walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Few of my Favourite Things

A Few of my Favourite Things

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun May 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great End, Seathwaite Fell

Hewitts included on this walk: Great End

Date walked: 10/04/2019

Time taken: 6

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 1097m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With Hughie back in tow and a superb forecast I was back to the Lakes once again and made a bee line for one of it's finest valleys in the shape of Borrowdale. An early start saw me grab a parking spot quite near the end of the road and most importantly off the road. I'm not sure I fancy coming back to a car with half the side removed by a passing farm vehicle which happened to a few visitors last summer. Some strategically placed boulders have been used to ease the situation which hopefully will not be repeated. My targets for the day were Seathwaite Fell, Great End, the Birkett of Round How and Esk Pike with the main questions being just how I would string them together?

It was a stunning morning with clear skies, a touch of frost in the fields, light winds and we were soon treading the familiar path to Stockley Bridge. I went left intending on climbing Seathwaite fell first but at this point still unsure as to which way I would take. The map has two promising gullies both of which are mentioned by Wainwright, the first one very steep and the second less so but quite loose, something I had discovered while descending Seathwaite Fell a few years back.

ImageSeathwaite Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAaron Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageInto the Sunshine by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBorrowdale by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Light Breaking over Glaramara by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageMorning light on Aaron Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I chose the first gully, thinking contouring around to the other would be OK if I found it not to my liking. It was a very steep pull up to the start and as advertised things just got steeper once the climb was underway. In all honesty it wasn't too bad with only an iced up section, which required a bit of a detour causing any difficulty and we soon topped out and headed for the grassy summit of Aaron Crags. This is a beautiful spot and I had breakfast taking in the majestic view down Borrowdale as the sunlight unlocked the valley from shade pouring over the Glaramara Ridge.

Ascent route ahead by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePanorama from the gully by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Borrowdale from the top of Aaron Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePanorama from Aaron Crags by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Following breakfast we set off on the steady plod up to the Wainwright top of Seathwaite Fell, this as AW admitted isn't the high point but the highest point towards the end of the broad tarn pocked ridge. Seathwaite fell has a lot of tarns, most of which help form some beautiful views to the higher grander fells which surround this unheralded eminence. I do really like Seathwaite Fell as it provides so many nooks and crannies and interesting views that I could probably happily spend a whole day up here just exploring and I took time time as I made my way to the highest point (which is a Hewitt) before heading off past Sprinkling Tarn towards the Corridor route.

Wainwright top of Seathwaite Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Frozen Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Another of Seathwaite Fell's Tarns by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat End and Lingmell from Seathwaite Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLingmell Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageActual summit of Seathwaite Fell - Great Slack by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLight on water by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat End and Sprinkling Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

As I came off Seathwaite Fell I felt an unwelcome twinge in my knee, an old injury which I'm familiar with so I decided to see if I could walk it off along the Corridor route. The fact that I would see plenty of other walkers over the next couple of miles wasn't a surprise, what was however was the fact none of them appeared to know where they were going. :?
First a couple who along with a (German?) gentleman who wasn't really with them were heading up towards Sprinkling Tarn wanting to know if this was the Corridor route and then while on the Corridor route a group of lads from Merseyside asked "Is this the way to Pike?". I replied they were going in the exact opposite direction to which one sparked up, "see I told you we should have gone up that waterfall!". I assured them they didn't want to be going up any waterfalls and to just turn around and keep on the path. Having turned them around I strode off not really wanting to be an unpaid guide to many waifs and strays but as I could see them behind me I knew they were now on the right track so I was guilt free.

ImageLingmell Crag and Piers Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Skew Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Corridor route rounds Stand Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The good news was my knee had calmed down somewhat so I could continue and enjoy this fine path with the sight of Skew Gill filled with sunlight being particularly memorable. I reached Greta Gill and decided to have a rest until the lads from Birkenhead had passed by, before setting off up to Round How. A steep struggle later we topped out on this fine grassy summit and decided to to sit and have lunch with my boots off enjoying the views. Broad Crag and Lingmell Crag both looked magnificent from here but just as impressive was the wide grassy amphitheatre which is hidden from walkers who don't stray from the main trade routes.

ImageBroad Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNorth from Round How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLingmell Crag from Round How by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat End and Ill Crag by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The way suggested from Wainwright from here is to continue up Greta Gill but I had PMd Trailmasher to see if he knew of any other practicable routes up Great End from this side. He had kindly suggested heading up the valley to the east of Lambfoot Dub. This had led me to look at a few images of this tiny tarn and made my mind up to pay it a visit. I wasn't disappointed as it's a wonderful intimate location with some very nice views.

ImageLong Pike from Lambfoot Dub by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie at Lambfoot Dub by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLingmell from Lambfoot Dub by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Gables from Lambfoot Dub by Anthony Young, on Flickr

To the East, as I stood by the tarn, Great End reared up with Long Pike looking very prominent. It looked very steep and rough but as I'd come this far and my knee now felt OK up we went. For a good way this ascent was on grass but without any hint of a path. I do like off piste routes like this due to that sense of adventure they bring to a day, not that plenty people won't have already been this way previously but with no footprints you can pretend. As we got closer to Long Pike a few options were obvious. To my left there were a couple of possibilities close to Long Pike but as one looked largely full of snow and the other looked very green, steep and probably slippy I headed over a boulder field to aim for the gully on the right. This was a bit lose underfoot but the snow was easily by passed and following a fine struggle to gain the summit plateau the incline eased and we rested for a while. Well I did, Hughie found a patch of his favourite thing and set about doing whatever mad things he does with snow. :shock:

On the way up Great End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLong Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePanorama from near the top of the Climb by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageView to the Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageThe Pike again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie with his favourite thing by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Another Boulder field traversed and we were finally at the summit of Great End. This place will always be emotional for me as it was here Grace, Nicola, myself and of course Hughie all completed the Wainwrights on a superb day a few years back. I took in the sights with thoughts drifting back to that unforgettable day three and a half years ago thinking it would be nice for us all to revisit one day. Given the enjoyable ascent on that day up the Band and today's wild excursion up a little visited route Great End is definitely one of my favourite fells.

ImageSummit of Great End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageIll Crag and Scafell Pike by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNorth from Great End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie on Great End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

I had intended to tack on an out and back to Esk Pike but given the amount of rough boulders and stony paths so far I decided Hughie's poor paws had probably had quite enough for one day so it was left for another day as we headed straight down the Grains Gill path.

ImageThe Langdales, Esk Pike and Bowfell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGreat End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTop of Central Gully by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Ruddy Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking back to Great End by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Grains Gill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Stockley Bridge by Anthony Young, on Flickr

This was a walk to live long in the memory as it contained so many of my favourite things, the underrated Seathwaite Fell, a new top in the shape of Round How, a beautiful quiet location at Lambfoot dub, a fine rough "off piste" route (thanks again TM) and an emotional re-visit to the magnificent summit of Great End, Wonderful :D

Great End.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A Few of my Favourite Things

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon May 20, 2019 9:41 am

Brilliant photos of this marvellous area. I often wonder if AW visited Seathwaite Fell on wet days and that dampened his enthusiasm for it. Such a fascinating area of hollows and little tarns - quite similar to Haystacks really... but it doesn't quite get the same write-up in "Lakeland Fells" that Haystacks does!

Lovely to see Lambfoot Dub as well, a wonderful spot I think.

Have you done the Cust's Gully route to the summit of Great End? If not, I highly recommend it (although Hughie might need lifting over the rocks in a couple of places).

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue May 21, 2019 3:17 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Brilliant photos of this marvellous area. I often wonder if AW visited Seathwaite Fell on wet days and that dampened his enthusiasm for it. Such a fascinating area of hollows and little tarns - quite similar to Haystacks really... but it doesn't quite get the same write-up in "Lakeland Fells" that Haystacks does!

Lovely to see Lambfoot Dub as well, a wonderful spot I think.

Have you done the Cust's Gully route to the summit of Great End? If not, I highly recommend it (although Hughie might need lifting over the rocks in a couple of places).

Tim

Many thanks for your kind words Tim. I think from what I've read Cust's Gully may be a little beyond my rudimentary scrambling abilities, it does look fantastic however.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Alteknacker » Fri May 24, 2019 10:23 pm

If the reality is even half as good as the photos, this is definitely a route worth doing, notwithstanding it not being on "the main trade routes."

A great report :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby trailmasher » Wed May 29, 2019 7:40 pm

This is the first opportunity that I've had for a while to be able to pay a visit to WH for a catch up and was looking forward to reading your GE report and I wasn't disappointed Anthony :D I endorse all that you say about this walk which has a great mixture of walking terrain and magnificent views 8) and as you point out a day could be well spent on Seathwaite Fell alone :)
I see that there was quite a bit of snow lying, more than there was around High Street the same day and it does add a little something as it sparkles in the spring sunshine and is of course a great way for the Hughie's of the world to cool down :lol: :lol: A great report and of course the usual excellent images :clap: :clap:

BTW, did you not fancy slipping Middleboot Knotts into the equation :?: you were so close to it just off the side of Piers Gill west of the Corridor Route :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed May 29, 2019 8:07 pm

Alteknacker wrote:If the reality is even half as good as the photos, this is definitely a route worth doing, notwithstanding it not being on "the main trade routes."

Many thanks Alte, the possibilities from Seathwaite are huge with so many great fells and routes to link up. It really is one of the Lakes best starting points.

trailmasher wrote:This is the first opportunity that I've had for a while to be able to pay a visit to WH for a catch up and was looking forward to reading your GE report and I wasn't disappointed Anthony :D I endorse all that you say about this walk which has a great mixture of walking terrain and magnificent views 8) and as you point out a day could be well spent on Seathwaite Fell alone :)
I see that there was quite a bit of snow lying, more than there was around High Street the same day and it does add a little something as it sparkles in the spring sunshine and is of course a great way for the Hughie's of the world to cool down :lol: :lol: A great report and of course the usual excellent images :clap: :clap:

BTW, did you not fancy slipping Middleboot Knotts into the equation :?: you were so close to it just off the side of Piers Gill west of the Corridor Route :wink:

Thank you for your kind words TM, this really was a great day out. I was planning on visiting Middleboot Knott's but with my knee playing up and a potential serious ascent up Great End pending I gave it a miss. I have actually been up the path by Piers Gill but can't remember if I visited that top or not so I haven't gave it a tic.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby dav2930 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:19 pm

Superb. What a glorious day. It really is great to get off the beaten track in places like that isn't it? So much to explore. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby trailmasher » Thu May 30, 2019 7:19 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:If the reality is even half as good as the photos, this is definitely a route worth doing, notwithstanding it not being on "the main trade routes."

Many thanks Alte, the possibilities from Seathwaite are huge with so many great fells and routes to link up. It really is one of the Lakes best starting points.

trailmasher wrote:This is the first opportunity that I've had for a while to be able to pay a visit to WH for a catch up and was looking forward to reading your GE report and I wasn't disappointed Anthony :D I endorse all that you say about this walk which has a great mixture of walking terrain and magnificent views 8) and as you point out a day could be well spent on Seathwaite Fell alone :)

Thank you for your kind words TM, this really was a great day out. I was planning on visiting Middleboot Knott's but with my knee playing up and a potential serious ascent up Great End pending I gave it a miss.

I have actually been up the path by Piers Gill but can't remember if I visited that top or not so I haven't gave it a tic.

Went up Piers Gill last week then GE by the Greta Gill route that is easier than the one from Lambfoot Dub but still a good way to go :D
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland