walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn a' Bhuird via Glen Quoich question

Beinn a' Bhuird via Glen Quoich question

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 pm

Last time I was up Glen Quoich the path was washed away at a point about 3km up the glen. This was last summer. Does anyone know the current condition of the path and whether it is possible to take mountain bikes past this point?

Just looking at a plan B for the weekend (plan A is to camp up at the Wells of Dee and spend a day exploring the Braeriach plateau).

Thanks!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Re: Beinn a' Bhuird via Glen Quoich question

Postby larry groo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:38 am

The path is still washed out. I don't think they will reinstate it as the river has changed course a fair bit.

There is a decent bypass up through the woods at NO 093 922, goes on for about 500m then drops back down to the river.

It's quite vegetated but you'll easily get the bike through there.

Leave the bike somewhere around NO 079 954 where the path starts to climb and you'll be good to go.
larry groo

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:59 pm

That's great, good to know.
Plan A is still on the cards, but I expect I'll be back to Beinn a' Bhuird before long.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:51 pm

If you go up the track towards Derry Lodge from Lin O'Dee you can nip over via Clais Fearna from Glen Lui which brings you into Glen Quoich about five km above the Lin O'Quoich, just downstream from the meeting of the two waters, the Allt Dubh Glin and the Quoich . I don't know what state the place is in up there, I haven't been since before the great flood a few years ago which wiped out tracks and changed the river course. Great land though, good luck!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby SummitStupid » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:If you go up the track towards Derry Lodge from Lin O'Dee you can nip over via Clais Fearna from Glen Lui which brings you into Glen Quoich about five km above the Lin O'Quoich, just downstream from the meeting of the two waters, the Allt Dubh Glin and the Quoich . I don't know what state the place is in up there, I haven't been since before the great flood a few years ago which wiped out tracks and changed the river course. Great land though, good luck!

I came off Beinn a' Bhuird that way less than two years ago, and it was fine. Clais Fhearnaig is a lovely little pass, feels so remote.
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:23
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:84   Islands:10

Postby MountainManMark » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:42 pm

Is this the one that followed the line of the old bulldozed track? I thought the NTS restored this recently?
MountainManMark
Mountain Walker

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:46 pm

NB The Clais Fhearnaig is a great/surprising/pretty/cunning walking route, but I found pushing my bike through there particularly awkward, so I'd advise against this route if you are planning to take your bike.

There is no real problem taking a bike up from the Linn of Quioich to the foot of the Dubh Ghleann (where the Quoich turns from flowing west to flowing south) and there is a great path all the way from there to the ford which lies to the south of Carn Fiaclach (NO 111 959), through the eastern half of this path is no longer shown on OS maps for some reason - the key is to leave the north bank of the Quoich at NO 0974 9523 (a shingle bank just after crossing a stream)

Start_of_CSP_small.jpg
Start of the 'secret' path

and follow a faint path up an earthy bank through the trees, where it quickly turns into a beautiful single track all the way east to the ford.

CSP_small.jpg
The 'secret' path
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby snowen » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:22 pm

Went up Glen Quoich yesterday with my bike. The bypass is signposted as a temporary path pending construction of a new track above the washed out route. I ignored the sign and carried on. Where the track has been washed away there's still space to walk by the edge of the water. I pushed my bike but some folk might ride all the way but if the river was higher you'd need to use the temporary path.

On the way back I tried the temporary path. The first third or so is very boggy and I certainly couldn't ride my back but pushing through the muck was OK. After that the path was much drier and fine for cycling.

So, I'd not use the temporary path unless the water made the usual route impossible. Either way, it 's still possible to take a bike all the way up the glen.
snowen
Munro compleatist

Munros:178   Corbetts:12
Fionas:9   Donalds:40+15
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion