walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tinto Hill - a grand place for the dogs first walk

Tinto Hill - a grand place for the dogs first walk

Postby wilkiemurray » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:14 pm

Route description: Tinto from the north

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 23/02/2019

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Video of hike

Confession time – I have never climbed Tinto Hill!

One of Scotland’s most popular hills, it lies in the opposite direction to where I usually head on my outdoor adventures, and as such I have never headed down here. However we were heading down to meet and collect our new family member (Lexi) from Dunfries so I had a chance to nip up the famous Tinto en route home , and a chance to take the week dog for her first walk 

It was mid February, but very mild… in fact it felt more summer like. What wasn’t summer like was the howling southerly gale!! Anyway after collecting our wee dog we got to the car park for Tinto around midday and with it being a Saturday, it was heaving, I think we got the last car parking spot.

Off we set but about a third way up the hill we decided it was too windy for my wife and dog so they headed back for a cake and coffee and I struck on up towards the summit. Not much to say apart from I can see why its such a popular hill. Great expansive views in all directions and a well worn path all the way to summit, means it would be hard to get lost up here.

My arrival on the super big bundle of stones on the summit was greeted with the full extent of the gale force winds. Struggling to stand, I dropped down a little and got alittle shelter in one of the many shelter circles that surround the summit.

Taking in the views, I didn’t linger too long and soon headed off and back to the car where the family were waiting.

A grand wee detour and hill, and well worth the short hike
wilkiemurray

Re: Tinto Hill - a grand place for the dogs first walk

Postby Tinto63 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:01 pm

Enjoyed the video and glad you liked Tinto, always good to hear from someone with 'fresh eyes' who appreciates this hill. Despite my tag, I'm not up Tinto that often, just three times so far this year. But 3/4 times a year for 20+ years does add up...

Hope your new dog has fitted into the family well.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Tinto Hill - a grand place for the dogs first walk

Postby johnscot55 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:06 pm

Did this a few weeks ago and ended up sharing it with 550 kids on a charity climb. You know when some people say a hill was like Sauchiehall Street!!!!
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland