walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Reaching 214 on Wainwright's favourite

Reaching 214 on Wainwright's favourite

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Base Brown, Haystacks

Hewitts included on this walk: Base Brown

Date walked: 19/04/2019

Time taken: 4

Distance: 14.2 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is it, my last two Wainwrights of the round. I'd decided to finish on Haystacks after I'd got about halfway through (the point when I realised I may as well go for it and finish the lot). It seemed appropriate to finish on Wainwright's favourite hill, rather than something nondescript like Shipman Knotts. The weather looked perfect over the Easter weekend, in contrast to last year when we had rain and 60 mph winds :crazy:

First, I needed to climb Base Brown. I wanted to go for the direct ascent up the north side of the mountain, rather than the easy but boring climb from the West. The Base Brown direttissima has got a bit of a reputation for route finding difficulties but it seemed OK to me. Not really a scramble but an interesting route up an underated hill.

Base brown ascent 1.JPG

Base brown ascent 2.JPG

Base brown ascent 3.JPG

Base brown summit.JPG

The route from Base Brown to Haystacks passes very close to the summit of Green Gable, so it seemed a shame to leave it out. The last time I climbed GG was on New Year's Day 2018, all alone and in poor visibility. What a difference this time around:

Green gable summit.JPG

Ennerdale 1.JPG

Then it was off to Haystacks:

Haystacks from GG descent.JPG

Haystacks ascent 1.JPG

Haystacks ascent 2.JPG

I guess lots of people have their own ways of celebrating. I'd bought a banoffee slice from Booths in Keswick, planning to save it for a treat on the summit but decided to leave alcohol for later. Really, the only thing I wanted was to be alone. As I approached the summit of Haystacks it looked deserted, but this turned out to be an illusion. The summit was littered with people, screaming children, dogs swimming with Wainwright's ashes in the tarn. A family were hogging the summit cairn and the parents were trying to take photos of their children. Again and again they couldn't get it right. Every time one of the children had her eyes closed. Again. Again. On and on it went :crazy: :crazy: I patiently waited for them but they weren't budging. Let's try one more time. You've still got your eyes closed. Again. Eventually, at long last, they gave up and left the summit :clap: I hope they enjoy looking at the dozens of identical photos of a child standing on a hill with her eyes closed. :lol:

What a misery guts I am! Honestly, it's great to see so many people enjoying the hills and considering this was Good Friday and the weather was nice, the crowds were inevitable. Plus, queuing to reach the summit is good practice for climbing Everest :lol:

Haystacks summit.JPG

High Crag from Haystacks.JPG

The traffic continued all the way down:

Haystacks descent crowds.JPG

Fleetwith from Haystacks descent.JPG

Haystacks from Buttermere.JPG

After finishing the descent I walked along Buttermere to the Bridge pub in Buttermere village. It must have been one of the best pints I've ever tasted. I can't remember what it was. Jenning's something or other probably. Beer always tastes amazing after a long thirsty day :wink:

All done then. I doubt I'll bother doing further rounds, although there are a lot of Wainwrights I have climbed several, even dozens of times. There are a few I'd like to do again 'properly' i.e. via a decent route on a good day, especially Pillar, Great Gable and Blencathra.

Here are my main memories:

Best: Scafell via West Wall Traverse, Pavey Ark via Jack's Rake
Worst: Kentmere Pike
Windiest: Bowscale Fell
Snowiest: St. Sunday Crag
Hottest: Helm Crag
Wettest: Thornthwaite Crag
All round worst weather: Broom fell. It honestly felt like the rain was blasting straight through my waterproof
Darkest: High Street (I climbed it after sundown, descending the East ridge in darkness)
Boggiest: High Tove (where else)
Most scary: Nethermost Pike via East ridge in the snow.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Reaching 214 on Wainwright's favourite

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:33 pm

MANY CONGRATULATIONS. Great idea to finish on Wainwright's favourite. Alas, it is a Marilyn and we have bagged all those in the Lakes. Love to finish myself, but it will be years at this rate. I like your most whatever list at the end. A (now dead) friend of ours wrote a little pamphlet for friends and family about his hill walking life. My husband looked himself up in the index and found he was under Most Scary (the Aonach Eagach) and Most Mysterious, where they had seen a walker approach them along a ridge and then just disappear. "Well, he just went down." said my husband "There was nowhere for him to GO down, " replied our friend. It was obviously playing on his mind, but husband had never given it a second thought.

Do you have a most mysterious? Or are you a prosaic sort of person like husband?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:03 pm

Congratulations! :-)

That's a lovely area to finish in - I've got a real soft spot for Green Gable, so much nicer than its big brother which is hard to get on and hard to get off..
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby dav2930 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:32 pm

Congrats on completing the Wainwrights :clap: :clap:

Pointless Parasite wrote:Plus, queuing to reach the summit is good practice for climbing Everest

Nice one! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164

Postby Pointless Parasite » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:47 pm

Thanks guys

Sgurr wrote:Do you have a most mysterious? Or are you a prosaic sort of person like husband?

Actually I had a similar experience on Sgurr a'Bhealaich Dheirg in Kintail recently when a man and a dog simply vanished on the summit ridge. I did seriously start to wonder if I was losing my mind :roll:

Perhaps the greatest mystery was how there weren't mass casualties on Helvellyn when I climbed it last March. Folks were down climbing the steep and icy Swirral Edge with no crampons, no ice axe, not even poles. I wanted to say something like "well if you're trying to kill yourself this is a great way of going about it" but was rendered almost completely speechless.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Well done :clap: :clap: A couple of nice fells to finish with. Green Gable has great views so good for you to enjoy that on a good day as well.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby trailmasher » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:34 pm

Nicely done on 3 good hills with a good report and pics of your final Wainwright's :clap: :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby goingforawii » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:22 pm

Congratulations! :clap: Very well done and a lovely day and report to finish.

Do you remember what the 'buggiest' one was? :D
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

Postby Pointless Parasite » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks. I guess the 'buggiest' must have been Low Pike, near Ambleside. I went decidedly 'off piste' and endured a long climb up through thick vegetation, constantly pestered by cleggs.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland