walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cheeeese Gromit?! Exploring the dales

Cheeeese Gromit?! Exploring the dales

Postby Jaxter » Tue May 28, 2019 10:32 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Pen-y-ghent, Whernside

Date walked: 11/05/2019

Time taken: 4.4

Distance: 20.48 km

Ascent: 932m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Arriving in Keld on Friday night it had been an interesting drive down – from boring motorways which gave me an opportunity to dig up some dirt from Malcy’s friend Steve, and then the final bit which became a bit more interesting when Malcy managed to get his map upside down in Kirkby Stephen followed by some fairly serious single track roads… But we were there. The boys were all going out on a crazy 80 mile cycle the next day – I wouldn’t be able to join them thanks to my never-ending injury but I had a plan….

Saturday 11th May 2019 - Pen Y Ghent
10.38km
492m ascent
2 hours 30 mins

The boys headed off on their bikes and I jumped in the car and decided that it was a smart idea to drive Malcy’s car for the first time on mental single-track roads in the Yorkshire Dales :lol: It was a lovely drive (very exciting to see Wensleydale!) and I arrived at Horton in Ribblesdale and spent about 20 minutes trying to park – it turned out it was charity three peaks weekend :roll:

Finally parked up, I was off – it was really warm and I was directed a different route as I wasn’t part of the charity weekend. It was fine – definitely quieter this way!

Looking back down – big yellow helicopter there just in case :lol:

Looking to Ingleborough – a possible target for later!

Meeting the locals

Ahead to Pen Y Ghent

It was busy, but in between the groups I was able to get some space to myself 8)

I was trying to walk slowly to avoid aggravating my injury but it was so difficult and as soon as I started thinking about something else I’d speed up again :lol: I was surprisingly impressed by this hill – I hadn’t realised how striking it would be :shock:

Impressive

A bit less impossible looking now!

There were some hilarious moments when people who were woefully unprepared were standing at the bottom of a few rocky steps and refusing to go up….I suggested a route and went up, leaving them to their arguments :lol: Even more amusing were the two guys who thought they were at the top and were raging when there was still another 200m to go :lol:

Looking back

Once up the rocky steps it was an easier path

It was an easy stroll to the top where the sun chose to disappear and was replaced by a cold wind and hunners of people

Pen Y Ghent trig point

Looking down the glen towards Settle

Pen Y Ghent summit

It was seriously busy so decided to head off – thought I’d make it circular by dropping off the side and following the Pennine Way

The long and winding road towards Ingleborough

Looking back up the Pen Y Ghent – impressive cliffs at the side

It was a steep initially and the people heading up were puffing and blowing….I cheerfully told them that it was less steep than the other side; not sure they were very impressed :lol:

Now out of the wind the sun was back out and it was getting seriously warm 8)

I turned off down the track towards Horton in Ribblesdale when I was overtaken by a couple of cyclists – “that’s cheating!” I said!

Looking back

Back at the car in Horton in Ribblesdale I got in touch with the boys and it seemed we were on course for lunch!

Pen y ghent.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In-betweeny cycles
25.32km
266m ascent
1 hour 25 mins

Deciding that having paid £3 to park I was going to take full advantage of it, I left the car and cycled down to the Helwith Bridge Inn. The rain arrived 5 minutes before 10 very hungry cyclists.

When in Yorkshire…. :lol:

After lunch I decided that I’d cycle back up the road with them, and then my plan grew wings and I thought I’d cycle all the way to Ribblehead and pop up Whernside from there! I’d thought the cycle was largely flat but there were an alarming number of hills :lol:

The boys continued on their cycle and I locked up the bike and headed off 8)

In-betweeny cycles.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whernside
10.10km
440m ascent
2 hours

The impressive Ribblehead Viaduct

Looking back towards Ingleborough – a hill for another time

The viaduct looked great from this angle too

Past Gunnerfleet Farm I could see ahead to Whernside with some lovely evening light on it

Ahead to Whernside

Not a main path, but there was a helpful wee stone step over the wall and I was onto the path which gained me height quickly with great views back to the viaduct

Ribblehead and Ingleborough

Choo choo here comes the train!

Most of the path was good but there were some awkward and boggy sections which my trainers weren’t hugely impressed by… :roll:

The final climb was ridiculously steep and I was very pleased to be finally on the summit ridge

I could see over to some impressive looking hills which turned out to be the Howgills – looked worth exploring another time!

Morecombe Bay (I think)

Lake District

Being my usual idiotic self…. :lol:

Despite being quite late there were still a lot of folk around :shock: But I remembered I still had to cycle all the way back to Horton in Ribblesdale so headed back down, pretty much directly over the edge and straight-lined it back to the path up; didn’t seem worth diverting :lol:

Approaching the viaduct again Image

Passing the bunkhouse near the farm I was able to boot back a wayward football towards a group of lads playing on a field. Without falling over :lol:

Back at the viaduct I realised how big it was :shock:

Looking back…

It was an easy cycle back down the road – seemed it was downhill on average and I was back at the car in no time. It was a gorgeous drive back and arrived in time to get a shower and make dinner for the guys (that’s one way to make friends anyway :lol: )

Whernside.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sunday 12th May 2019 - Kirby Stephen loop
52km
516m ascent
2 hours 50 mins

The next morning we all drove over to Kirkby Stephen and I reckoned I’d be able to join in on their “easy” route for the day. It was a stunning day and taking it slowly I managed to get around 8)

Lake District in the background

Great Dun Fell with the dome on top – some of the guys cycled up there.
Image[
We didn’t, which is why we look so happy :lol:

We gathered for lunch – it was Sunday so a perfect excuse for a roast!

And a group shot….

It was an easy cycle back to Kirby Stephen and time for a hot beverage before heading off our separate ways….we were very happy to be back in Scotland, but I’d be very pleasantly surprised by Yorkshire and definitely plan to return 8)

Kirkby cycle.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Cheeeese Gromit?! Exploring the dales

Postby goingforawii » Wed May 29, 2019 12:03 am

“Not even for Wensleydale??”

Cracking report :clap: You had some great weather!

If you ever fancy finishing off the Yorkshire Three Peaks (Ingleborough), do it on one of the two weeks of the year when the local caving clubs setup a rig down Gaping Gill:

http://www.bpc-cave.org.uk/wp/gaping-gill/

https://www.cravenpotholeclub.org/index.php/about-gaping-gill/visit-gaping-gill

Need to be there early to get in the queue in time! Was a great day when I was there: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87069

8)
goingforawii

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Donalds:7
Hewitts:184
Wainwrights:214   Islands:47

Postby Sgurr » Wed May 29, 2019 1:06 pm

We liked the Dales, but when we tried to get my sister to join us she complained "All the niceness round there is in the Dales, I don't want to go climbing hills." Another time, if you come to do Ingleborough, you should try the original Wensleydale cheese at Hawes. Stuff direct from the creamery tastes so much better then the plastic wrapped stuff you get in the supermarket. I don't know how Trades Descriptions lets them (supermarkets) get away with it.No wonder Wallace swears by it.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Mal Grey » Wed May 29, 2019 1:51 pm

And this is "resting" your injury? :D

Good stuff, as always. The Dales are lovely, go back when its quieter.

Ingleborough is a good place for a summit bivi - once went up there with my dad to watch the sunrise from our sleeping bags...and slept through until 2 hours after dawn!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby dav2930 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:28 pm

Nice to see you enjoying yourself in the Dales Jaxter. You were right in my neck of the woods when you passed through Knock and Dufton. Nice photos! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:10 pm

eee that were grand like
I'm allowed to say that as a half-Yorkshire lass born and bred in t'dales.
I'd second going to Wensleydale. And Swaledale. And upper Wharfedale. All so different and not nearly as busy as the Lakes
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Some lovely dales exploration there, another vote for the Hawes creamery, it is simply a cheese lovers heaven :-) Oh and Ingleborough is well worth returning for.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:12 pm

goingforawii wrote:“Not even for Wensleydale??”

Cracking report :clap: You had some great weather!

If you ever fancy finishing off the Yorkshire Three Peaks (Ingleborough), do it on one of the two weeks of the year when the local caving clubs setup a rig down Gaping Gill:

http://www.bpc-cave.org.uk/wp/gaping-gill/

https://www.cravenpotholeclub.org/index.php/about-gaping-gill/visit-gaping-gill

Need to be there early to get in the queue in time! Was a great day when I was there: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=87069

8)

Oooh brilliant - a friend of mine was down there a few weeks ago and did that (or something similar I think!) Looks amazing!

Sgurr wrote:We liked the Dales, but when we tried to get my sister to join us she complained "All the niceness round there is in the Dales, I don't want to go climbing hills." Another time, if you come to do Ingleborough, you should try the original Wensleydale cheese at Hawes. Stuff direct from the creamery tastes so much better then the plastic wrapped stuff you get in the supermarket. I don't know how Trades Descriptions lets them (supermarkets) get away with it.No wonder Wallace swears by it.

Wallace knows where it's at! I'll definitely have to pop in next time I'm down - an excuse to go back :lol:

Mal Grey wrote:And this is "resting" your injury? :D

Good stuff, as always. The Dales are lovely, go back when its quieter.

Ingleborough is a good place for a summit bivi - once went up there with my dad to watch the sunrise from our sleeping bags...and slept through until 2 hours after dawn!

:lol: :lol: I'm not very good at resting am I....I am trying though :roll:
I always set an alarm and still usually wake up early when I'm summit camping - totally paranoid about sleeping through sunrise :lol:

dav2930 wrote:Nice to see you enjoying yourself in the Dales Jaxter. You were right in my neck of the woods when you passed through Knock and Dufton. Nice photos! :)

Ooh lovely! It's a great spot - felt a lot quieter than I expected on the Sunday cycle!

mrssanta wrote:eee that were grand like
I'm allowed to say that as a half-Yorkshire lass born and bred in t'dales.
I'd second going to Wensleydale. And Swaledale. And upper Wharfedale. All so different and not nearly as busy as the Lakes

I guess I'll just have to take another trip there now I've got all these recommendations :lol:

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Some lovely dales exploration there, another vote for the Hawes creamery, it is simply a cheese lovers heaven :-) Oh and Ingleborough is well worth returning for.

Cheers - more things to check out for next time :wink:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:06 pm

A great area - and not as busy as the Lakes.
A really enjoyable walk I did many times before I took pics, starts at Clapham - Go past Ingleborough cave and up Trowgill (a collapsed cave), on past Gaping gill (slightly spooky) and up Ingleborough. Then head R on the Dales highway - past Nick pot and near Juniper Gulf to cross the Pennine bridleway . Then turn S across Moughton scars and descend quite steeply into Crummackdale (various routes on this section). Through several fields to Crummack lane. Turn sharp R (Norber Brow ) and below Norber Scar famous for it's erratics (boulders). Then SW across a field to Thwaite lane and back to Clapham. A really eclectic mix of scenery and terrain,
It's all on your second map I think but you have to blow it up to 1:25k
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Here is a map of it - blue line - nearly 20km took me around 6 hours most times
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland