walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Mullardoch 4 by boat!

Loch Mullardoch 4 by boat!

Postby Bod » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Route description: The Loch Mullardoch Munros

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan, An Socach (Mullardoch), Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Sgùrr na Lapaich

Date walked: 03/07/2011

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 20.4 km

Ascent: 1660m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We were due meet our boat at 10.00am just past the dam at the end of Loch Mullardoch. It was a glorious morning and we were greeted with fantastic clear views that helped us to look out and try to spot our vessel. After 10 minutes or so spent relaxing on the shore we could just make out the engine sound of a boat far off in the distance. We laughed and joked a little about did we really want to be collected and dropped off in the remote setting of An Socach, as we realised that by the time we started walking it would be 11.00am, with a long day to follow. Our Saturday evening previously had been a joyous time with our friends in Clachnaharry, Inverness. We were treated to a lovely venison stew hotpot, a few nice glasses, a fun otter-watch walk and then ending in the local pub somewhat later than planned......he he he..(cheers Marty and Sandy)....it was great fun, but perhaps bearing in mind our plan for Sunday an hour earlier in bed would have been a good idea.....but that's just being wise after the event..he he. (we spotted Mr. Otter by the way).
DSCN1584.JPG
A spectacular vista looking westwards along the first 8 kilometres of Loch Mullardoch. View taken from our boat ride.
DSCN1572.JPG
Marty and Karl our friendly ferry man.
DSCN1574.JPG
Karl's wee Jack Russell dog "Fute" who was great company on board.
DSCN1580.JPG
The jolly crew! Karl, Sandy, myself and Valerie (with Fute below the bench).
DSCN1595.JPG
Dropped off on the shore by . Notice the boat's wake as it has sped off out of the picture.
DSCN1600.JPG
Heading up Allt Coire a' Mhaim.
DSCN1602.JPG
Another friendly wee chap!
DSCN1612.JPG
Marty and I on top of An Socach after almost 3 and half hours of a fine climb up. Much munchies and juices were well appreciated by all during the climb and on the summit.
DSCN1616.JPG
Heading along the East shoulder of An Socach....
DSCN1617.JPG
Sandy with Bealach Bholla below....
DSCN1625.JPG
Marty and I on the summit of An Riabhachan...good progess being made now, but still well aware of a long way to go with the highest mountain still to come.
DSCN1629.JPG
Marty, Sandy and Valerie descending Creagan Toll an Lochain with Sgurr na Lapaich beyond.
DSCN1631.JPG
Valerie leading the way down a lovely ridge....
DSCN1638.JPG
Sgurr na Lapaich at 1150 metres above sea level.
DSCN1642.JPG
Main munchies again......
DSCN1648.JPG
The route off heading for Carn nan Gobhar.....some fine mountain side coming off this east side of Sgurr na Lapaich.
DSCN1649b.jpg
A cracking shot (cheers Marty) showing off the southern top and ridge of Sgurr nan Clachan Geala from just below the top of Sgurr na Lapaich (a glimpse of Loch Mallardoch too, it was nice to feel some progess being made along its length).
DSCN1660.JPG
We experienced a magnificent Eagle flying proudly past as we dropped off Carn nan Gobhar. Wish I had been quicker with my wee camera, as we all felt in awe! It was a close and lengthy sighting, wonderful and rare....
DSCN1670.JPG
Back safe and very satified!
:D :D :D This was a great day out in our wonferful mountains that I had been aware of for many years going back to my late teens, and it did not let down expectations. Marty's idea to use the ferry run was a good one, and a fun one to add some extra interest to the occasion, but anyone attempting this ought to be at least a little experienced, well equiped and well aware of the remoteness involved. When you are hiking over An Socach you should note on the OS map just how far you are away from any point of help other than then roadend at the Mullurdach Dam some 14km away. Might go back again and ascend Carn nan Gobhar in order to visit Sgurr na Lapaich approached from the East during winter? That would be special....
Last edited by Bod on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:48 am, edited 14 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Re: Loch Mullardoch 4

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:22 am

looks like a great day out! Nice photos :)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:08 pm

Fantastic effort :D :D Good motivation for me - these Munros are practically on my doorstep and I still haven't done them!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby soulminer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:30 pm

Cracking day for such a fine walk.You all looked delighted, and rightly so 8)
Did walk in reverse and walked back along the Loch, an absolute sun trap nearly ended up with sun-stroke.Wished I had stuck to my original plan of the full round with camp on 'Finley'.
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Redrock » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:44 am

Good one, Bod! I can't think of a more relaxed way of approaching a Munro walk than by boat! :lol: The picture of Sandy, Val and yourself on the boat - with the ferryman - says it all! :D It's clear you had a great day out and bagged four Munros to boot! That's a great shot down the ridge with Val leading! :lol:
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Bod » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:51 am

Cheers Redrock, that was a fun wee ridge down to the bealach before Sgurr na Lapaich. After that it did feel like you were getting into the 2nd half of the day...a good feeling :D
Redrock wrote:Good one, Bod! I can't think of a more relaxed way of approaching a Munro walk than by boat! :lol: The picture of Sandy, Val and yourself on the boat - with the ferryman - says it all! :D It's clear you had a great day out and bagged four Munros to boot! That's a great shot down the ridge with Val leading! :lol:
Bod
Walker

Re: Loch Mullardoch 4 by boat!

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:52 am

Loving the boat ride.

have my eyes on these.

thanks for posting.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:13 pm

How did you arrange the boat ride?
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 pm

Brilliant, what a day you all got. I enjoy reading your reports, did you not do your reports under the username bob and valerie before? Love the V Dub camper, living the dream in style eh :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 pm

My mate Robin is always going on about doing exactly this - except that we'd stick a case of beer in the boat and wildcamp somewhere overnight. One day he'll stop talking about it and actually do it! :lol: Epic stuff! Great read and cracking photos. :thumbup:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Hiya,
Call Karl on 01456 415347. He runs his boat up Loch Mullardoch from 1st April to 1st August. Good luck and enjoy :D
bootsandpaddles wrote:How did you arrange the boat ride?
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Thank you for your kind words. Yep, that was us, but Valerie has her own log on now - in our early walkhighlands days we had no idea how much we were going to use the site, and have since decided to have our own access....waiting for her first report...lookout for posts by Beanierocks (usually my reports count for us both). Cheers the noo
Johnny Corbett wrote:Brilliant, what a day you all got. I enjoy reading your reports, did you not do your reports under the username bob and valerie before? Love the V Dub camper, living the dream in style eh :D
Bod
Walker

Postby bradan » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:54 am

Did this route, sort of, yesterday. The ferry is now run by Angus - http://www.loch-mullardoch-ferry.co.uk/ - £25 well spend.

Angus dropped us just round the corner at Am Mam. It makes for a steeper and more direct approch to An Socach and best of all, avoids the peat hags. It's a very good and obvious path in most places. I was on my own and so had no need to hang around, especially as there was broken, low cloud and a promise of thunder and heavy showers. Total time, 6 hours, the slog up Sgurr na Lapaich was tough in the humid heat. Coming off Carn nan Gobhar it makes sense to drop down left just before Mullach na Maoile and pick up the very obvious new Hydro track for the last 3k.
bradan

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Cool, thanks for that, might just have to repeat this trip one day soon :D :D :D

bradan wrote:Did this route, sort of, yesterday. The ferry is now run by Angus - http://www.loch-mullardoch-ferry.co.uk/ - £25 well spend.

Angus dropped us just round the corner at Am Mam. It makes for a steeper and more direct approch to An Socach and best of all, avoids the peat hags. It's a very good and obvious path in most places. I was on my own and so had no need to hang around, especially as there was broken, low cloud and a promise of thunder and heavy showers. Total time, 6 hours, the slog up Sgurr na Lapaich was tough in the humid heat. Coming off Carn nan Gobhar it makes sense to drop down left just before Mullach na Maoile and pick up the very obvious new Hydro track for the last 3k.
Bod
Walker

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland