walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two quickies at Glenshee

Two quickies at Glenshee

Postby iainR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin

Fionas included on this walk: Mount Blair

Date walked: 26/06/2019

Time taken: 2.45 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having never been up the Glenshee road before and an ascent of the Cairnwell Munros planned in several weeks time i wanted to visit a pair of lesser hills with accessible and fairly quick routes to the summits. After consulting my SMC guides which spoiled me for choice i narrowed it down to Ben Gulabin and Mount Blair the former giving me a good view north and the latter giving me views to the south.

Ben Gulabin
Parking at a layby up the road from Spittal of Glenshee i set off through a gate and up a gravel estate road which rises steeply above the main road and curves up on to the open moor. After just over 1km the obvious path to Ben Gulabin breaks off to the left over a boggy section then climbs steeply up the hillside all the way to the summit cairn. I reached the top in 50 mins and took in the views which were extensive and completely new to me.
1 The walk begins__.jpg
The walk begins

2 Ben Gulabin hill path__.jpg
Ben Gulabin hill path

3 Looking down the hill path__.jpg
Looking down the path

4 Approaching the summit__.jpg
Approaching the summit

The highlight was the Cairnswell Munros to the north and the Cairngorms to the northwest where patches of snow could still be seen. From here i could also see my next hill of the day with a mast crowning its summit, Mount Blair. Since any alternative descent looked to involve a walk along the A93 i choose to retrace my steps back down the estate road.
5 Spittal of Glenshee__.jpg
Spittal of Glenshee

6 View of The Cairnwell__.jpg
View of The Cairnwell

Mount Blair
Leaving my car at the edge of the woodland about 1km east of the tiny hamlet of Cray i set off along the narrow and quiet B951 where a short distance later i passed through a gate on the right and followed a very steep grassy path up a sheep dung covered field. By now the sun was high in the sky and the heat was really beating down but thankfully the top of the summit mast eventually appeared and again, 50 mins after leaving the car i was on a hilltop. Its quite a cluttered little summit with a trig pillar, a large cairn, a transmitter mast and a circular walk in view indicator which i've never seen on a hill before but it looked very impressive.
10 View of Duchray Hill__.jpg
View of Duchray Hill

11 Start of the hill path__.jpg
Start of the hill path

13 Summit of Mount Blair__.jpg
Summit of Mount Blair

14 Walk in view indicator__.jpg
Walk in view indicator

From the summit i could see Ben Gulabin and beyond as well as Duchray Hill, the Graham opposite Mount Blair which is in full view all the way up. The view to the south was the most extensive though being new to this area i had trouble identifying anything.
12 Ben Gulabin__.jpg
Ben Gulabin

15 Looking south__.jpg
Looking south

After a well earned lunch i reflected on a couple of quick but steep ascents and their fantastic views of an area i will definitely visit again.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland