walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Reluctant Ramblers on Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Reluctant Ramblers on Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 06/06/2019

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.8 km

Ascent: 700m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nearly forty years ago, I invited a group of skiing friends up to the Lake District and dragged them round a number of walks. This was repeated twice a year for a considerable time. I found however, that the "whinge factor" was greatly reduced when a lunchtime pub was included on the walk :lol: :lol: :lol: The group eventually christened itself The Reluctant Ramblers" and owing to a business connection of mine we acquired a "logo" drawn by a well known cartoonist.
7200.jpg
The Reluctant Rambler
At the end of May this year two of the surviving members Boo and Bill came up to Scotland for ten days walking. The weather in the last few weeks has been pretty dire, but we managed to make the most of it and kept mainly dry. The question "where are we having lunch?" - a meal I have long given up - was however persistent, and today when the weather was set to improve in the late afternoon, we headed for the newly refurbished Kingshouse hotel, with Beinn a' Chrulaiste planned for later
7201.JPG
Kingshouse hotel - I thought the refurbishment had been done very tastefully and we had nice panninis in the bar.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The tromp across the exceedingly wet bog is best forgotten, but once on the SE ridge both the weather and the going improved and we made good progress.
7223.JPG
Creise and Meall a Bhuiridh
7226.JPG
Closer view from a bit higher
7229.JPG
South East across Rannoch Moor to Achaladair and Dothaidh
7232.JPG
Down Glen Etive
7235.JPG
The weather slowly improving
7238.JPG
We climbed the steep part of the ridge quite quickly, but there are a lot of false tops before the cairn is finally reached

Views from the summit
7244.JPG
Summit pic - cloud over the Mamores behind
7250.JPG
Down the Blackwater reservoir
7251.JPG
Still pretty gloomy in Glen Coe
7254.JPG
Stob na Cruaiche with Schiehallion on the horizon
7257.JPG

7260.JPG
Two views North - patches of cloud still floating round
7263.JPG
To the West the Buchaille dominates
7266.JPG
South East again to Achaladair etc.
The original plan was to traverse the two subsidiary tops of Meall Bhalach, but that meant returning over the awful bog :( so we headed down towards Altnafeadh planning to return along the WHW - dull but dry.
7269.JPG
On the descent: Glen Coe looking a bit brighter: Bidean and Stob Coire nan Lochan out of the cloud
7272.JPG
Looking through the Lairig Gartain between the Buchailles
7275.JPG
Looking down to Stob a'Chrulaiste; We hoped to head down to the L from here, but the steep slopes are convex at the top, it was difficult to see the best line and we decided against it and followed the standard route
7276.jpg
But there is a route down the ridge immediately W of the big gully ( detail from a stock photo)
7278.JPG
We stopped for a rest - face to face with the Buchaille :D

7281.JPG
Creise and Meall a Bhuiridh again

7284.JPG
And straight through the Lairig
7287.JPG
Clouds to the N finally clear :D Eilde Mor on the R - Na Gruagaichean and Binnein Mor on the L - Binnein Beag through the gap
7288.jpg
Reluctant ramblers - "last of the summer wine" perhaps :lol: :lol:
7290.JPG
Another view :lol: :lol: :lol:
7293.JPG
We pushed on down the rather muddy track to reach the WHW: near the bottom
7296.JPG
The 4.4km walk back along the Way took nearly an hour: view from the hotel in the evening sun
Last edited by past my sell by date on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: Reluctant Ramblers on Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Postby Chris Mac » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 am

Superb, I really enjoyed that and you got some cracking photos! :clap:

The Reluctant Ramblers, brilliant!! :lol:

You should get together for walks more often although I understand that may not be easy by default! :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:44 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Superb, I really enjoyed that and you got some cracking photos! :clap:

The Reluctant Ramblers, brilliant!! :lol:

You should get together for walks more often although I understand that may not be easy by default! :D

Yes - Some of course were more "reluctant" than others :lol: - also I'm afraid there aren't that many left and they all live in southern England :( . However they come out and visit us in Switzerland periodically - It's probably nearer :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:42 pm

Excellent, and some lovely photos. Climbed this with "The Blether Girls" (self explanatory) a group I had "met" online. I came equipped with excuses for a quick exit if they had turned out to be other than advertised, but they all looked exactly as they did on-line, and were much better bletherers than me....as well as having a 20 year better claim to be "girls".
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland