walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Mell Fell

Great Mell Fell

Postby icemandan » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Great Mell Fell

Date walked: 08/08/2010

Time taken: 1

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 250m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A dull overcast muggy morning in Kendal so didn't get out until half one. A good afternoon for an an unbagged isolated Wainwright. We stay away from the millions in the Central Lakes at summer weekends but the Dacre Valley is quiet any time of year. After lunch at the farm shop in Stainton (BTW a good just off the motorway lunch spot), the sun had come out and we headed for Great Mell Fell.
Path Up.jpg

Kirkstone.jpg

Not many adrenalin thrills on this one. It has the profile of a poached egg. Nonetheless Wainwright's acolytes had beaten a path to the top. Some nice oakwoods on the way up and nice views south towards Kirkstone Pass. Very easy grassy path up through bracken. Higher up, a gentle rise through a grassy meadow, more like the North Downs than the Lakes to reach a small cairn. They must have looked hard to find any stones to build it with on this grassy bump.
Blencathra.jpg

It's taken me forty years of walking to get round to this one. A pleasant enough afternoon but I won't be rushing back
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: Great Mell Fell

Postby Graeme D » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:56 pm

It looks pleasant enough, but when I finally get round to walking in the Lakes, I don't think I'll be rushing out to this one. :)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby colgregg » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:25 pm

Just arrived home from St Sunday Crag - Fairfield. Fortunately the cloud cleared well before we reached the tops. We met relatively few people on the walk. I doubt if I could have said that had we chosen Hellvelyn instead.
Report coming later.
St Sunday - Fairfield 014.JPG
Taster pic. Fairfield from St Sunday Crag.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Postby PauloUK77 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:27 pm

I spent some time camping near Great Mell Fell a few weeks ago and was looking into combining this one with Little Mell Fell and Gowbarrow Fell.They are only small but look interesting all the same.
PauloUK77
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:28   

Postby fedupofuserids » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:30 pm

It's a nice hill to do to fill in a few few hours when everything higher is covered in thick mist, the wind blown trees are quite scenic in snow.
fedupofuserids

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland