walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Full Aonach Eagach traverse with high camp - Devil to Pap

Full Aonach Eagach traverse with high camp - Devil to Pap

Postby HappyHillGoer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 16/04/2019

Time taken: 18 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1500m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My desire to walk the Aonach Eagach Ridge in full I think started when I saw the ridge in much of its entirety last summer from far away to the north east on Ben Alder. Strangely it was only then that it became apparent to me how the ridge itself stretches as far as the Devil's staircase, albeit the famous 'notched' part being of course only a certain portion of that.

I thought it would be great fun to do the full traverse of the Aonach Eagach Ridge (though I note this definition is my own and is debatable) - Devil's Staircase to Pap of Glencoe - with a high level bivvy just to the east of Am Bodach, which as you'll likely know is the standard starting point of the main ridge section.

So one fine April afternoon I set off from Glasgow on the very handy CityLink bus and was deposited at Glencoe ski centre at around about 5pm. I made my way briskly to the foot of the Devil's Staircase and struck off west onto the first wee hill that one might consider to constitute the start of the full Aonach Eagach ridge - Stob Mhic Mhartuin.

Looking back down the Devil's Staircase before turning west onto the start of the 'soft part' of the Aonach Eagach ridge

It was a fine evening as I progressed along the ridge, slowly gaining in elevation until I reached the last summit before Am Bodach - Sron Gharbh.

It's a lovely stretch of lonely ridge between the Devil's staircase and Am Bodach, here looking over to Bidean Nam Bian

Vital water resupply for the high level camp that evening and ridge to come the following morning

Looking onward to the start of the Aonach Eagach ridge proper and (slightly before that) the high camp spot for the night (right side of view)

On Sron Gharbh I settled down for the night in my bivvy bag with a hazy sunset settling over Ardgour. The start of the main ridge section was tantalisingly close in view. The night was beautiful and absolutely freezing! I feel I learnt a lesson that night that when bivvying in spring at high altitude I'd benefit from a proper winter sleeping bag. It felt like I was under that bright full moon for 12 hours rather than the actual 6 such was the chill! I'm a real wimp :lol:

Looking onto the start of the Aonach Eagach ridge proper from my bivvy spot, showing Am Bodach to the first Munro, Meal Dearg

Evening reading

Shortly before daybreak

I awoke at 5 30 a.m. to find the sun poised to rise behind me and the moon in the process of dipping behind Bidean Nam Bian on the south side of the Glen. I made my way excitedly up to the summit of Am Bodach and with a huge sense of thrill, and began the awkward but enjoyable descent west down onto the main ridge section. Just requires care.

Start of the descent off Am Bodach

A wee zigzag in the lower part of the Am Bodach descent

Narrow traverse to finish the Am Bodach descent. It's perfectly fine in person if you take it slow and carefully - not to be hurried!

Looking back at the descent route off Am Bodach - route is roughly down a bit from centre left, then diagonally right then diagonally left

Conditions that morning were outstandingly beautiful and I found myself all alone with the birds who were slowly stirring from their sleep as I moved west along the Ridge. Crikey I was so excited. The main section of the ridge really is tremendously entertaining, providing a thrilling sense of exposure at some stages and generally inducing a feeling of magnificent circumstance.

Not much snow on the ridge, mainly a few soft patches early on between Am Bodach and Meall Dearg

Looking west from Meall Dearg along the main 'notched' part of the Aonach Eagach ridge; Stob Core Leith is the first main summit in view (marking the end of the real scrambling) and the 2nd Munro, Sgorr nam Fiannaidh is the next peak beyond that

A fun, true Grade 2 scrambling chimney shortly after descending from Meall Dearg

Typical of much of the main Aonach Eagach ridge section - very enjoyable, narrow ups and downs

Bidean Nam Bian looked great all morning

Quite frequently you come across some wonderful little stretches of scrambling which tantalisingly rise and disappear over a short horizon, leaving you excited to see where you'll end up

Always best to stick to the crest on the ridge I feel/felt. Invariably safer in my opinion

Looking back to Meall Dearg (sun above it) and Am Bodach further behind

Things really start to gear up about halfway between Meall Dearg and Stob Coire Leith - here shortly before reaching the so-called 'crazy pinnacles', which I was very excited to see and get onto!

A delightfully narrow, short section between Meall Dearg and Stob Coire Leith

Technically I think the SMC assignment of 'grade 2 scramble' is appropriate though there are occasions I feel where the safer move is arguably to stay right on the crest rather than to attempt to sidle around a difficulty. These occasions, although safer, can be closer to grade 3 scrambling I think. I feel this is particularly true at the steep wall section immediately after the two crazy pinnacles.

Sitting very happily atop the 1st of the 2 'crazy pinnacles'

Looking over to the 2nd pinnacle from atop the 1st one

The rather high exposure experienced at and around the 'crazy pinnacles' section of the ridge

Coming off the 2nd pinnacle you're faced with a choice; to take a narrow path over to the right of a fairly steep wall, or to rise directly over the wall. I judged the direct route to be the safer of the two, though this conclusion would require one's comfort with Moderate solo climbing I feel

One of the ridge's most interesting sections I think is a descent you make shortly after leaving the 'crazy pinnacles' section; here looking back at said descent. Similarly as for the descent off Am Bodach, it should be fine if you approach it carefully and without haste

I loved this little section - here you drop slowly down to the right, cross the short 'bridge', then head up and right then sharply back left. It's perhaps slightly easier/more bearable than it looks, though I wouldn't be inclined to dispute any suggestion that this section constitutes Grade 3 scrambling, if not mostly owing to high exposure levels

The above mentioned section in closer detail

The real scrambling ends when you reach Stob Coire Leith and it was a pleasant walk up to the second Munro of the ridge. Looking back from Sgorr nam Fiannaidh (and shortly before there) you can get some exceptional views back along the ridge, as far as Am Bodach - the beginning of the Aonach Eagach ridge proper (if traversing from east to west)

I headed north west down to the Pap of Glencoe to end the full ridge line traverse, where I enjoyed some cracking views up to kinlochleven and onto the Mamores in the late morning sun. Incidentally the Pap itself has some good fun, though intermittent, easy scrambling to the left of the main path to the summit - worth a bash if you're looking for some added fun.

Looking west off the summit of Sgorr nam Fiannaidh - it's a mostly gently sloped but rocky (i.e. small boulders) drop down to the col below the Pap of Glencoe

Heading down to the Pap to finish the full ridge traverse ('full' again being according to my own humble definition - Devil's Staircase to the Pap)

There's a fair amount of scrambly fun to be had up the last 50 or so meters of the Pap - a nice surprise!

I took the obvious next step of descending southwest down the Pap and straight along the road to the Clachaig Inn just in time for a midday lunch order and a refreshing pint of beer.

Down in pursuit of beer I go

This was quite simply one of the best couple of days in the mountains I've ever had! I quite fancy doing a full repeat in the reverse Direction at some point in the future.

Many thanks for reading
HappyHillGoer
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

HappyHillGoer
Stravaiging

Munros:83   

Re: Full Aonach Eagach traverse with high camp - Devil to Pa

Postby iainR » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Really enjoyed reading that , fantastic pictures, cheers!
iainR
Walker

Munros:78   Corbetts:30
Fionas:26   Donalds:62
Sub 2000:21   

Postby HappyHillGoer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Cheers, Iain thanks very kind!
HappyHillGoer
Stravaiging

Postby steviesea » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Another cracking report there with excellent photos. Love the extended route to the ridge.
Noticing a pattern here in that your routes always finish at the Clachaig Inn :lol:
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:87   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Hewitts:42

Postby HappyHillGoer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Haha cheers very much, you got me! :lol: Thanks again
HappyHillGoer
Stravaiging

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Bloody brave to bivouac in April. :clap: :clap: At that sort of height it can be absolutely freezing at around 4.00am even in mid June - :( :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby HappyHillGoer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:26 pm

I now know how right you are! :lol: (about the cold that is)
HappyHillGoer
Stravaiging

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:01 pm

Cracking report and a great concept. :clap: :clap: You got some superb shots of the ridge, showing just how spectacular it is. I've also toyed with the idea of an AE 'greater traverse', possibly starting from Kinlochleven and using a bike to get back. Finishing at the Clachaig has a definite appeal though! :lol:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby aaquater » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Wonderful report - you're brave for even thinking about sleeping outside that high up with the snow still around! That faint path to the right - not taking it was probably the right decision; when I went, that was the only place where I had half a mind to turn back. Combined with another sensible choice to continue along the ridge towards the Pap; the official path drops painfully low below the col!
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:18

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:50 pm

dav2930 wrote:Cracking report and a great concept. :clap: :clap: You got some superb shots of the ridge, showing just how spectacular it is. I've also toyed with the idea of an AE 'greater traverse', possibly starting from Kinlochleven and using a bike to get back. Finishing at the Clachaig has a definite appeal though! :lol:

The direct descent to Achtriochtan is unbelievably steep and hard on the knees - mine were wrecked :lol: Going to the col before the the Pap and walking back to the Clachaig is definitelky preferable (IMO) :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland