walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

When the Fountains Run Dry

When the Fountains Run Dry

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu May 30, 2019 2:07 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Darnbrook Fell, Fountains Fell

Date walked: 24/04/2019

Time taken: 3

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 365m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With the weather being largely dry I decided to spend my day off in the Dales ticking off the Hewitts of Fountains and Darnbrook Fell. This paring can be climbed from various places but given I only had a finite amount of time I decided to head to the point where the Pennine Way crosses the Road between Pen-y-Gent and the former so I could include them both quite efficiently. As I suspected I spent more time driving than actually walking which is never ideal but I had to get around to them sometime.

The starting point is a fine remote feeling location, very much deepest darkest Yorkshire and the ascent up Fountains Fell is easy enough with good views for Pen-y-Gent and a very hazy Ingleborough to look back upon.

ImageStarting point Pano by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePen-y-Gent Mono by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePen-y-Gent again by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAhead to Fountains Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePen-y-Gent and Ingleborough by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageHughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross to Plover Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Just when things are turning more interesting with more exposed rock you top out onto the Fell's huge pock marked plateau and the walk becomes a bit of a moorland trudge. A warning sign tells you to keep to the path due to old mine workings but I like so many ignored this and followed the distinct trod by the fence up to the summit.

ImageHigh on Fountains Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSummit of Fountains Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

The views have no depth due to the large flat summit area and distant views have been seriously curtailed by the haze which means even Pen-y-Gent is lacking detail. With the ground being very dry I decide to visit the Tarn and the South top before heading for Darnbrook.

ImageFountains Fell Tarn by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Wiggly Wall by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFountains Fell South Top by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Following wet weather it is clear this journey would be quite torturous but on this day we crunch our way merrily over the parched ground before a brief reintroduction with the Pennine way. Our next target looks some what dark and uninviting but at least the bone dry ground enables me to cut off the corner to reach the wall that will take me most of the way.

Pennine Way by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAlong the Wall to Darnbrook Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageBack to Fountains Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Finally I find a few still boggy patches along here but they are easy to negotiate dry shod. The wall seems to separate this fell quite cleanly into fairly easy grass on the North side and horrible looking peat hags on the south, thankfully we are on the North and soon enough we are setting off up the short out and back to the summit.

Darnbrook Fell's summit is a fairly desolate place with the trig point laying bare the scale of erosion the peat has suffered up here. Still with it being dry I sit on the edge of a peat hag and have lunch amid the devastation before heading back down the fence to link up with the bridleway.

ImageOver the Hill by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLunch Time! by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageDarnbrook Fell Trig by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageFountains Fell and Pen-y-Gent face off by Anthony Young, on Flickr

It's a nice simple wander back to the car along Dawson Close and I reach the end of the walk just inside three hours in which time I saw only a distant farmer on a quad bike. I suspect more typical conditions would have added to that time but today this has been a pleasant moorland wander and an easy couple of ticks.

ImageTypical Dales Scenery by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking up to Fountains Fell from Dawson Close by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImagePen-y-Gent by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Fontains Fell.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: When the Fountains Run Dry

Postby nigheandonn » Thu May 30, 2019 2:48 pm

I like the wiggly tarn and the matching wiggly wall. And Hughie's haircut :)

That must have been the day I was on Melmerby Fell - I'd had the same haze all week, which was a shame.
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:26 pm

nigheandonn wrote:I like the wiggly tarn and the matching wiggly wall. And Hughie's haircut :)

That must have been the day I was on Melmerby Fell - I'd had the same haze all week, which was a shame.

I may not have the most extensive experience of the Dales but it does seem to be hazy more often than not when I visit. I will pass on your complements to Hughie :-)
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby trailmasher » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Like me JK, a long drive to bag two fells but at least you had a better day than I had that was wet and foggy for most of the way round :( . Two more fine Dales fells under the belt with some great record shots and a fine report :clap: I remember the climb up to Darnbrook being very wet and slippery despite its easy incline :roll:

I took a different line to yours by starting off at Dale Head south of your start as I wanted to follow the line of the Pots up to the summit of Fountains Fell but if doing them again would probably follow in your footsteps :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:16 pm

trailmasher wrote:Like me JK, a long drive to bag two fells but at least you had a better day than I had that was wet and foggy for most of the way round :( . Two more fine Dales fells under the belt with some great record shots and a fine report :clap: I remember the climb up to Darnbrook being very wet and slippery despite its easy incline :roll:

I took a different line to yours by starting off at Dale Head south of your start as I wanted to follow the line of the Pots up to the summit of Fountains Fell but if doing them again would probably follow in your footsteps :wink:

Not sure how much I'd have enjoyed these to on a wet claggy day, on a fine day they are quite pleasant in their own way. I was also tempted to head direct for the summit but my old knees thought different.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland