walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sunshine on Sgurr Mor and Sgurr an Fhuarain, Loch Arkaig.

Sunshine on Sgurr Mor and Sgurr an Fhuarain, Loch Arkaig.

Postby JimboJim » Fri May 31, 2019 6:37 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mòr and Sgùrr an Fhuarain, Loch Arkaig

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Mòr (Loch Quoich)

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr an Fhuarain

Date walked: 15/05/2019

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22.2 km

Ascent: 1527m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast was looking ok and I was hopeful I'd get away with Big Jesper, for his return after a bad back injury. Alas, events conspired against him. (Get well soon, Alasdair!)
Sgurr Dearg 007_1024_768.JPG
Nice early morning reflections on Loch Arkaig.

Forecast meant looking around the Kintail region. Eventually opted to try and get Sgurr Mor out the way, though hadn't felt enthused about tackling it from reading reports. As it was, I had a cracking day and fair enjoyed myself, though it was no stroll in the park.
Sgurr Dearg 013_1024_643.JPG
Time to reflect.

Great drive up, with some stunning views on the roller coaster along Loch Arkaig :) Absolutely beautiful! Only distraction was two separate cars who drove for miles with me in their wing mirrors, apparently yet to suss meaning of "passing place." Thought I would be only one at car park, but instead, could hardly get a place. Don't mention motorhomes. Oooops, I just did :lol:
Sgurr Dearg 010_1024_768.JPG
Think that's Gulvain up on left. Perhaps, Streap or, Sgurr Thuilm, the pointy one?

Set off along the prescribed route, basking in early sunshine, enjoying the views and wondering if the midges were planning their first assault of the year. As it was, their annual fast continued for a few days more :)
Sgurr Dearg 008_1024_663.JPG
Bidein a' Chabair, from Loch Arkaig
Sgurr Dearg 017_1024_768.JPG
Strathan. Streap, a Corbett, left and Sgurr Thuilm, right.

Looked amazing into Glen Dessary. Who carried in the bricks for that lodge?! And Bidean a'Chabhair looks a beaut. Bet I'm not first to think "that will be Sgurr nan Ciche, then." :lol:
Sgurr Dearg 018_1024_768.JPG
Bidean a'Chabhair, 859m, doing a good impersonation of Sgurr na Ciche :)

A few other walkers about, one of whom I spotted well above me as I departed from the road, having crossed the wee bridge before the farm. Quite a climb up to the pass, then Sgurr Mor appears somewhat shrunken looking, as one meanders round the boggy bits, heading for Glen Kingie.

Looking down on the glen, Sgurr Mor now began to look a much tougher nut to crack. Stopped to discuss plans with the other guy. Had different agenda, so went our own ways. I stuck to left of several deep gouges straight ahead. He went more to the west, in a reversal of what was to be my way dowe.
Sgurr Dearg 032_1024_675.JPG
After the hard slog up, a look out to the Corbett, Sgurr an Fhuarain.
Sgurr Dearg 043_1024_685.JPG
Looking back along ridge to Sgurr Mor. Sgurr na Ciche beyond.

It was steep and hard going, right up to the bealach. I've no great ambitions to do all the Corbett's, but as it "only a little extra effort," felt it was worth doing Sgurr an Fhuarain first 😁 It didn't feel like only a little extra effort when I finished the walk!
Sgurr Dearg 044_1024_284.JPG
The approach pass between Fraoch Bheinn and Druim a' Chuirn, round to Sgurr Mor.
20190515_111541_1024_576.jpg
Sgurr a'Mhaoraich, on the other side of Loch Quoich.
20190515_112135_1024_626.jpg
Sgurr Mor, from Sgurr an Fhuarain.

By now it was more hazy, but still enjoyed good views over Loch Quoich, Ben Nevis and back along nice ridge to Sgurr Mor. Retraced my steps to the bealach and set off on the nice climb to the summit. Met the other chap, who was descending coming the opposite direction. Took under the hour from one top to the other. Sgurr nan Ciche and Knoydart look magnificent.
Sgurr Dearg 071_1024_245.JPG
Pano west, of Knoydart hills.
Sgurr Dearg 072_1024_279.JPG
South Glenshiel Ridge, Loch Quoich & Gairich.
20190515_122744_1024_590.jpg
Sgurr na Ciche 3.

What to do now? Was feeling pretty jiggered, but I like my circular routes, so decided to carry on round, off the SW ridge, which was quite pleaseant, but on contemplating the extra 150m ascent going over Sgurr Beag and resultant longer trip back, decided just to drop down, there and then. Obviously am not the only one to take that option, as the spot is marked by a cairn and evidence of other footfall.
Sgurr Dearg 085_1024_719.JPG
Look back at the pair.

Was a bit rough going here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary. The wee slog back up to the pass didn't thrill me too much either, but was nice getting back down into Glen Dessary.
Sgurr Dearg 098_1024_768.JPG
Bidein a' Chabair, heading back into Glen Dessary.
Sgurr Dearg 100_1024_768.JPG
Glen Dessary Lodge, in the distance.
Sgurr Dearg 103_1024_711.JPG
Streap, left and Sgurr Thuilm, right.

Also, enjoyed nice views of the hills to the south, then was treated to the spectacle of the local deer having a fun paddle and swim in LochArkaig, before the long-ish trek home. All in all, another excellent day on one of these hills one isn't really looking forward to.
Sgurr Dearg 107_1024_709.JPG
Anyone for a paddle, dear?
Sgurr Dearg 116_1024_724.JPG
Sgurr Dearg 128_1024_706.JPG
Look back after a fab day!
Sgurr Dearg 133_1024_672.JPG
Over Loch Lochy, to Ben Nevis.
Sgurr Dearg 140_1024_698.JPG
A closer look.
Attachments
20190515_122810_1021_768.jpg
Old baldy.
20190515_122823_596_768.jpg
Another old baldy :)
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

Re: Sunshine on Sgurr Mor and Sgurr an Fhuarain, Loch Arkaig

Postby Coop » Fri May 31, 2019 9:16 pm

Great report - and timely as I plan on being on these 2 in about 2 weeks time cheers.
Actually looking forward to the drive along the lochs again.
Cheers
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Re: Sunshine on Sgurr Mor and Sgurr an Fhuarain, Loch Arkaig

Postby JimboJim » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:10 am

Coop wrote:Great report - and timely as I plan on being on these 2 in about 2 weeks time cheers.
Actually looking forward to the drive along the lochs again.
Cheers

Thanks, Coop. Hope you get even half as nice as day as I had. Bring the kids along for the roller coaster along Loch Arkaig :lol:
JimboJim
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:55
Fionas:15   
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:22
Walk wish-list

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland