent views in every direction.

Image20190521-103125. The steep crags of MDyC viewed from the summit (LHS), and those of Trum y Ddysgl facing.

Image20190521-103534-3-R. Looking back at the same crags on the way to Trum y Ddysgl - dramatic stuff!

Image20190521-104606. Looking back ENE from the summit of Trum y Ddysgl, Mynydd Drws-y-coed in the centre, with the Snowdon range behind, and Y Garn to the LHS.

Image20190521-104631-2. And ahead the next target - Mynydd Tal-y-mygnedd - to the right (the obelisk on the summit is just visible) while in the centre background is Craig Cwm Silyn.

The first time we did this round, both Dr Frank and I climbed the obelisk; so of course I had to repeat it. Discovering when I did that a) the maximum delay on my phone camera is 10 seconds; and b) I can't get to the top in 10 seconds!!
Image20190521-111116.
But enough of this persiflage!!!

Onwards to Craig Cwm Silyn.
Image20190521-112753.

Which I reach in reasonable time - happily the effects of AF don't seem to be too acute today.
Image20190521-114843. Excellent views looking back east.

Image20190521-114843-labelled.

Image20190521-120826. The same in panorama.

Image20190521-120857. And ahead (WSW), just to the left of the high point, is Garnedd-goch, the last summit I'm aiming for on this ridge.

But first I want to take a good look at a couple of climbs on the north west side of Craig Cwm Silyn: the Craig Fawr Rib on Craig yr Ogof (a Grade 3 scramble); and the Outside Edge Route on the Great Slab (V.Diff. climb). So I wander across to the edge of the crags, and am afforded a first rate view of the Llynau Cwm Silyn.
Image20190521-125412.

First I poke around for a while at the top of Craig yr Ogof looking for a sensible route down to the start - the scramble starts from quite high up the crag.

And once I think I've found a reasonable route, I move round to the western edge .... and quite suddenly and dramatically the Great Slab comes into view.
Image20190521-130046-2. Definitely a sight to quicken the pulse! After sitting and studying it for a while, I see that there is already a climber on the face, albeit doing a different route.

I walk a little further round the edge of the crag to get the best view, and then settle down to watch the climbers for a while.
Image20190521-132503-2.

The climber is just about visible in the centre on this zoomed pic.
Image20190521-132503-Z.

I alternate between studying through my binocs the Outside Edge route and the climbers. Once I've identified what looks like a decent route, I get moving again, not least because it's very windy, and being dressed Malky style (shorts!) I'm getting quite chilly, notwithstanding the sun. (PS if anyone fancies doing these two routes, ping me a PM... - I plan to do them this year).

A few minutes walk gets me to the summit of Garnedd-goch.
Image20190521-133431. This shot is looking back along the Nantlle Ridge...

Image20190521-133529. ... while this is looking south east towards Tremadoc Bay and Traeth Bach.

Image20190521-133813. And now a longish, but easy descent into Cwm Pennant...

Image20190521-142525 ...just at the end through a small wood carpeted throughout with bluebells.

Image20190521-143041 I arrive at the swimming dub in the Afon Dwyfor that Dr Frank and I discovered on our first round, and where I subsequently camped ( and swam!!!) with my grandsons. Magical.
I take a long rest in this peaceful place in preparation for the long long slog up to Moel Hebog.

Having eventually gathered some strength, I set off more or less as the crow flies across the fields towards the south shoulder of Moel Hebog.
Image20190521-145506. This shot is looking back ESE towards Cwm Pennant, with Garnedd-goch in the far background, centre.

After this it's just a protracted sweaty slog. The terrain isn't at all difficult, but the slope is unrelenting, and I now begin to feel the effects of the AF.

But eventually, by dint of repeatedly putting one foot in front of the other, I do get there. And take a looooong rest.
Image20190521-164837. This view is looking from the summit north west towards Moel yr Ogof, with the whole of the Nantlle Ridge visible in the background.

Image20190521-164837-labelled.

Image20190521-171217. On the way to Moel yr Ogof - easy going.

Image20190521-172005. Looking NNW from the summit of Moel yr Ogof towards Moel Lefn...

Image20190521-173812. ...and back towards Moel yr Ogof and Moel Hebog from the summit of Moel Lefn.

More or less all downhill from here. The car is parked just to the left of the Llyn in the far background.
Image20190521-174544.

I get back to the car at about 18.45, and head immediately back home (I've promised the CEO to try to be back by a specific time), pausing only briefly at a local establishment of historical, cultural and architectural distinction in order to replace some of the vitamins and minerals missing as a result of "insensible loss" in the heat of the day.
ImageCwellyn Arms.

Summary: a magical day. Just a pity Dr Frank wasn't available to enjoy it with me.
ImageNantlle Ridge - Hebog-Lefn Ridge 3D.
Last edited by Alteknacker on Sun May 26, 2019 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Nantlle Ridge - Moel Hebog round ... repeated

Postby goingforawii » Thu May 23, 2019 11:50 pm

Cracking report. I was so close to actually being on this walk on the same day - but had some work come in late on Monday. Glad you had some blinding weather :D
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

Postby dav2930 » Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am

What an inspiring report AK. I'm not at all familiar with the Nantle Ridge but your report has certainly persuaded me that it's a must-do! Well worth the repeat, both for the walk itself and the wonderful pics you got this time round. :thumbup:

That scramble does look a bit iffy I must say (the jamming crack looks good! :wink: ). The good thing about a tough and scary experience like that is it makes you appreciate just being alive when you get to the top :lol: All the cuts and grazes tell you you've done something! :clap:

The Great Slab of Craig yr Ogof looks superb - some classic routes on there! :)

Btw, we did the Cioch Nose on the very same day as you did this. Report in progress.
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sgurr » Sun May 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Good to see the Nantlle Ridge in good weather. What a lovely time you had....and excellent report.

Even though we didn't go up the hard way like you, we terrified ourselves by doing it in rain and a high wind. We should just have swung out and back again to do the Marilyn, but stupidly thought it would be quicker to go direct.

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Borderhugh » Tue May 28, 2019 3:41 pm

We did the Nantille Ridge last year in clag. I think a repeat is on the cards at the Welsh Meet.
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:50 am

goingforawii wrote:Cracking report. I was so close to actually being on this walk on the same day - but had some work come in late on Monday. Glad you had some blinding weather :D

Thanks GFW. Heck though - that's a bit of a bummer with the work! Everything is so much easier once one is retired!!!

dav2930 wrote:What an inspiring report AK. I'm not at all familiar with the Nantle Ridge but your report has certainly persuaded me that it's a must-do! Well worth the repeat, both for the walk itself and the wonderful pics you got this time round. :thumbup:

That scramble does look a bit iffy I must say (the jamming crack looks good! :wink: ). The good thing about a tough and scary experience like that is it makes you appreciate just being alive when you get to the top :lol: All the cuts and grazes tell you you've done something! :clap:

The Great Slab of Craig yr Ogof looks superb - some classic routes on there! :)

Btw, we did the Cioch Nose on the very same day as you did this. Report in progress.

Thanks dav - it's a pretty inspiring round in decent weather. I made a wrong call in doing the Y Garn scramble, which I realised once I saw the Great Slab. I'm definitely going to take a really close look at that this summer.

Read you Cioch Nose report - really excellent, though I don't see myself attempting to solo it :shock: .

Sgurr wrote:Good to see the Nantlle Ridge in good weather. What a lovely time you had....and excellent report.

Even though we didn't go up the hard way like you, we terrified ourselves by doing it in rain and a high wind. We should just have swung out and back again to do the Marilyn, but stupidly thought it would be quicker to go direct.

Thanks Sgurr. It sure is fine in good weather. I can imagine though, how one could scare oneself in poor visibility - there are some big drops to the north!

Borderhugh wrote:We did the Nantille Ridge last year in clag. I think a repeat is on the cards at the Welsh Meet.

I did it first time in good weather, and I can confirm that even then it will bear a repeat!!! (PS when is the Welsh meet? Is it already planned? I unfortunately missed anything arranged on Facebook, because I don't use it :( ).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:14 pm

The Nantlle ridge is tremendous and shown off in all its glory in this report. I must admit your attempts to climb the obelisk in 10 seconds made me smile :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:56 am

Lovely and entertaining report :clap: . I don't know the Nantle Ridge, but totally see why the Gilbert photo drew you there! Wow. Some of your route sounded pretty terrifying, but it also sounds as though your shoulder's behaving which is good. Absolutely love your pics of the full ridge, really beautiful, and of the climbers on the slab. You're so close to such a great area for walking and scrambling, I'm green with envy. :sick: See!
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:13 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:The Nantlle ridge is tremendous and shown off in all its glory in this report. I must admit your attempts to climb the obelisk in 10 seconds made me smile :lol:

Indeed it is - so much so that I'm planning to do it again shortly, this time with Dr Frank, who's keen to make up for what he missed.

I can't think why you saw fit to be amused at my timed race up the obelisk....

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Lovely and entertaining report :clap: . I don't know the Nantle Ridge, but totally see why the Gilbert photo drew you there! Wow. Some of your route sounded pretty terrifying, but it also sounds as though your shoulder's behaving which is good. Absolutely love your pics of the full ridge, really beautiful, and of the climbers on the slab. You're so close to such a great area for walking and scrambling, I'm green with envy. :sick: See!

Thanks Emma. The route was actually a bit iffy in places, and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. The Great Slab is a different matter altogether though ....!!!
Yes, the shoulder really is behaving (sadly the AF less so).
And yes, I'm quite close to Snowdonia - 1.75 - 2.5 hours, depending in which bit I'm going to. But it's also quite a bit closer to the South Downs than Scotland (it takes me about 3.5 hours to get to my son's place in Hove)! And what's also very attractive about Snowdonia - and it took a Scot at a WH meet to point this out to me - is that it's all incredibly compact (a bit like Arran), so that there's a huge amount one can do with minimal travel.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby Riverman » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:04 pm

Kick ass report of one of the best ridge walks in Wales!
Riverman
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:87
Wainwrights:4   Islands:4

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:15 pm

Riverman wrote:Kick ass report of one of the best ridge walks in Wales!

Thanks Riverman. It certainly is one of the finest ridge walks in Wales, topped perhaps only by the Rhinogs....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby Borderhugh » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:00 am

Hi Alan, I have pm'ed you. Hugh
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland