walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An amusing Hill of Stake traverse

An amusing Hill of Stake traverse

Postby malky_c » Wed May 29, 2019 8:32 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Stake

Date walked: 26/05/2019

Time taken: 6.2 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 770m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2k Marilyns: Hill of Stake.
Date: 26/05/2019.
Distance: 23 km.
Ascent: 770m.
Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes.
Weather: Showery, grey, very windy.

Originally Saturday morning had looked like the time for getting out, but as it got closer, the front bringing poor weather appeared to be passing through earlier and earlier. In the end, Sunday afternoon was the time to do something. Feeling lazy, neither Jackie or I fancied going too far or driving anywhere, so I quickly came up with a linear route using the train. I'd never thought of using the train to get to Hill of Stake before, but it's really easy from Glasgow, and perfectly possible to finish in a different place too. I fancied an east to west traverse as Largs was a nicer place to kill time waiting for the train than Lochwinnoch, and also because I thought we'd get some nice evening views out over Arran and Bute. There was a strong westerly forecast that Jackie pointed out, but I decided this wouldn't be an issue......

Map.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

No early start required, but we were still off the train at Lochwinnoch by 2pm. A heavy shower had just eased off.

Lochwinnoch station

Castle Semple Loch

A short walk along the pavement took us to the edge of the village, which we skirted, taking a minor road up past the golf course. This climbed up onto the hillside and ended at a house, where we picked up a faint track through fields. I wasn't sure what this track was going to be like - was it a new one for a prospective windfarm?

Heading onto the hills

Looking back to Lochwinnoch

Misty Law ahead

No - it was a farm track, so pleasantly green. On the downside, it was also wet and puddly in places. It led pleasantly through open moorland and outcrops. When Misty Law came into view, it looked an awfully long way away, and even down at 300m, the wind was quite strong. How would it be up high? At least the rain was confined to a few short showers that never really got going.

Turnave Hill

Approaching Misty Law

Glasgow and Paisley always visible in the background

The track ran out just before the summit cone - Misty Law is quite a nice looking hill close up - much more conical and prominent than the map suggests. A steep couple of minutes led to the summit cairn, where it was really windy :roll: . I was finding the wind both tedious and a bit of a conversation killer, but being substantially lighter than me, Jackie was getting blown all over the place. She was not happy about this at all, especially as she was already feeling a bit ropey before we started :lol: .

Misty Law

The way over to Hill of Stake looked straightforward enough, but quite a distance :shock: . Having read another report years ago, I had vague memories of mention of a path and a fence to follow the whole way. There was no fence at first, and the path was intermittent and faint at best - nothing for it but to pull up our collars and battle on with it. Any time we found enough shelter to speak, Jackie reminded me that doing the walk this way round was a stupid idea :lol: .

Angry on Hill of Stake - this trig point needs a good kick!

Finally, Hill of Stake. Again quite a pleasing summit itself, although it soon dissolved into bog and hags around the base of the summit cone. Now we were more than halfway - just another 6 (or maybe 7 if we didn't take an arrow-straight route!) miles of pathless tussocks, facing into the wind! Although I had planned to stay up higher, we dropped into the glen of the Greeto Water, which would lead us to a path relatively close to Largs. Easy navigation - just follow the water!

Looking back up Greeto Water

Overall navigation was certainly easy, but the intervening ground was not -there were all manner of ascents, small burns to cross and tussocks to deal with. At least the wind was a little more bearable, although still annoying as hell. 'I'd rather be anywhere else than here!' Jackie was heard to say on more than one occasion...

Another bit of ascent and contouring

I wasn't finding it anywhere near as bad, but the long trek down (and sometimes up) the glen was something to be endured rather than enjoyed. Despite telling myself the bridge and path we were aiming for was miles away, I couldn't help get my hopes up a couple of times, only to have them dashed by rounding a corner and seeing another stretch of pathless glen ahead!

After another of these corners, Jackie suggested we follow a wall up onto the ridge bounding the north side of the glen, just for some variation so we wouldn't be contouring up and down all the time. It was a good move, as we finally got some views over Great Cumbrae and Bute, as well as a dark smudge indicating where Arran was. Yes, we probably should have gone the other way around, as the views weren't really up to the standard I was hoping for :roll: .

Bute

Great Cumbrae

Across Bute

We could now see a radio mast on the next hill on the ridge - this was above the path we wanted. A weary traverse down past this hill (but not over it!) took us to the path, which was now a big track to a hydro scheme. Less scenic than it probably was before, but our feet were relieved!

Looking towards Hunterston power station

Gorge on the Greeto Water

Now it was just an easy stroll downhill into Largs, where it started raining again and we discovered we'd just missed the 7:55pm train by a couple of minutes. Never mind - a chance for a meal and a pint before getting the next train, which was nice and quiet.

Finally Largs!

Largs and Great Cumbrae (with Bute behind)

I think Jackie has forgiven me for coming up with this plan, but possibly not entirely! Still, it was tough enough to perhaps push her back towards nice, easy big hills with paths on them again :lol: .
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland