walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Almost trackless 7 day summer hike suggestions wanted

Re: Almost trackless 7 day summer hike suggestions wanted

Postby tian » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:08 pm

Thank you so far. I have to do some more research about the ares you recommend.
Is it correct, that there is no public transportation in august, which would allow us to reach a 11:30am flight at Inverness airport on a sunday, if we overnight in Aviemore?
tian
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Traveline Scotland would indicate that is currently correct, but summer timetables may make it possible. Best not to raise your hopes though. A taxi would cost you just over £100.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby NickyRannoch » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:23 pm

tian wrote:Thank you so far. I have to do some more research about the ares you recommend.
Is it correct, that there is no public transportation in august, which would allow us to reach a 11:30am flight at Inverness airport on a sunday, if we overnight in Aviemore?

The first train on Sunday in Aviemore is 1230. You would need to overnight in Inverness.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby crfishwick » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:24 pm

tian wrote:Thank you so far. I have to do some more research about the ares you recommend.

If finishing at Aviemore. IMHO You would be better off taking the last train from Aviemore about 20:30 to Inverness and overnight there.

Sunday services from Inverness are all year although limited on Sundays. But I would be sure they do run services to the airport.

HTH
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:02 pm

crfishwick wrote:

If finishing at Aviemore. IMHO You would be better off taking the last train from Aviemore about 20:30 to Inverness and overnight there.

Sunday services from Inverness are all year although limited on Sundays. But I would be sure they do run services to the airport.

HTH

An update: last train from Aviemore to Inverness on Saturdays: 22:37.

Sundays: Inverness to the Airport by bus: Approx hourly.

Also trains from Aviemore on Sundays start at 12:27 arriving @ Inverness @ 13:17.
crfishwick

Postby tian » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:54 pm

It's a while ago that I found time do post here, sorry. In the meantime I bought some maps of the area (OS Landranger 43 and OS Landranger 36), booked a hotel at the end and beginning of the trip (Holiday Inn Express Inverness) and read a couple of trip reports.
Some really give me the opinion, that we will meet about a dozen other hikers on each day in Cairngorms. I hope we will not.
For now I would like to book our train tickets to reach the starting point Blair Atholl. For the direct train I can only find the standard fare of £24/passenger for any daytime train, a lower fare is just offered for the last train of the day, which will be to late for us. But if I check omio there is a ticket with a connection in Pitlochry for just the half of the price. Then we would have 1.5 hours in Pitlochry where we could spend the money we saved for lunch, before we start our hike in Blair Atholl. Is there any reason to avoid such a connection?

For the return journey from Aviemore to Inverness we could just get a ticket when we arrive at the train station, without booking in advance? Is there a counter or just a machine?

Our hotel is located next to Tesco Shopping Mall in Inverness. Is the supermarket really open 24 hours/day? Will we be able to buy denatured alcohol for our stove there?

Greetings
tian
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:40 pm

Not all trains on that line stop at Blair Atholl, that is why you are being offered a change at Pitlochry. No reason why you shouldn't do that.
In Aviemore there is a ticket office and machine with limited opening hours but you can buy a ticket on train also which will be the highest price. Buses will be cheaper.
The Tesco is 24 hours and they most likely will stock meths if that's what you use. Maybe you could check on line.
All the best with your trip. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby NickyRannoch » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:47 pm

You should be able to pick up meths in Hawkshead outdoor shop in Pitlochry.

When are you travelling? Scotrail don't release cheaper advance tickets until 12 weeks before.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby tian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:38 am

Sunset tripper wrote:The Tesco is 24 hours and they most likely will stock meths if that's what you use. Maybe you could check on line.

Yes, I guess you call it Meths in UK. How can I check online which products they have available?

NickyRannoch wrote:When are you travelling? Scotrail don't release cheaper advance tickets until 12 weeks before.

End of July, so we are already within this period.
tian
Munro compleatist

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:13 am

tian wrote:
Sunset tripper wrote:The Tesco is 24 hours and they most likely will stock meths if that's what you use. Maybe you could check on line.

Yes, I guess you call it Meths in UK. How can I check online which products they have available?
I guess Meths has a different meaning in the US?

Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby SpamFritter » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:26 pm

I'm not sure how much hillwalking you've done in Scotland, but I would emphasise not overstretching yourself in terms of distance and ascent, certainly the first couple of days. Stuff that is marked on the OS as a path, is quite frequently a boot sucking bog-fest, defying the laws of physics and cutting your progress quite significantly. Be prepared to change your plans a bit, and have some bail-out places planned if the weather gets too ridiculous. Good luck!
SpamFritter
Ambler

Munros:59   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   Islands:34

Postby tian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:04 pm

We have no experience with hiking in UK at all, but we hike every year in upper scandinavia, so we a not completely new to this business. All trip reports I've read says it takes 3 or 4 days from Blair Atholl to Aviemore. We have 6 full and 2 half days, which should give us enough time to hike at least a little of the path.
tian
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Meths= methylated spirit. A quick google shows you can get it in Wickes, Inverness, which unlike a lot of stores (e.g. Craigdon Camping) is open on Sunday. Trying it with Tesco reveals nothing...however they suggest Jack Daniels (an expensive way of fuelling your stove).

Better check this info to see if times suit.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby mmill » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:05 pm

I think it is more common to get meths in hardware stores, when I have tried supermarkets they don't stock it. So wickes, b and q, homebase or smaller hardware stores are best chance.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby SpamFritter » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:50 am

tian wrote:We have no experience with hiking in UK at all, but we hike every year in upper scandinavia, so we a not completely new to this business. All trip reports I've read says it takes 3 or 4 days from Blair Atholl to Aviemore. We have 6 full and 2 half days, which should give us enough time to hike at least a little of the path.

You'll have plenty of time. I did Blair Atholl to Aviemore over 3 days with about 6 hours of walking per day so we were taking it easy. Camped at Falls of Tarf and stayed at Corrour bothy. Corrour is busy so you may need to camp nearby. You've got good high level options over the tops for day three as well if the weather is good.
SpamFritter
Ambler

Munros:59   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   Islands:34

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion