walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Scottish Island bagging

Re: Scottish Island bagging

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Hi Rodmeister, I've actually been to that one too :crazy: I think access is discouraged during the nesting season, but fine at other times.

As we've explained on this page, we didn't go for a rigid definition.

We're thinking me might add further minor islands like this to the map in an update later in the year so you can record them, though obviously not to the book. But we will still have to draw the line somewhere, as island bagging really goes on for ever - there are always smaller and smaller islands, stacks or skerries to consider. It's not like other lists as I don't really think there's a finish line.

Rohan, I've not worked out which island you mean. I'm guessing something related to the gaelic for seal?

And boy does the tide come in fast, take care😂👍
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rohan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:24 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Hi Rodmeister, I've actually been to that one too :crazy: I think access is discouraged during the nesting season, but fine at other times.

We're thinking me might add further minor islands like this to the map in an update later in the year so you can record them, though obviously not to the book. But we will still have to draw the line somewhere, as island bagging really goes on for ever - there are always smaller and smaller islands, stacks or skerries to consider. It's not like other lists as I don't really think there's a finish line.

Rohan, I've not worked out which island you mean. I'm guessing something related to the gaelic for seal?

Eilean nan Ron, Seal Island in the Kyle of Tongue.
rohan

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:22 pm

I always think the term "bagging" refers to people who buy the book and follow the routes and stick to them rigidly and don't have the imagination to tackle a hill any other way.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 am

looks good and I will put in an order.....meanwhile I have been Islanding/hillwalking for a very long time now but as I grow older and stiffer I wondered what I would actually do when I arrived on an island in my old landrover (accommodation sorted there) - after much thought I decided to educate myself on coastal stuff as I didn't know an emu from a penguin...

some excellent books on coastal stuff specific to Scotland which I can list for anyone who wants to know more about the habitat they are in on these beautiful islands
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:10 pm

rohan wrote:Oh dear, oh dear, I am a grumpy old git. I loathe and detest the term "bagging" which implies taking something and stuffing it in your bag. Indeed a lot of people will state "another one in the bag". Unexpected item in the bagging area, indeed. I have absolutely no problem with people ticking something off a list, turning a red dot, blue, logging it in their log book but "bagging" , oh no!. I would like to mount a campaign against the term but I suspect it is too ingrained in the human psyche and I am in a minority of one. Now when I look for the mountain drop down lists, I see "Bagging" aaargh. Sorry ( 'cept I'm not really!)

I'm with you, rohan, was looking for "Hills" and realised it had changed to "Bagging" :shock: , came on here to complain and found this thread. Suppose the adding of Islands to Hills necessitated a change.

I'm sure alternatives were considered, how about "Lists"?

Nothing to do with being grumpy or old, I'm neither :D (I'm not, I tell you :wink: ), a minor annoyance nonetheless.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby rohan » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Yes, in the general scheme of things a minor irritant on an otherwise great website.
rohan

Postby gaffr » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:11 am

Surely to 'tick off' an island the highest point on the island will have to be visited? :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby kaiserstein » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:35 am

gaffr wrote:Surely to 'tick off' an island the highest point on the island will have to be visited? :lol:

I met a guy in skye who had completed all the Marilyn's and was telling me about SIBs. Now that's bagging
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby mynthdd2 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:43 pm

for me - bagging/ticking etc has taken me to places I would not normally have considered and, actually, I have been to some amazing places by using eg a book ticklist ie the SMC NWScotland guide so Chapter One was Ardamurchan with great days out ticking all the boxes....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Crib Goch » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Paul Webster wrote:

Nice idea Paul - I have the book on order.

I accept that your list is a bit subjective, and if you invited suggestions for additions you would probably be inundated - I can think of a few.
The DoBIH lists 464 Scottish SIBs on Hillbagging.co.uk [criteria is minimum 30 Hectares or 30 metres prominence] so for the avid "list-tickers" amongst us, that is where to record our visits.

One other point - you list Lewis and Harris separately - so two ticks for one island?

Best wishes

Martin
Crib Goch
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:28
Fionas:25   Donalds:54
Sub 2000:45   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:42

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 pm

I'm not a fan of the menu change. If I want bagging i'll go to hill-bagging.co.uk and if I want to log an island i'll log a SIB on there. It makes more sense to me to bag an island by reaching the highest point, not just visiting it.

I liked hills and walks as menu options on Walkhighlands, it made more sense for what the site provides. Does this mean we'll soon be able to log Humps Tumps and the rest on here? Are you planning on using the DOBIH database so your hill info is up to date? If you're going to change to bagging then you need to go the whole way.

Walklakes do this and I quite like being able to log tumps, tops and more on there (mainly for the map showing all my logs on their own without all the unclimbed showing too) but it's not as smooth to use and I also preferred Walkhighlands for how it was, different - serving a purpose that was more than bagging, one of exploring, walking and enjoying Scotland, not racing up hills and back down again to claim a prize. It also seems strange to not include any inland islands or loch islands, again it should be all or nothing.

I've got lots of walk reports saved in my personal blog that could be set to public and attached to Humps, Tumps and more but i've kept as private since this site isn't (or wasn't) about bagging and logging every little thing you've climbed, I get that elsewhere and in better detail. I still do a walk report for these smaller hill classes but only because the other websites I log them on don't provide this facility and it's mainly for me to re-live a walk i've done, or for others to find and use for info if climbing smaller classes of hills interests them.

Despite being happy to go up any size of hill I don't see myself as a bagger, more a walker, scrambler or explorer but at the end of the day I use these websites as logs of where I have been and what I have climbed and the term bagging just doesn't suit Walkhighlands - walking, hiking and exploring hills and islands is what I expect here, not bagging.

So when can we expect to be able to log all of the following on the website? :wink:

Marilyn
Marilyn twin-top
Hump
Hump twin-top
Tump (all)
Simm
Dodd
Munro
Munro Top
Furth
Corbett
Graham
Donald
Donald Top
Hewitt
Nuttall
Dewey
Donald Dewey
Highland Five
400-499m hill
300-399m hill
200-299m hill
100-199m hill
0-99m hill
Wainwright
Wainwright Outlying Fell
Birkett
Synge
Fellranger
Historic County Top (pre-1974)
Administrative County Top (1974 to mid-1990s)
Current County/UA Top
London Borough Top
SIB
Submarilyn
Subhump
Subsimm
Subdodd
Sub490-499m
Murdo
Corbett Top
Graham Top
New Donald
Buxton & Lewis
Bridge
Yeaman
Clem
Trail 100
Deleted Munro Top
Deleted Corbett
Deleted Graham
Deleted Nuttall
Deleted Donald Top
Other lists
Unclassified
P500m Peaks

Time to update the website tagline too perhaps?

Bag the real Scotland... one balloon at a time

:D

A word of warning, better get some more memory installed on your servers for every time a user loads up their all UK Tumps map! :shock: :lol:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi Paul. Any reason you omitted Seaforth Island in Lewis? Maybe the river hasn't become totally saline where it is situated, but seaweed grows all round it. I rather fancy picking up some of the islands we have missed, but am afraid it might lead to something even more hardore, like trigpointing.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Anne C » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:04 pm

What a great looking book! :clap: :clap:
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback