walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

We are Sale Ling

We are Sale Ling

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:04 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Ling Fell, Sale Fell

Date walked: 12/05/2019

Time taken: 4

Distance: 8.6 km

Ascent: 500m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Life is always full of surprises and I received a pleasant one when Grace said she wanted to come out on a walk :shock: :D So for the first time in quite a while a Lakeland expedition would have a full complement. Given the lack of hill fitness a modest route in the North West was decided upon in the pleasant grassy shapes of Sale and Ling fells. When we did these fells previously our route was little more than two out and backs but this time, to make more of a walk of it, I made it a circular route.

It was a somewhat steady plod up to Sale Fell with Grace getting her hill legs back. It perhaps didn't help that it was a very warm day out if the breeze but the slow pace just gave even more time to appreciate this wonderful corner of the world in its full springtime glory. Once the unmarked summit was reached the air clarity could be observed with a superb detailed view towards Bonnie Scotland.

ImageLing Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards the Lord's Seat Fells by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLord's Seat on the Right by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLing Fell and Kelswick Farm by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAcross the Wall to Rivings by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageGalloway Hills from Sale Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageCriffel from Sale Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageTowards Skiddaw from Sale Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We dropped down to take in the Birketts of Rivings (cairn on a grassy lump, Meh) and Lowthwaite (wonderful view point for Bassenthwaite and the Skiddaw massif) and were well taken with the later so we had lunch enjoying the view on a very convenient bench.

Hughie at Maximum Cuteness by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageRivings by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLothwaite Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

We went directly down the steep fellside to the obvious path heading for Chappel Wood, delightful this time of year, and ambled our way via the paths and tracks to Old Scales Farm. I must admit to being a little confused as to the nature of access through the farm so I left it well alone and continued to a style that lead to the steep lower slopes of Burthwaite Heights.

Bassenthwaite and Dodd by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageSpring blossom by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageChapel Wood by Anthony Young, on Flickr

My companions decided the charms of Burthwaite Heights summit were worth missing so I plodded off to its featureless grassy top while they wandered towards Ling Fell. I must admit they missed very little and we were soon reunited as we crossed what remained of the bog for the final climb of the day.

ImageSkiddaw from above old Scales by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLadies Table and Skiddaw from Burthwaite Heights by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Hughie by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageNicola, Grace and Hughie from Burthwaite Heights by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLing Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLooking East by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A following a steady climb we topped out on Ling Fell to once again take in magnificent views towards Scotland. Now my eyes aren't the best without glasses but both Nicola and Grace who were both wearing theirs swear they could see the dome of Slieve Donard on the horizon between Scotland and the Isle of Man. No photographic evidence I'm afraid but I'll take their word for it.

ImageOn the way up Ling Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageLing Fell Summit by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageIsle of Man from Ling Fell by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageEpic Hughie Triptych by Anthony Young, on Flickr

A nice gentle descent to the car was a pleasant way to end a blissful short walk in Lakeland. It was great to have the full crew which was the first time since Wales almost two years ago, hopefully it will be repeated again soon.

ImageHeading back along the Corpse Road by Anthony Young, on Flickr

ImageAlmost Back at Eskin by Anthony Young, on Flickr

Sale and Ling.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: We are Sale Ling

Postby trailmasher » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Great stuff Anthony :clap: always good to have a long awaited family day out walking some great little hills on a good weather day 8) We've said it before and no doubt again that some of the best views are from the smaller fells :) Well done, great report, great photos, great family day out :clap: :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: We are Sale Ling

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:57 am

trailmasher wrote:Great stuff Anthony :clap: always good to have a long awaited family day out walking some great little hills on a good weather day 8) We've said it before and no doubt again that some of the best views are from the smaller fells :) Well done, great report, great photos, great family day out :clap: :clap:

Thanks TM these are two lovely fells for an easy amble.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland