walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Turning 30 & hitting 50 on the Inn Pinn

Turning 30 & hitting 50 on the Inn Pinn

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 07/08/2010

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1065m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Me,Gammy leg walker & JB likes a beer
Guide, Richard (paddy) mcguire)
Just over 6 hours walking
Weather perfect (compared to the previous week)
Digs, The old inn at carbost
Gammy legs 50th munro
JB likes a beer 60th munro
Me, just another day older :)

About a year ago my wife started asking what i wanted to do for my 30th birthday with the main topic being a party and i said i would much rather be up a hill out the road hoping that she would take me on,so she arranged with the her dad and james to organise a trip to skye for the inn pinn, a surprise she only managed to keep from me for around 12 hours :)

So after much anticipation we set off on friday morning in the usual **** rain with not much hope of getting a decent day but we all said as long as it was dry with light winds we would settle for that.
We where staying at the carbost inn which was an ideal location for the cuillin,this was to prove a good choice as the rooms,staff and food where all excellent (if you do visit the carbost a sirloin steak with talisker sauce is a must)
It was an early night on friday with just a few beers :shock: as we were all pretty nervous about our trip so it was an early rise with not much sleep.Paddy had arranged to meet us at 9 o'clock which we thought was late but it was only a 15 minute drive to the car park.
As we arrived we noticed another party guided by tony hanly who where also heading for the inn pinn,after a quick check of the ropes etc we where on our way(followed closey by the party of 7)
view from the car park.JPG

Clear tops for now.JPG

The start of the walk here was really testing as paddy was setting a fair pace and we where almost struggling to keep up.
After around half an hour he stopped to let us have a breather and we where able to take 5 and have a look at the already stunning views to loch brittle
Loch Brittle.JPG
Looking towards Rum.JPG

We set off again now trying to catch the group in front with an obsession that there was going to be a large que at the base of the pinn
We approached a the first hands on section which paddy called the chimney and passed the group at the start of the climb,this was the last we would see of them until the top of sgurr dearg.Climbing the chimney was great and the views to sgurr alasdair and out to sea where impressing.
Gammy leg.JPG
James & Paddy.JPG

It wasnt long after this that we were told to put the poles away as we where going to have to use our hands at sections, i really enjoyed the climb to sgurr dearg although there where a few exposed sections but by this time we were surrounded by cloud.
We soon arrived at a part of the route where paddy said you would normally see the pinn but not today but as we walked round a section there was a short climb to the top of sgurr dearg when all of a sudden this huge rock is facing right in front of you,although i have seen many pictures and videos of this it is a little frightining when you first see it especially from the base.
After a quick drop of the bags and on with the harnesses we made our approach down the slopes,as paddy set up the ropes we could only stand and admire what was in front of us and i have to admit by this time i was really looking forward to it
Inn Pinn 1.JPG
Inn Pinn 2.JPG
Inn Pinn 3.JPG

With a lot of reasurance from paddy we where ready to go, Paddy went up first and then shouted on gammy leg to follow then there was me and james bringing up the rear
Gammy leg on the 1st climb.JPG

All the nerves where now forgotten as paddy shouted on me to go with james behind, i have to admit i enjoyed this from the start except one section on the 1st climb where there was a badly eroded foot hold which required more upper body strength to get me up,this apart from the descent was the only worrying moment i had but still it was no problem.
It was a good feeling even getting to the 1st section where it wasnt long before gammy leg was soon heading up again
I think someone is dreading the next climb.jpg

Inn Pinn 4.JPG

See you up there.JPG

James & Tony Hanly.JPG

This section was apparently the easier climb but although it was well clagged in you could almost feel the emptiness all around you, it was now that paddy was worth his weight in gold as he kept encouriging us up,this section felt really narrow and exposed but before i knew it we where all at the top.
We had minutes here as paddy set up the ropes for the descent and although we knew the work wasnt done we where still lapping it up making it to the top
At the top.jpg

The abseiling was to prove the most difficult bit for me as i hadnt done anything like this before and after watching JB and gammy leg going down smoothly :lol: it was my turn.
Paddy again was great here but its such a hard thing to get the mind to tell the body to hang over such a high drop almost horizontally and to put your life into the hands of someone you have just met :)
Dont look down.jpg
Nearly there.jpg

This is when we could really celebrate our acheivement although we werent off the hill the hard work was done,it was now time to watch the next group coming down after us.
Inn Pinn 5.JPG
Watching the other group descend.JPG

After a quick bite to eat we where soon on our way and followed the same route down and had a chance to get some more pics
Narrow path.JPG
James, Paddy & Loch Brittle.JPG
Paddy Going down the chimney.JPG
Eas Mor Falls.JPG

So all in an excellent weekend with a wee message to anyone put off by the inn pinn that if we can do it so can you :)
also that apart from the group of 7 which only 4 done the pinn that we only passed 2 other walkers the whole day and there where no ques but paddy did say it wasnt the peak time of the year.
Would also highly reccomend a guide especially paddy as he was brilliant and also great company,we also got chatting to tony hanly on the climb and at the carbost inn they can both be found here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/guides.shtml

inn pin.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

(forgot to start the satmap at the carpark) :roll:

Also a big thank you to my wife for booking me such a great trip for my birthday,couldnt have asked for any better

The weekend was rounded off with a drive up to torridon to see next years target, Liathach 8)

Thanks for reading
Alan
Last edited by Alan S on Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Turning 30 & hitting 50 on the Inn Pinn

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Great report...Well done to you three! After looking at those pics though im even more frightened to give it a go! Looks scary.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Clamberer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Congratulations- What an awesome way to spend your birthday! Fantastic pictures too. :D
Clamberer
Rambler

Munros:228   Corbetts:17
Fionas:5   

Postby Stretch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:54 pm

Amazing stuff you guys, and happy birthday. I think I'd almost rather do this in the cloud so I couldn't see what was below me :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Fine report alan,glad you enjoyed your birthday,brill pics to go with your report also,hope my report will compliment yours m8
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Well done big chap. I felt a little nervous just looking at the photos - really captured the moment. I'm sure there were a few beers that night.... :wink:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks for the comments

mountain thyme wrote:After looking at those pics though im even more frightened to give it a go! Looks scary.

Thanks MT, i think it would have been more scary if it was wet and windy But it really wasnt that bad but theres only one way you will find out :D
Clamberer wrote:Congratulations- What an awesome way to spend your birthday! Fantastic pictures too. :D

Thanks Clamberer, Your right it was and ideal birthday, i did feel bad leaving the kids so ive taken all this week off with them before i head to mull on friday :D
Stretch wrote:I think I'd almost rather do this in the cloud so I couldn't see what was below me

Cheers stretch,it maybe wasnt a bad thing that it was covered in cloud, i no gammy leg was pleased with this, at one point it opened up when i was on a really narrow ledge and i looked down :shock:
gammy leg walker wrote:Fine report alan

Cheers mate when are you putting yours on, just dont put any on with that big 30 badge you made me wear :lol:
kevsbald wrote:Well done big chap. I felt a little nervous just looking at the photos - really captured the moment. I'm sure there were a few beers that night.... :wink:

Thanks Kev, after the walk it was room,shower pub in jig time so yes there were more than a few beers.we did want another go at blaven on sunday but the mind and the body said no :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:42 am

Nice one. That's what I call a birthday party! :lol: I think I will have to get in touch with Paddy before much longer. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Alan S » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:38 pm

Cheers Graeme
Graeme Dewar wrote: think I will have to get in touch with Paddy before much longer

I would highly reccomend him and we are are thinking of using him again for next year,if you want i could pm you his number
If you do speak to him tell him im still waiting for my sheep he promised me for my birthday :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:39 pm

Hi Alan. These pics are as detailed as I've seen of this monstrosity but strangely make it seem not as bad as I imagined :? . I don't have a fear of heights, just falling from them :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Graeme D » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:03 pm

alan s wrote:Cheers Graeme
Graeme Dewar wrote: think I will have to get in touch with Paddy before much longer

I would highly reccomend him and we are are thinking of using him again for next year,if you want i could pm you his number
If you do speak to him tell him im still waiting for my sheep he promised me for my birthday :lol:

I'd appreciate that Alan - a few of us at work are keen to get a group together. And I'll chivvy him up about the sheep! :shock:
Graeme D

Postby monty » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Just read GLW's account.
Well done. Good effort with some good pictures. Fills me with envy :lol:
monty

Postby Alan S » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:50 am

Graeme Dewar wrote:I'd appreciate that Alan - a few of us at work are keen to get a group together. And I'll chivvy him up about the sheep!

:lol: Paddy was just joining in the banter, i think thats what JB and Gammy leg had in mind if i didnt do the climb :)
Ive sent you a PM

LeithySuburbs wrote:Hi Alan. These pics are as detailed as I've seen of this monstrosity but strangely make it seem not as bad as I imagined :? . I don't have a fear of heights, just falling from them :lol: .

Thanks for the comments, i did plan to take more pics of us clibling up but once your on it the last thing on my mind was turning round to get my camera out my pocket :) Im sure you will manage it no bother when the time comes :)

monty wrote:Well done. Good effort with some good pictures. Fills me with envy

Cheers Monty, Get yourself back up to Skye mate, one thing i wouldnt reccomend running up it :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:01 am

I can see the report now - Monty does the In Pinn in 12 minutes flat! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Postby Graeme D » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:26 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for all the info on Paddy Maguire. Just one little thing concerns me though. Do you think he's really the ideal person to get you safely up and back down the In Pinn????

pm.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland