walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

First time bivvy , any tips please ?

Re: First time bivvy , any tips please ?

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:32 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:
rabthecairnterrier wrote:
Alpkit tarp and Snugpak Stratosphere combined weight 1.43kg.
Terra Nova Laser Comp 1 (ie a proper tent) weight 0.97kg.
No contest.

Pretty much the same conclusion that I came to over 10 years ago. Seems nothing much has changed!

Hmmm! My bivvy bag weighs 200gm, and has worked well on both occasions I've used it. Not sure tents are down to that weight yet.....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby CharlesT » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:42 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
jmarkb wrote:Go high and find a breezy spot to avoid getting eaten alive!

Nonsense ~ only bivvi in mild, muggy, warm and damp weather with no wind. Lie down in damp, swampy, sheltered areas, preferably near water, or in moorland. Do not use tents, bothies, hostels or any of the other shelters developed over thousands of years of human evolution. Just lie on the ground like a worm. That's progress; the fun never stops.

Alternatively, one of these should keep the mozzies and ticks at bay.
Fo4fh-nate-diversuit.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby rgf101 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:47 am

The weight isn't the point of a bivvy. The point of a bivvy is that in the right conditions ( dry, no midges) you have a wider range of places to sleep and get to watch the stars when you're woken up at 4am by a slug climbing up your nose.

If you're using a tarp, it also makes a grand impromptu shelter for showers and tea breaks.
rgf101

Postby DopeyLoser » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:03 pm

There seems to be a range of ideas as to what consistutes a bivy. It goes from a bag to a bag/tent hybrid to either of those plus a tarpaulin. Basically the word 'bivy' seems to be whatever shelter you like, between nothing at all and a tent.

My idea of a bivy has always been a waterproof (if Goretex is waterproof) bag that has a hood and which can close completely. So I don't understand comments about rain and midges. They are on the outside, you're on the inside. In fact you'll experience more midges putting up / taking down a tent.

I also don't understand a comment saying weight is not the point. Yes a bivy bag does give you a lot more options, no need to find a flat spot, and it won't blow away, not while you're inside it. But to me weight is most definitely a consideration. Nowadays there are ultra-light tents and usually I will take a tent. But if I want to go super-light and am willing to sacrifice comfort then I'll take the bivy bag.

For the OP looking for advice, not much to it. Only advice is: just do it.
DopeyLoser

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:05 pm

rgf101 wrote:The weight isn't the point of a bivvy. The point of a bivvy is that in the right conditions ( dry, no midges) you have a wider range of places to sleep and get to watch the stars when you're woken up at 4am by a slug climbing up your nose.

If you're using a tarp, it also makes a grand impromptu shelter for showers and tea breaks.

If it's dry & no midges why not just lie out in your sleeping bag?
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:33 pm

rgf101 wrote:The weight isn't the point of a bivvy. The point of a bivvy is that in the right conditions ( dry, no midges) you have a wider range of places to sleep and get to watch the stars when you're woken up at 4am by a slug climbing up your nose.

Agreed - which is why I greatly enjoy bivvying when the conditions and the location are right. Bivvying to me means minimalism, a bivvy bag, light sleeping bag and 3/4 length mat, often no stove but just dry food, and the opportunity to travel fast and light and "pitch" virtually anywhere. However, a hooped bivvy is not really a bivvy but a cramped tent; a tarp complicates things even more. If you want a tent (for forecast rain, or midge season) then go for a tent; if you want to bivvy, go for a proper bivvy bag.
At the end of the day though, it's all down to personal preference, and I've done enough wild camping and bivvying to know what works for me and what doesn't.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:27 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:[

Did that on Sgurr nan Eag a few years ago, and when I woke in the morning my bag was pretty damp from early morning dew (it had been a perfect night weatherwise).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Alteknacker wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:[

Did that on Sgurr nan Eag a few years ago, and when I woke in the morning my bag was pretty damp from early morning dew (it had been a perfect night weatherwise).

Fair point, there's probably not many spots to pitch a tent on Sgurr nan Eag.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:08 pm

DopeyLoser wrote:There seems to be a range of ideas as to what consistutes a bivy. It goes from a bag to a bag/tent hybrid to either of those plus a tarpaulin. Basically the word 'bivy' seems to be whatever shelter you like, between nothing at all and a tent.

Indeed. I have a bivvi bag which bears an uncanny resemblance to a windsock from a helicopter landing pad. It, er... fell off the back of an oil rig... :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
DopeyLoser wrote:There seems to be a range of ideas as to what consistutes a bivy. It goes from a bag to a bag/tent hybrid to either of those plus a tarpaulin. Basically the word 'bivy' seems to be whatever shelter you like, between nothing at all and a tent.

Indeed. I have a bivvi bag which bears an uncanny resemblance to a windsock from a helicopter landing pad. It, er... fell off the back of an oil rig... :shock:

At least you'll always know which direction the wind is coming from. Bit annoying if you don't like having the wind always in your face though.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:25 am

Ben Nachie wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:

At least you'll always know which direction the wind is coming from. Bit annoying if you don't like having the wind always in your face though.

You think maybe I should take it off the pole? :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion