walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

30,50,60 on the in pin

30,50,60 on the in pin

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 08/08/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 1130m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

2 small words "in pin",3 years ago these 2 words meant nothing to me at all,but since I took up hillwalking,and started to read and learn more and more about "munro bagging*,and hillwalking in general,the very thought that one day I would eventually have to climb this if I wanted to do all 283 munro" would send a shiver down my spine,and break my head and hands out in a cold sweat.
Anyway 3 years later here I am on the night of fri 6th aug on Skye at the Old Inn Carbost with" alan s" and "JB likes a beer",the reason we are here is 2 fold no 1 to celebrate my son-in laws (alan s) 30th birthday and no 2 climb the "in pin" as mine and my lassie (Lisa) 30th birthday present to him,it would also be my 50th munro and "JB likes a beer" 60th munro (hence the heading)
mixed 001.jpg
Loch Hairport from behind Old Inn Carbost
mixed 003.jpg
Loch Harport

After the long drive up to Skye we had a few beers and a crackin meal and then early to bed to relax and get ready for the climb on the in pin on sat 7th alans birthday,early to bed(i right never slept a wink,hyperventilating,cold sweats,hot flushes,nightmares,had the lot,in pin what am i doing).Up and ready early(v early) for breakfast,and try and force some toast down me without throwing up,and then wait for our guide (Paddy McGuire)to arrive,and take photo of alan "s with his nice wee badge on
mixed 005.jpg
Happy birthday
Before I go any further Paddy McGuire our guide,brilliant,superb,amazing,will always grateful to him without him none of this would be possible many,many thanks.Picked up at Cabost at 9am,and 20 min later all geared up and ready for the 2 hr walk up tp Sgurr Dearg,where we get our 1st view of the cullin ridge
mixed 006.jpg
Cullin Ridge
,Once we start walking you gain height quite quickly,and get some nice views over to Sgurr Alisdair
mixed 010.jpg
Sgurr Alisdair
after a hour or so gammy leg walker takes up his usual position on the climb
mixed 011.jpg
wait for me
Once I got my 2nd wind and caught up,the next hour is brill with some nice easy grade one scrambling,on loose scree,wee chimneys and some v mild exposure,when suddenly out of all the mist this appears :sick:
mixed 012.jpg
In Pin bloody hell

The next hour or so is just a blur,trying to take in the scale of what confronts me,alan"s and JB likes a beer,this is when Paddy comes into his element,we gear up at the top of the ridge before the descent to the base of the"in pin"and rope up,Paddy explains cool and calm what he wants us to do and ,this takes 10/15 min :sick: I now just want to get this over with,Paddy ask who wants to go 1st ,it needs to be me,so forward I step :sick: :sick: 3/4 words to me and then of Paddy goes,and makes it look so simple,5 min later ok Willie up you come :sick: :sick: :sick: the 1st 5/6 moves seam fine
s15.JPG
no going back now
next is me,alan"s and JB likes a beer 1/2 way up
SAM_0536.JPG
not a happy man
next pic not so clear,you can just see me at the start of the 2nd pitch :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
s14.JPG
now the crux
now the crux,the stat of 2nd pitch means you now need to climb out onto the small arete which is only 12/13 inches wide :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: wher you then climb steeply,but quickly onto the wider summit area :) :) and now comes the summit pic
mixed 013.jpg
do we feel good
it probably took about 30 min for the 3 of us to reach the top,and now feel 8) 8) 8) once Paddy sorts us out the ab-sail is next :shock: :shock: how bad a feeling is this,Paddy"s words(willie i want you to now turn round and walk backwards to the edge of the face and then plant your feet,and lean back till I tell you to stop :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: bloody hell what a laxative this is
s19.JPG
are you sure about this paddy
1st time ive ab-sailed but once I got going found this quite enjoyable and before to long my feet were back on solid ground :lol: :lol: once I had got myself sorted managed to get a pic of alan"s and JB likes a beer ready for their turn
mixed 014.jpg
your turn boys
mixed 015.jpg
JB at the base
Now it hits me to what we have done and try and get some pics of the "in pin" as the mist clears a little
mixed 016.jpg
job done
mixed 018.jpg
been there done that
now time for a well errand rest and some lunch before we start back down to the car,on the way down tried to get some pics hope you like them
mixed 017.jpg
from sgurr derag
on the way down I now start to reflect on the enormity of what"s just happened and find it hard to take it all in,some of you may find this report ott,but from my perspective this was something way beyond my wildest dreams,2/3 more pics on way down
mixed 008.jpg
over to Muck and Eigg
mixed 020.jpg
nice wee waterfall
mixed 021.jpg
and again
find the 2 hr walk back to the car no problem whatsoever (wonder why) and in no time we are back in Carbost saying thanks once again to Paddy,then a quick shower,and let"s party
mixed 026.jpg
time to party
had our dinner booked for 7.30 pm,so had a few beers to chill out,and then one last small surprise for alan"
mixed 029.jpg
gotcha
managed to get the whole pub to sing "happy birthday" to alan"s,even the Dutch,French and Italian people present in the bar :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Sunday was our last day on Skye(must be my favourite place on earth),drove down to the Sligachan Hotel and got some more pics of The Cullin"s
mixed 038.jpg
from l/r Sgurr nan Gillean,Am Bastier,Bruach na Frithe
mixed 036.jpg
Marsco
mixed 039.jpg
from l/r Sgurr nan Gillean,Am Bastier and tooth,Bruach na Frithe
brilliant end to a brilliant 2 days on Skye,can"t wait till we all get back and try and climb more of the Cullin Ridge,and will most certainly use Paddy McGuire for any more guiding we may require when we return.PS I hope this report does not ramble on to much for people to read,enjoy.PPS I hope this report compliments alan"s repot
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: 30,50,60 on the in pin

Postby Alan S » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 pm

Great report mate
Hey i said no pictures of that badge :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:48 am

Good stuff gammy leg! Nice report and excellent wee pictorial montage! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:12 am

Alan,no way was I was showing you with your badge,like I said I let you post your report 1st
Hi Graeme glad you liked my pictorial of our weekend away,if you use Paddy you will not be disapointed
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby MacCookie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:48 am

gammy leg walker wrote:
mixed 038.jpg
mixed 039.jpg

Just to be pedantic, the peak on the right is Sgurr a'Bhasteir. Bruach na Frithe isn't visible from Sligachan - you need to drive along the Drynock road for a few miles before Bruach na Frithe comes into view.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maccookie/3596166246/ - Bruach na Frithe on the far right.

Cheers,
Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:02 pm

MacCookie I stand corrected many thanks
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:29 pm

excellent couple of reports from alans and gammy leg - so helpful to see that my fear and panic will be justified when my In Pinn time comes
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:54 pm

scotjamie,if I can climb the in pin anyone can :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Mrs T » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the report! Shivering, sweating, spaghetti legs, a racing heart, that's what I get just thinking about In Pin. You've given me a tiny bit of hope that maybe, just maybe, I might be able to have a go at it one day and survive...
Mrs T
Munro compleatist

Munros:246   Corbetts:17
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Mrs T do what we did get a guide,they are worth the cost and go for it :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:03 pm

Great report...but im still scared stiff to do it...
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Sparra Legs » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Good report GLW,
Lol could you not crack a smile in your summit photo.
Sparra Legs
Stravaiging

Munros:146   

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:22 pm

MT its all about mind over matter,if I can do it you can to :)

Sparra legs,2 smiles out of 3 aint bad :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:37 pm

well done, i always think if i was to do all the munros this would be my last :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby Mrs T » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:17 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Mrs T do what we did get a guide,they are worth the cost and go for it :lol:

Wouldn't even dream of trying it without one! But am afraid that despite that I'll still freeze at some point. I still prefer the tactic of walking there, fainting at the sight of it, being hauled up the steep side when unconcious, opening my eyes for a couple of seconds (so I can say I've been to the top) before fainting again and being lowered back down...
Mrs T
Munro compleatist

Munros:246   Corbetts:17
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:12

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland