walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Thorngrafton Common, Hadrian's Wall & Grindon Lough

Thorngrafton Common, Hadrian's Wall & Grindon Lough

Postby Christo1979 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Date walked: 30/06/2019

Time taken: 5

Distance: 19.7 km

Ascent: 542m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another weekend closer to home meant no big hills, but there is plenty of pleasant walking to be done as I work my way through all the little hills on the Hexham and Haltwhistle OS sheet. Just a couple left to do, so off we went to Bardon Mill late on a glorious summer's day, for a gentle circular wander.

From Bardon Mill it was straight up to Thorngrafton, and then on to the access land where a couple of rough paths lead up to the Long Stone and its good views of Vindolanda. I've walked most of Hadrian's Wall over the years, but up ahead I could see the short section of a mile or so that my boots hadn't touched yet, so was looking forward to 'joining it all together' today.

ImageThe Long Stone by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

A short hop from the Long Stone brought us to 'little hill number one' - Thorngrafton Common, and then the path led down to the main road which we followed for a short time before heading up to Hotbank Crags.

ImageThorngrafton Common by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

A pleasant walk along the Hadrian's Wall Path gave us a chance to actually walk on the wall for a spell, and we enjoyed good views Northwards before passing Housesteads Roman Fort.

ImageHadrian’s Wall by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

Before long it was up to Sewingshields Crags, and so the wall was stitched together, having walked Westwards to this point before. A brief spell of wind and rain meant only a very quick lunch break near the trig point, then it was back down to join the footpath (or at least right of way) down the hill and across the main road again, through farm fields and towards Grindon Lough.

ImageHadrian’s Wall by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

ImageSewingshields Crags by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

A couple of nervous encounters with herds of cows and their young, as well as a stand-off with a huge bull made for a little bit of to-ing and fro-ing, but we largely follow the path and were relieved to emerge on the road unscathed :lol: Grindon Lough looked almost tidal, with its sandy soil shore and the little waves rippling in what was now a fairly stiff breeze. We followed the road back towards Thorgrafton Common, from where it was an easy but boggy little drop back down to Bardon Mill.

No grand views, no high drama (apart from the cattle), no great ascents, but a lovely way to spend a few hours and get out walking. And hey, that's now every summit (no matter how modest) on OS 87 ticked-off.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: Thorngrafton Common, Hadrian's Wall & Grindon Lough

Postby trailmasher » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Nice one Christo :clap: some nice photos there and a good report. What a great idea, putting your boots on every hill on the OS Map 8) :clap: and that's given me an idea for my next mission :thumbup: to keep me going ever onwards and upwards :lol: KBO :wink:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Thorngrafton Common, Hadrian's Wall & Grindon Lough

Postby Christo1979 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:14 pm

trailmasher wrote:Nice one Christo :clap: some nice photos there and a good report. What a great idea, putting your boots on every hill on the OS Map 8) :clap: and that's given me an idea for my next mission :thumbup: to keep me going ever onwards and upwards :lol: KBO :wink:

Thanks Trailmasher :) I'm afraid relying on public transport and often working weekends mean I get whole spells away from the bigger hills I want to walk, and end up doing several easy, local walks. Always good to be out, though :)

Thanks as ever for your comments on my reports, and thanks for the detailed and informative reports you have posted - always a go-to!
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland