walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Re: Heart Attack and Munro`s

Postby 3peaker » Fri May 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Date walked: 10/05/2019

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi Everyone, it was with some trepidation that I arranged a trip to Scotland in 2019 to climb some munro`s because in late December 2017 I suffered a heart attack and spent all 2018 regaining my fitness and stamina to start hill walking again.
Early on this year I stepped up my walks and started hill walking properly and in March managed to climb Helvellyn via striding edge. This gave me a massive boost in confidence.
I have been doing the munro`s for the best part of 30 years and prior to my heart attack I only had 10 munro`s to climb.
My recent trip upto Scotland was with my niece Sally for 10 days of hillwalking - with several rest days planned. We started at Glen Nevis carpark on Sunday 26 April and had a brilliant day on Aonach Beag and Aonach Mor - the weather was fantastic and we had brilliant views of Ben Nevis all day long. It took approx 10 hrs and we both ended up with very sore feet - for Sally this was her first experience of the munro`s and she made a great effort to complete both mountains.
Next came another fine day in Glen Affric with Mam Sodhail and two fine days down Glen Dessarry completing Sgurr Mor and its neighbouring corbett and then Sgurr Ciche/Garbh Chioch Mhor & Sgurr nan Coireachan - a mighty day out of approx 11 hrs.
We were very lucky with the weather and had fine views on all the above hills with 360 all round views. In fact the only poor weather day of the whole trip was in Glen Affric half way up Carn Eige with heavy rain and thick mist - we turned round at 2000ft for a better day.
I hope to complete my 3 remaining munro`s this month because I have booked several rooms at Cairnlarich youth hostel at the end of May to complete my final munro Ben Challum on 26 May - please share a dram with my friends hopefully celebrating my final munro at around 2pm if you happen to be there. Sorry in-advance if we are a bit noisey on Ben Challum or in the youth hostel.
I have enjoyed many trips to Scotland from my home in Hazel Grove, South Manchester over the years and met many friends and like minded people on the hills in Scotland. My original reason for doing the munro`s was to see more of Scotland - I think mission accomplished.
Hopefully there is still some life in my old ticker for a few more hills in the future.
Ps, My thanks to the staff and volunteers at Glen Nevis YH and Drumnadrochit YH for their recent hospitality.
Thanks Malcolm Keats
3peaker
Munro compleatist

Postby martin.h » Fri May 10, 2019 7:48 pm

All the very best to you, enjoy you're final Munro and sod the noise. :lol:
I hope you have a grand day :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby litljortindan » Sat May 11, 2019 7:33 pm

Good luck! That's an inspiring story.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:154   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Sat May 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Agreed - that's inspiring. Have a great time on the 25th :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby 3peaker » Thu May 30, 2019 6:33 pm

litljortindan wrote:Good luck! That's an inspiring story.

Thanks I completed my round of munro`s last Sunday 26 may 2019, sadly the weather was terrible and only 5 out of 13 managed to get to the summit of Ben Challum. Life in this old ticker of mine so I am off to Ireland at some point to complete the 3000 footer`s in Ireland. Regards Malcolm
3peaker
Munro compleatist

Postby 3peaker » Thu May 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Agreed - that's inspiring. Have a great time on the 25th :clap: :clap:

Thanks I completed my round of munro`s up Ben Challum last Sunday 26 may 2019 - sadly the weather was terrible and only 5 out of our group of 13 made it to the summit. Fortunately we all returned safely and had a great weekend in Tyndrum and Crianlarich. I fancy the 3000 footer`s in Ireland so another trip to arrange. Regards Malcolm
3peaker
Munro compleatist

Postby audreywaugh » Thu May 30, 2019 7:07 pm

Congratulations! :clap:
audreywaugh
Wanderer

Munros:196   Corbetts:46
Fionas:14   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:47   Islands:20

Postby Mal Grey » Thu May 30, 2019 7:33 pm

3peaker wrote:
Huff_n_Puff wrote:Agreed - that's inspiring. Have a great time on the 25th :clap: :clap:

Thanks I completed my round of munro`s up Ben Challum last Sunday 26 may 2019 - sadly the weather was terrible and only 5 out of our group of 13 made it to the summit. Fortunately we all returned safely and had a great weekend in Tyndrum and Crianlarich. I fancy the 3000 footer`s in Ireland so another trip to arrange. Regards Malcolm

Excellent stuff! Many congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap:

I assume you chose Challum as your last for the same reason I would!

Mal.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby 3peaker » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:11 am

Mal Grey wrote:
3peaker wrote:

Excellent stuff! Many congratulations :clap: :clap: :clap:

I assume you chose Challum as your last for the same reason I would!

Mal.

Hi Mal, yep I guess so - Ben Challum is `Malcolm`s Hill` cheers
3peaker
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:14 pm

Well done. Excellent and inspiring stuff. Hope you have many more hill days in you. Beinn Challum was one of my very first Munros done in the scorching heat of summer 1975. I can well remember the sickening realisation that it had a false top. We were in a camper van where it was far too hot to stay, despite the attentions of the midges outside. We ended up lying in a river with only our noses out, and then driving home to give my in-laws an early reprieve from minding the kids, something they only offered to do once again, as they lived hundreds of miles away.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby apollo0815 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Very well done:) I can partially feel what is moving you, in January i got very suddenly the diagnosis of an aneurysm of the aorta, meaning that I had to have a heart surgery just two weeks later, getting an aorta implant.
Luckily this is less severe than a heart attack, but it still is a life changing experience.
apollo0815
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland