walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Procrastinating at Luss

Procrastinating at Luss

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:40 am

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Eich, Cruach an t-Sidhein

Date walked: 20/05/2019

Time taken: 4.35 hours

Distance: 15.03 km

Ascent: 861m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had a job application to finish, but decided that I’d be in a better frame of mind for spurting mindless jargon if I’d managed to get myself a good day on the hills. I’d get out early and be back in plenty of time to get it done….

…or not, I didn’t get out as early as I’d have liked. But I was parked up at the end of the Glen Luss road (being a Monday it wasn’t busy and I easily bagged the single space) and making a very swift start as there were a few bugs out and about – is it really that time of year already?! :shock:

Walking up towards Edentaggart I managed to find the stile and beginnings of the path this time – managed to miss it last time and ended up annoying a farmer :roll:

Once out of the bottom of the glen the bugs had been blown away by the chilly breeze and I was faced with the long slog up Beinn Eich, definitely steeper than I’d remembered it :shock:

The good thing about the height gain was the view back down the glen towards Loch Lomond, and the fact that I had to stop to enjoy them 8)

I was trying to work out which hill this was, to then discover that it isn’t a “thing” at all – horseshoes around there have since been discussed as it looks like a great area to explore 8)

The thing-that-isn’t-a-thing 8)

I was following bits of path and they led me on an interesting traverse across the hill – I followed it because I was curious and it ended up taking me so far around that I gave up and straightlined it upwards – who knows where I would have ended up :lol:

I remembered this weird raised section from last time

And then I was finally at the top – Beinn Eich, you b**tard :lol:

Looking North

Onwards – it was breezy and I had a job to apply for!

Looking back to the thing-that-isn’t

It was an easy descent from Beinn Eich down to the bealach which allowed me to give my poor injured self a bit of a rest…. Here was a decision to be made – do I go up Doune Hill first? The answer was a “hell no” so I set off on a traverse around to the next bealach over, passing some of Malcy’s pals on the way… :lol:

Cruach an t-Sithein ahead

My traverse was so good that I managed to not lose or gain any height, so I actually had to lose a bit to get down to the bealach! I managed to fall off a peat hag here which was both spectacular and undignified :roll:

The Cobbler hiding in the cloud behind what was looking like a tempting ridge…hold that thought!

Looking back to Beinn Eich and the-thing-that-isn’t

The bealach was a bit boggy but easily hopped across. I picked the easiest looking part of Cruach an t-Sithein and started heading slowly uphill. I had to stop for plenty of breaks 8)

Looking down Gleann na Caorainn

Beinn Eich and Loch Lomond

Then I was there and I could see down Loch Long

Beinn a’ Mhanaich and Beinn a’ Chaorainn

Gleann na Caorainn

The Cobbler clear at last!

Cnoc Coinnich and The Brack

Doune Hill

On the summit of Cruach an t-Sithein at last 8)

Loch Lomond behind Beinn Eich

It was cold so I sat down to enjoy a wee sandwich and study the map – I’d decided that Doune Hill was too far, so how to get back? I’d liked the look of the north ridge and contouring around into Glen Douglas but after looking at the map it turned out it was about 3 times further and more awkward than I’d initially thought. So no….

Gleann na Caorainn it was then! I went for a nosy at Creag Tharsuinn and dropped steeply into the corrie

Weird lizard thing

These crags are hidden from almost every angle so it was pretty cool to see them up close

Coming out the bottom of the crags I could see all the way down Gleann na Caorainn….it looked an awfully long way, and now sheltered from the breeze it was getting warm :shock:

I dropped down a grassy gully which was generally easy going and got me down quickly – I could see something of a path across the grasses and headed for that

Looking back up to Cruach an t-Sithein

It turned out that the path wasn’t really up to much, more of a sheep track and I was basically off-piste for miles. It was pretty though, and not as bad underfoot as a lot of things I’d been dragged along recently :roll:

Looking back I could see that progress was being made….

Creepy :shock:

The glen did flatten out and became much easier to walk on….I reckoned the track would kick in at the red house

Looking back

And then..at last..a track! This made progress much easier, although uphill to get around the end of Beinn Eich!

Finally back at the farm I skipped around it as asked (more uphill!) before dropping back to the car after a last glance at Beinn Eich, looked pretty harmless from here but I was feeling sore and had a job application to write…happy days :lol:

Luss grahams.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Procrastinating at Luss

Postby a_macdonald » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:00 pm

I have plans to do these hills as part of a big Graham bag fest of 6 or even 8 in one day in that area. I did one of these hills ages ago with friends before I really started hillwalking, but have no idea which one! :roll:
a_macdonald
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:62
Fionas:42   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:54   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:12   Islands:8

Postby dav2930 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:28 pm

Looked a good way to clear the cobwebs. Good luck with the job application!
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Jaxter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:06 pm

a_macdonald wrote:I have plans to do these hills as part of a big Graham bag fest of 6 or even 8 in one day in that area. I did one of these hills ages ago with friends before I really started hillwalking, but have no idea which one! :roll:

I like all the wee in out routes and there are so many great ridges that aren’t even summits. Cracking hills 8)

dav2930 wrote:Looked a good way to clear the cobwebs. Good luck with the job application!

Definitely sorted out the cabin fever :lol:
And thankyou!! :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland