walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Circular cycle ride from Tomintoul, oh, and a Graham

Circular cycle ride from Tomintoul, oh, and a Graham

Postby TheTortoise » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:48 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cnap Chaochan Aitinn

Date walked: 05/03/2019

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A last minute trip to Braemar with family and we realised that we could pop up to Tomintoul on a free day. It was a sunny morning, mixed cloud and sun afternoon, little wind, cold on top. We took our bikes, from Queen Victoria's viewpoint car park. Undulating down into glen on tracks, tarmac between bridges, uphill to farm and beyond, pushing occasionally on the steeper sections especially when rough ground. Mostly riding though. Typical moorland rounded hills but then from summit, amazing views to across to Ben Avon, corries and tors, outlined in snow. Mast and possibly weather station at top.
IMG_20190702_174246-640x480.jpg
Down steep zigs (walked) to Glen Loin, along a bit, lunch mostly in the sun in this beautiful and deserted glen. Then onwards, met 3 mountain bikers going the other way (young), and got to the ford. The Hare only just made it across riding, I pushed my bike across in bare feet, treading carefully. But I had left my gloves on the far bank, and my feet were cold. Unable to cross back without poles, I would have to take the bike back for support. The Hare volunteered to walk back across in boots, and found a route. Unfortunately he got wet feet on the way back. What a hero. Walkhighlands suggests that the burn is impassable in spate, but walkers would have had to paddle often I think. Lovely ride back out along the glens, quite a bit of ascent as well as descent. The track improved as we carried on, finally on tarmac quite a long way up the glen. Continued on tarmac through Delnabo back to car park. Brilliant to have a ride and a summit all in one!
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Circular cycle ride from Tomintoul, oh, and a Graham

Postby gaffr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:47 am

Hello,
I see that you folks enjoy reaching your hills when using the off-road bikes....me too. :)
However on a ride from Dorback, over the water of Caiplich near the Castle, past a pigeon loft I guess to take the pressure off the grouse and onto the steep brae up to where your Graham could be reached....what is 40 metres upwards from the track...only I did not know that the top was on the list. :lol: so never got there.
Anyway over the years we have found the area to be fine for the use of the off-road bikes. To get to Ben Avon, bikes left near to the footbridge, via the big Coire. After an over night at the Fords of Avon refuge with a grand run down the Glen and out to Tomintoul...and several others days out in the area using the velo.
I see from another Post that you are building up a collection of biking/hill days out. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Circular cycle ride from Tomintoul, oh, and a Graham

Postby TheTortoise » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:07 pm

gaffr wrote:Hello,
I see that you folks enjoy reaching your hills when using the off-road bikes....me too. :)
However on a ride from Dorback, over the water of Caiplich near the Castle, past a pigeon loft I guess to take the pressure off the grouse and onto the steep brae up to where your Graham could be reached....what is 40 metres upwards from the track...only I did not know that the top was on the list. :lol: so never got there.
Anyway over the years we have found the area to be fine for the use of the off-road bikes. To get to Ben Avon, bikes left near to the footbridge, via the big Coire. After an over night at the Fords of Avon refuge with a grand run down the Glen and out to Tomintoul...and several others days out in the area using the velo.
I see from another Post that you are building up a collection of biking/hill days out. :)

Hello
You are much more adventurous than us on mountain bikes - we really prefer tarmac! At the moment we are mainly focussing on remote Grahams so there will be more days with cycling. But yes, there are some other interesting looking tracks in the area for another time..... :)
TheTortoise
Mountain Walker

Fionas:219   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland