walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Which Munro/Corbett will you leave till last, or...

Re: Which Munro/Corbett will you leave till last, or...

Postby crfishwick » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:26 am

The inpin if not a climber. Might need some practice first. :wink: I know a guy who reckons he has done the Munros 3 times. Unfortunately he fails to mention he 'ain't done the inpin. :lol:

As for Corberts take your pick. :wink:
crfishwick

Postby crfishwick » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:31 am

Coop wrote:Seana Bhraigh (almost probably)
Its miles from anywhere, so a big day to reflect on all the hills trudged up and down.
There wont be many (if any) when I compleat, so no need to worry about leaving an "easier" one.
It's got a cool name.
Do this and then, as usual, think of the next hill to go up

Nowadays Seana Bhraigh is easy to get there as an estate has opened up their estate road to the public so saves a lot of legwork. Although I have done it on 3 occasions the hard way :wink:
crfishwick

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:45 pm

I did Ben Nevis by the tourist path for my last munro. Basically because I didn't want to do it but also because I wanted a hill my dad could do easily enough for the last munro. It ended up being awful as there was a charity walk on and there were queues at various points. I'll do Ben Nevis via the CMD at some point but the experience only reinforced my hatred of busy hills.

In hindsight I would have kept Bla Bheinn for last I think. I'm not sure what my last Corbett will be... maybe Ben Vrackie or Goatfell for the same reasons as above!

:lol:
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby GavinKennedy86 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:32 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:I did Ben Nevis by the tourist path for my last munro. Basically because I didn't want to do it but also because I wanted a hill my dad could do easily enough for the last munro. It ended up being awful as there was a charity walk on and there were queues at various points. I'll do Ben Nevis via the CMD at some point but the experience only reinforced my hatred of busy hills.

In hindsight I would have kept Bla Bheinn for last I think. I'm not sure what my last Corbett will be... maybe Ben Vrackie or Goatfell for the same reasons as above!

I'm not sure what I'd leave until last, I'm working my way up from the bottom and also now the top as my wife's from Ullapool. Probably something in the Cairngorms or Torridon way.

I'd like to do my last one with my wife so I'll keep one that's a good walk as normally get more of a shift on when I'm by myself.

I just done CMD & Nevis on Saturday, it was great! No way I'd go up the normal route, though it was fun seeing people's faces when I ran by on the way down. :lol:
GavinKennedy86
Munro compleatist

Munros:81   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fiona Reid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:57 pm

Bidean nam Bian was our last Munro first time and was chosen because it was pretty much the only one we had left that was feasible for folks joining us on a day trip from the central belt. We started and finished at the Clachaig. It wasn't open at the start of the day but some of our party became uncharacteristically spritely when they could see it on the way down! The motivating powers of beer and chips :wink:

Second time around we chose Lurg Mhor as we were also finishing the tops the same day and that was the only hill left we could do both. We were told by multiple people "you're on your own for that" and indeed we were, although I'd happily have going without the cleg onslaught as we did then during last summer's heatwave.

For the Corbetts we picked Glamaig so we could have members of our club join us as it coincided with a meet.

If we ever get around to round 3 of the Munros or the Grahams then we might actually try to pick something vaguely sensible to enable others to join us... Time will tell...
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby SummitStupid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:49 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:I did Ben Nevis by the tourist path for my last munro. Basically because I didn't want to do it but also because I wanted a hill my dad could do easily enough for the last munro. It ended up being awful as there was a charity walk on and there were queues at various points. I'll do Ben Nevis via the CMD at some point but the experience only reinforced my hatred of busy hills.

I feel the same way as you - I have no real interest in climbing the Ben. But I imagine it would be an easy one to get people to join you on. If I left it for last, I'd want to do a ledge route/CMD combo, possibly meeting those without a head for heights at the top. But Bla Bheinn - now there's a good suggestion!

I have huge love for Assynt, and I like the idea of leaving Ben More Assynt for last - I've climbed Conival in outrageous clag and wind but left BMA so that I would be forced to revisit on a nicer day.
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:23
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:84   Islands:10

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 pm

we have 42 to go, and no plans about which to compleat on. I suspect it depends on where the weather is going to be when we have our holidays. ask again in 2 years
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby SummitStupid » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:02 pm

mrssanta wrote:ask again in 2 years

Remind me in 23 months.
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:21 am

SummitStupid wrote: Personally I have little interest in climbing Scafell Pike (nor Ben Nevis for that matter) so I think it would be easy enough for me to leave that until last, and I think it would be easy to convince a few non-walking friends to join me on England's highest if I completed there. Though the ironist in me likes the idea of leaving somewhere like Mungrisdale Common for last.

As for Ben More, although I'm sure it's a grand day out I think I'd like to keep one of the more special hills for my last. I like the idea of Ben Hope - so far removed from the others, it seems like it would be a good summit from which to reminisce, but I'd have scant chance of getting anyone else to do that with me...

Ben More is a special hill with a great route to the top and one of the finest views you will see from a summit. Mull is a fantastic place to visit on its own. I have only done Scafell Pike by the standard route from Wasdale Head but it was still a good day out.
The Ben is a fantastic hill that I have been on often. The options are endless and routes to suit all abilities, you shouldn't dismiss it.
CMD & Ben Nevis 3rd September 2018
20180903_102039.jpg

The pony track, tourist path or whatever its name is now is much maligned but it serves a purpose and good days can be had on it also.
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=58025
Give it a try. All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby SummitStupid » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Yeah, I'm not disparaging Ben Nevis particularly, it does look a great day out climbed from the east. And I think part of the reason I haven't climbed it yet is just a weird contrariness on my part. But I just think the pony track looks dull and crowded, like the Llanberis path on Snowdon which I think should only be used in descent.

As for Ben More, I should probably stick to talking about mountains I know more about! It does look grand.
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:09 pm

We did An Teallach as our Munro completion - was a great choice, preceded by a scramble along the pinnacles.
Second round was a Ben More Mull finish for me, I think because there was a tradition of so many folk finishing there.
Third round (hopefully next year) will co-incide with finishing my second round of Munro Tops, so is likely to either be An Teallach again (where I finished my first round of Tops) or perhaps Bidean nam Bian. Apart from the first round, where Scoob & Fi were with us, we haven't had any company along, so didn't have to consider which hill from that perspective.

Corbetts - first time was Fraochaidh for no particular reason. I would have preferred to finish on the Beinn Deargs in Fisherfield, but I was looking at a December finish and that was a bit challenging :wink: I have 48 left on the second round and once again it's going to be a December finish (hopefully) so I need to leave one that's manageable in the short cold days. Beinn an Oir on Jura would be nice, but I don't think too practicable for December.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 pm

SummitStupid wrote:
mrssanta wrote:ask again in 2 years

Remind me in 23 months.

oh dear! you'd better remind me in 22 months! and so on
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby FleetwoodHack » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:20 pm

Having only done my 10% of them over the last 9 years, I got the bug and since getting a car have started plotting lots of days and routes.

Doing so has made me think a lot about which i'll do, or more specifically keep, for last. I got the idea that i'd like to invite everyone who has come along on hill days with me, especially those who I made short-lived friendships with as we were on the same route, to come along and complete the round with me. This has made me think It would be nice to save a simple single, accessible peak for last. I haven't done Ben Lomond for example and have been semi-consciously avoiding it. Braeriach alluded me in bad weather when I tried the Devil's Point-Braeriach traverse one summer. But it's pretty accessible from Glenmore with the hostel and the campsite, so plenty of accommodation for everyone if we stayed over that night to have a bit of a party!

So it's a long way away yet but I'm glad i've been thinking about it as i'd love to save one for last that everyone can get to and we can all climb it and stay together that night. The photos of everyone together and the catching up would just make such an incredibly nice finish to remember it with.
FleetwoodHack
Munro compleatist

Munros:68   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion