walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Views in every direction from hill we'd put off doing

Views in every direction from hill we'd put off doing

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:54 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas

Date walked: 21/05/2019

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few days holiday in Arrochar and we had climbed the Cobbler. So what next? I'd previously done the four Arrochar Munros and fancied something new. A Munro neither of us had done was Meall Glas because when we did Sgiath Chuil in 2013 it was such a driech wet day we decided before we set off we were only doing the one and Meall Glas could wait for another day.

On descent of Sgiath Chuil, a moment when the rain stopped
IMG_2709-1-large.JPG

It had floated back on to our 'list of possible options' on a few occasions but had always lost out to a more attractive contender. If hills had feelings Meall Glas would be feeling overlooked and struggling with insecurity issues by now. Why so unloved? Maybe something to do with rumours of peat hags and pathless terrain which we'd have to do twice... but there was to be no more avoidance. It was time to visit Sgiath Chuil's significant other in a simple out and back from Auchessan.

We parked behind another car at same spot we parked for Sgiath Chuil and crossed the bridge. It was a beautiful morning, colours vibrant with the bright freshness of leaves at their newest and greenest.

River Dochart
IMG_7726-large.JPG

Auchessan Farm - our target hill is rounded top left of centre
IMG_7727-large.JPG

At the wooden sign marked 'Hill path' we took the left fork which sent us round the farmhouse. It feels an intrusion walking so close to where folk live and since it was early we kept our voices low, although, as Moira said, most farming folk would be up and on the go long before hill walkers are passing.

We followed the track past the old dog kennels until it ended by a sheep fold. From the end of the track a narrow path leads uphill beside a deer fence.

Start of path up side of deer fence
IMG_7729-large.JPG

Path clings to hillside above small tributary of the Allt Essan
IMG_7734-large.JPG

Ben More was a presence for much of the walk
IMG_7735-large.JPG

The path leads to a stile which on crossing reveals a small dam.

Small dam near access road we used on return
IMG_7737-large.JPG

We were aware of the access road between the dam and the HEP generating building we had passed lower down and reckoned it would be a useful return route. More of that later. Upstream from the dam the path continues up the side of the burn, which was quite attractive with mini waterfalls, which would have been more spectacular if it wasn't after such a long dry spell.

Following the burn
IMG_7738-large.JPG

Meall Glas across the peat hags
IMG_7740-largec.JPG

We continued a bit of the way up the ridge leading to Beinn Imirean, before taking the plunge and crossing the sea of peat hags between us and our target hill. The line we took wasn't too bad with just a little back-tracking to avoid ditches of wet peat. We headed for a grassy ridge leading to a fairly obvious way up to the bealach between Meall Glas and Meall Glas Beag. It was then we met the first person we'd seen all day, on his way down, and had a wee chat with him.

Peat hags crossed, skirted via the ridge behind then across
IMG_7746-largec.JPG

My feet were wet due to old boots no longer being waterproof and I could feel a blister developing. I sat down to put on a plaster and two more guys appeared, also on the descent. They had done Sgiath Chuil previously so were doing the same as us, climbing Meall Glas only, but they hadn't come by our route.They joked that they never walked on paths, even when they wanted to! They had a bonny fox red labrador so the chat moved quickly on to dogs.

Start of climb to bealach with Beinn nan Imirean and Ben Challum behind
IMG_7747-large.JPG

One of two lochans at bealach - the other was dried up
IMG_7748-large.JPG

Sgiath Chuil from lochan
IMG_7749-large.JPG

South to Ben More and Glen Dochart
IMG_7751-largec.JPG

Beinn nan Imirean
IMG_7752-largec.JPG

SE to Sgiath Chuil, Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin
IMG_7753-large.JPG

Rock feature on the way up
IMG_7754-large.JPG

The ascent from the bealach was grassy and quite steep until it levelled off with a final gentle climb to the summit cairn.

Meall Glas summit
IMG_7755-largec.JPG

From the summit there were mountains in every direction. For an undistinguished hill Meall Glas is an excellent viewpoint and from what I remember of it a better hill than its neighbour Sgiath Chuil.

South from summit
IMG_7758-large.JPG

Zoomed to Ben Lui
IMG_7756-largec.JPG

West from summit
IMG_7759-largec.JPG

North to Creag Mhor and Beinn Heasgarnich, Ben Nevis visible
IMG_7757-largec.JPG

East to Beinn Cheathaich, Meall Ghaordaidh and Lawers group
IMG_7764-largec.JPG

The descent was straightforward and we had a good look at the moat of peat hags to plan a sensible line across.

Ben Challum from descent from bealach
IMG_7765-largec.JPG

The crossing was fine and we headed up a grassy rake on to the higher ground on the other side and could see fresh boot prints which was reassuring that this was an okay way to go. But it's a confusing area of lumpy ground with no landmarks and we weren't sure if we were always on the right line to meet up with where the path had ended on the way up.

Ben More and water feature on way down
IMG_7768-largec.JPG

In the end we overshot the start of the path and picked it up a bit further down. When we reached the dam we crossed over to the access track thinking for the last stretch we could relax and not think about where we were putting our feet. For a short distance the road was tarmac but it quickly turned to rubble which even on a slight gradient felt like scree. That didn't seem quite fair when Meall Glas had been pleasantly scree-free! We wished we'd stayed on the path we used on the ascent, which was easier on the feet.

As we reached the car we met another walker and his dog just starting out. From the size of his pack he was camping so we asked where he was heading. It always strikes me as funny that we Brits do this. We wouldn't dream of asking a stranger in town where they were heading but we have no problem asking a stranger we meet on the hill where they're heading - well we don't anyway.

It turned out we did him a good turn. He was heading for Beinn Imirean but couldn't remember its name and went to look at his phone so he could tell us and discovered he'd left it in his car. He said he would have had to turn back for it whenever he discovered he'd left it, so thanked us for saving him the trouble!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Views in every direction from hill we'd put off doing

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:58 pm

Should have said thanks to steverabone for his report which was helpful - especially his coordinates for locating the path again on the way back! :thumbup:
dogplodder

Postby steverabone » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:59 pm

dogplodder wrote:Should have said thanks to steverabone for his report which was helpful - especially his coordinates for locating the path again on the way back! :thumbup:

Well you definitely had a better day than I did when I climbed this hill. A good report and nice to see the views I should have had!

As the exam question asks "compare and contrast"!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80839
steverabone

Munros:190   Corbetts:41
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:38

Postby dogplodder » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:59 am

steverabone wrote:Well you definitely had a better day than I did when I climbed this hill. A good report and nice to see the views I should have had!

As the exam question asks "compare and contrast"!

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80839

That's Scottish weather - no hill the same on any given day and all part of the fun! :lol:
dogplodder

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Very nice indeed,it get a lot of bad press this one with peat hags,and extremely wet lower done. A better way is from Glen Lochay IMO,where a very nice track easies you up to over 600 meters before turning into a path that goes to the summit.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:07 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Very nice indeed,it get a lot of bad press this one with peat hags,and extremely wet lower done. A better way is from Glen Lochay IMO,where a very nice track easies you up to over 600 meters before turning into a path that goes to the summit.

We did consider the Glen Lochay approach on a previous occasion but with it being a longer drive didn't this time. On looking at it again I'm sure you're right - always provided the river isn't in spate! :-o
dogplodder

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:56 pm

dogplodder wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:Very nice indeed,it get a lot of bad press this one with peat hags,and extremely wet lower done. A better way is from Glen Lochay IMO,where a very nice track easies you up to over 600 meters before turning into a path that goes to the summit.

We did consider the Glen Lochay approach on a previous occasion but with it being a longer drive didn't this time. On looking at it again I'm sure you're right - always provided the river isn't in spate! :-o

It's a wide river but very shallow and slow moving,was in spate when I went this way and I managed to cross dry shod.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:01 am

These hills have a bad reputation but I also enjoyed them - cracking viewpoint as your photos prove :clap:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby dogplodder » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:53 pm

Jaxter wrote:These hills have a bad reputation but I also enjoyed them - cracking viewpoint as your photos prove :clap:

Thanks! :D
dogplodder

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland