walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui

Ben Macdui

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui

Date walked: 19/07/2018

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started off at the ski centre car park on a glorious July morning and took the route along the front of the corrie faces up towards the Larig Gru. Paths were great due to this cracking summer we have had up here. The uphill starts here but you are rewarded with great views of the Fiacaill buttress.

07.19.18 001 Fiacial Buttress.JPG

Soon over the first wee ascent and up on to the plateau past Lochan Buidhe towards the boulder field. Met one of the local Reindeer here who as only about 100-150 feet away. I thought it was wanting a square go with the dog :lol: :lol:

Reindeer 0041.JPG

Once past the scree, it wasn't long before the summit trig came into view.

07.19.18 005 Ben Macdui Summit.JPG

07.19.18 007 Fraoch (2).jpg

Also seen my first of these cheeky chappies and this wee girl was more than willing to share a bit of Mars bar :crazy:
Snow Bunting 0021.JPG

From here I headed back down to Lochan Buidhe with the intent of going over Cairngorm but it was starting to get too busy for the dog so decided to make my descent along the quieter Fiaciall a'Choire Chais back to the carpark :D
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:7

Re: Ben Macdui

Postby gaffr » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:45 am

We cheeky chappy... Snow bunting perhaps. I once had a wee dog and of the deer we came across the only ones that she would not go near were the reindeer.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Ben Macdui

Postby Johnoneill1916 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:20 pm

Aye, its a wee hen Snow Bunting. I was also fortunate enough to see a couple of cock Snow Buntings on the way down from Fiaciall a'Choire Chais

Snow Bunting 015 (3).JPG

I dont blame the dog for not going near lol. They are big beasties :lol:
Johnoneill1916
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:17   
Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland