walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Hill of the Flies the hard way - Craig of Monievreckie

The Hill of the Flies the hard way - Craig of Monievreckie

Postby Chris Mac » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:11 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Craig of Monievreckie

Date walked: 22/06/2019

Time taken: 3.18 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 468m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Craig-of-Monievreckie.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weekend before my holiday and I faniced a walk before a week of sloth but nothing too major or dar away. I decided it was time to visit Craig of Monievreckie behind Aberfoyle and maybe Beinn Dearg, two local sub2000 Marilyns.

I headed off late in the afternoon, the joy of summer walking, local hills don't require a crack of dawn start. Parking at Braeval car park I set off uphill through the trees:
ImageDSC_0002 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The path soon took me out onto a track which I followed up and around the hill side:
ImageDSC_0008 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Continuing round the hillside crags the path then splits and I head right and up hill:
ImageDSC_0011 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Heading towards the mini-valley section of the hill towards where I should take the path right towards the summit:
ImageDSC_0015 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Almost above the tree line it was time to have some water and enjoy the view back towards Glasgow:
ImageDSC_0016 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Dumgoyne:
ImageDSC_0017 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Duncolm:
ImageDSC_0018 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Now perhaps I was faffing about with my camera, perhaps the map, but I walked past a fairly obvious opening in the trees to the main path up hill, finding myself further along at the next v burn section on the way to the transmittor. A faint path headed over the fence here anyway but it looked like I was making things difficult for myself and forcing an off-piste ramble that wasn't required! :roll:
ImageDSC_0021 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Make yer own path!
ImageDSC_0022 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

My reward was a nice view looking north at the big hills peeking out:
ImageDSC_0023 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Now facing Craig of Monievreckie West Top with human dots walking down the ridge on the path I should have been on! :crazy:
ImageDSC_0026 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I looked down at a sea of bracken below me...
ImageDSC_0028 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Wading through and heading downhill towards the steep flank of the hill I spotted what looked like a path heading uphill:
ImageDSC_0029 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was of course a burn and I cursed myself for somehow picking the trickiest way up an easy sub2000! I guess we all have one of those days eventually! To make matters worse by now a swarm of a few dozen flies were now pestering me on the ascent and would stay with me up to the summit, if it doesn't rain... flies! :lol:

Higher up now and facing another steep section up to the west top I decide to head east and reach the low point between the top and summit and go for the summit first:
ImageDSC_0035 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I had planned to add in Beinn Dearg for this walk but my early self-enforced twattery and resulting difficulty made me re-think my plans, it was a lovely late afternoon, the hordes were leaving the hill to head home for dinner, i've been rushed off summits for the last few months, maybe i'll just do the one hill today and thoroughly enjoy it...?!

I looked over to Ben Ledi, Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich on the way, this is a pretty good viewpoint:
ImageDSC_0038 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Behind me I could make out the ridges of Arran to the south west, this is a cracking wee viewpoint, getting better all the time!
ImageDSC_0039 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I reach the inbetween point of the summit and west top towards the Lake of Menteith and Carleatheran:
ImageDSC_0042 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

My gang of flies were still with me for the final hike up to the summit, shown below, yet I had showered in the morning! It seemed to be one of those late summer aftenoons when most of the insect population of the Trossachs had descended on the one hill:
ImageDSC_0045 by djchrismac, on Flickr

A good path took me through the heather but the view north was already distracting me:
ImageDSC_0046 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Flies - adding black splodges to photo's since the invention of the camera:
ImageDSC_0054 by djchrismac, on Flickr

The view east isn't too shabby either with Uamh Bheag left, Beinn Dearg centre and the Ochils on the right. Resting against the trig point is an older gentleman, I approach say hi and we exchange pleasantries about being up a hill on such a nice day:
ImageDSC_0055 by djchrismac, on Flickr

I then proceed to take a few shots but the only trouble with the summit of Craig of Monievreckie is the bloody great tree right in the way!

Ben Venue directly west and slightly north:
ImageDSC_0075 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Loch Katrine with Beinn Chabhair, An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chroin and Cruach Ardrain providing the skyline and you can make out pointy Ben A'an just below Cruach Ardrain:
ImageDSC_0077 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Plenty of tourists on Ben A'an today unsurprisingly:
ImageDSC_0080 by djchrismac, on Flickr

The trig point gent decided it was tea time and as I had a late brunch it was dinner snack time for me as I sat against the trig point and escaped the wrath of the flies for the first time in a while as they went off to enjoy bagging another Marilyn in their own way. :D

I got comfy, scarf out to sit on, makes a handy cushion, sandwich and snacks being steadily consumed as the big lens had a look around, first at the Ochils an Ben Cleuch, Dumywat and co. to the south east:
ImageDSC_0083 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Dumyat and Abbey Craig close up:
ImageDSC_0084 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Abbey Craig:
ImageDSC_0086 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Stirling Castle:
ImageDSC_0087 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Grangemouth and the Forth:
ImageDSC_0088 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Distant Pentlands:
ImageDSC_0089 by djchrismac, on Flickr

To the south are the Gargunnock Hills/Kilsyth Hills/Campsies with Carleatheran:
ImageDSC_0090 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Strondend and Meikle Bin:
ImageDSC_0092 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Earl's Seat, Dumgoyne, Glasgow and Auchineden Hill:
ImageDSC_0095 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Kilpatrick Hills and summit Duncolm:
ImageDSC_0102 by djchrismac, on Flickr

As I was looking at the upturned bucket or bowl of Duncolm a thought struck me...
ImageDSC_0103 by djchrismac, on Flickr

... it would be typical for some daft artist to decide to build a giant Oor Wullie statue to sit on the summit of Duncolm! Just for the record I do not want this to happen, ever. Possibly due to being freaked out when I passed a small Oor Wullie statue collecting for charity or something at a junction on the way past Killearn! :lol: I keep seeing them everywhere now! :shock:

Moving on and around, now looking south west towards the south end of Loch Lomond over the hillside of Gualann with Arran's Corbett's providing a distant ridge line:
ImageDSC_0104 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Arran, the family are all there just now so I text my brother and tell him i'm watching them :D :
ImageDSC_0107 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Directly west the view is a cracker with Ben Lomond, Ben Arthur and Beinn Narnain all visible and Beinn Ime now obscured behind Beinn an Fhogharaidh of Ben Venue:
ImageDSC_0108 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Cracking:
ImageDSC_0134 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Meall Gainmheich with Stob Binnein and Ben More dominating the distant hills in height and looking beatifully pointy as they do from almost any angle:
ImageDSC_0115 by djchrismac, on Flickr

A few more close-ups - Ben Arthur:
ImageDSC_0139 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Ben Lomond:
ImageDSC_0165 by djchrismac, on Flickr

A closer look south again at Stronend in shadow with Meikle Bin in sunlight behind it:
ImageDSC_0178 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Earl's Seat:
ImageDSC_0186 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Dumgoyne:
ImageDSC_0192 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Time for the wide angle lens, I would spend just under an hour and a half sitting at the summit in the end, happily enjoying the view and taking a few more shots of the cracking 360 degree view all around me. Ben Ledi and the Strathyre hills north east:
ImageDSC_0201 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Neighbour Beinn Dearg directly east, not today, I'm quite happy taking my time! 8)
ImageDSC_0206 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Ah well; I might aswell make use of this bloody tree! :lol:
ImageDSC_0231 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Yeah it works:
ImageDSC_0233 by djchrismac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0235 by djchrismac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0243 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Now time for the 35mm lens:
ImageDSC_0246 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Benvane and Ben Ledi:
ImageDSC_0248 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Ledi again with Beinn Each, Stuc a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich in the distance in the centre:
ImageDSC_0250 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Beinn Dearg and Craig of Monievreckie's summit cairn that isn't the summit: :crazy:
ImageDSC_0253 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Lake of Menteith:
ImageDSC_0255 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Directly west to the West Top:
ImageDSC_0263 by djchrismac, on Flickr

That view north again:
ImageDSC_0272 by djchrismac, on Flickr

The light was improving so I popped the big lens back on to get a few final shots of other points of interest, starting with the very pointy Ben A'an:
ImageDSC_0291 by djchrismac, on Flickr

The twin giants behind Meall Gainmheich's summit:
ImageDSC_0293 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Meall; Cala:
ImageDSC_0294 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Benvane:
ImageDSC_0296 by djchrismac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0297 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Ben Ledi:
ImageDSC_0303 by djchrismac, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0304 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Loch Venachar:
ImageDSC_0312 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Beinn Each, Stuch a' Chroin and Ben Vorlich:
ImageDSC_0313 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Looking along Craig of Monievreckie's ridge:
ImageDSC_0318 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Uamh Bheag:
ImageDSC_0319 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Ben Cleuch:
ImageDSC_0325 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Dumyat:
ImageDSC_0328 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Ben Venue:
ImageDSC_0338 by djchrismac, on Flickr

That was it, I have had enough! Not of the view, I could have enjoyed it all evening but a few more clegs had started pestering me again so it was time to set off downhill and find the path I had missed during the ascent. Looking back at the summit and trig pillar:
ImageDSC_0343 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Craig of Monievreckie West Top:
ImageDSC_0350 IMG_20190622_170637 by djchrismac, on Flickr

It's a quick down and up between summit and top, now looking back to the summit:
ImageDSC_0352 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Over the summit I go before descending:
ImageDSC_0353 by djchrismac, on Flickr

East and back to the summit from the West Top:
ImageDSC_0355 by djchrismac, on Flickr

North, love it:
ImageDSC_0359 by djchrismac, on Flickr

I continue to soak in the view as I saunter along the path and downhill:
ImageDSC_0362 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Loch Ard in view briefly:
ImageDSC_0363 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Aberfoyle down below:
ImageDSC_0365 by djchrismac, on Flickr

This is the path the people were on earlier while I was flailing about in bracken on a steep hillside: :lol:
ImageDSC_0370 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Brightening up towards the end of the day as usual:
ImageDSC_0379 by djchrismac, on Flickr

As I take a final glance towards the Crianlarich Munros I feel an urge to return there, it's been a while and i've still got 5 of the big ones to explore, hmmm?
ImageDSC_0391 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Right, so this is the way I should have come up the hill:
ImageDSC_0396 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Don't come from that direction whatever you do! :roll: :crazy:
ImageDSC_0397 by djchrismac, on Flickr

There;s a nice path this way:
ImageDSC_0398 by djchrismac, on Flickr

It takes you into the woods:
ImageDSC_0399 by djchrismac, on Flickr

There's a gate to go through:
ImageDSC_0400 IMG_20190622_172938 by djchrismac, on Flickr

A path through the trees:
ImageDSC_0401 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Back out onto the main track - this is the turn off I missed on the way up:
ImageDSC_0405 by djchrismac, on Flickr

I make quick progress back down the track:
ImageDSC_0409 by djchrismac, on Flickr

Soon returning to Braeval Car Park:
ImageDSC_0423 by djchrismac, on Flickr

I take my time changing as after all today hasn't been about bagging, it's been about taking it easy, soaking in a hill for once and thoroughly enjoying the view and short adventure, except the flies, wee buggers! :crazy: Go in winter! :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: The Hill of the Flies the hard way - Craig of Monievreck

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:05 pm

Nice report and path-miss warning! :lol: But, oof, those clegs! Love your photos, especially in the later light. The sky in 0350 is gorgeous and what great views north in 0359.
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby GillSte » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Nice report. Hope I'm not putting a dampener on things but I wonder if you checked yourself for tick bites? I was on that same hill last Friday and managed to get bitten by one of the little beasts with Lyme disease; I've got the classic bull's eye rash. I'm now on antibiotics for the next 3 weeks. I hope you've been luckier than me, but please keep checking yourself in case a rash comes up later (it might take a month) or be worried if you get flu-like symptoms. Oh, and the flies were pretty awful that day also...
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby Chris Mac » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:26 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:Nice report and path-miss warning! :lol: But, oof, those clegs! Love your photos, especially in the later light. The sky in 0350 is gorgeous and what great views north in 0359.

Thanks Emma, I blame the path not being where it is on the OS map! Yeah the light got great towards the end of my summit time, it's a cracking wee viewpoint.

GillSte wrote:Nice report. Hope I'm not putting a dampener on things but I wonder if you checked yourself for tick bites? I was on that same hill last Friday and managed to get bitten by one of the little beasts with Lyme disease; I've got the classic bull's eye rash. I'm now on antibiotics for the next 3 weeks. I hope you've been luckier than me, but please keep checking yourself in case a rash comes up later (it might take a month) or be worried if you get flu-like symptoms. Oh, and the flies were pretty awful that day also...

Cheers Gill, don't worry I always check and had none thanks to wearing trousers, plus so few people probably take the route I went to the summit that Tics will likely not be hanging around there anyway! If I had missed one then it would have been burned off a few days later by the sun in Crete! :lol:

Unlucky I hope you recover quickly from your bite. I actually carry tweezers in my rucksack now after being bitten half way up The Fruin by one of them and I had to watch it munch away on my leg the whole way until I could remove it back home, never again! :crazy:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:24 pm

You have a knack of finding hills of which I've never heard - and that's despite the fact that I once went on an organised mountain bike ride on the tracks round this hill :roll: As for the clegs :evil: Managed to keep the bites down to just a few on my lower arms last weekend only to get back and discover six on one shoulder alone - they'd been biting through my baselayer as the material would be stretched over the shoulder :shock: Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland