walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

To and from Stuc a' Chroin, in Each direction.

To and from Stuc a' Chroin, in Each direction.

Postby martin.h » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stùc a' Chròin

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Each

Date walked: 26/07/2019

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1576m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stuc a' Chroin has been one of those "must do" Munros ever since we decided not to include it on a very wet day out in 2013, by the time we reached the top of Ben Vorlich we'd had enough and decided to leave the Stuc for another day.

Since then we've toyed with the idea to stop off and do it on the way as we travelled further north then deciding not to bother because of the time it would take and me not having the enthusiasm after driving 250 odd miles :lol:

I started to look for ways to do Stuc a' Chroin without the drive round to Ardvorlich and realised that quite a few people on Walkhighlands had included Beinn Each in their routes, now that seemed a good idea, not only would we get our Munro, we'd also gain a new Corbett in the process which would be good because we don't have many of those :roll: :lol:

That's decided then, all we had to do was put the plan into action, with our long weekend in Stirling coming up that plan was coming together, it was a toss up between this or the Victoria Bridge Munros, if the weather forecast was good it was Victoria Bridge, if a bit iffy then we'd do this, either way, it was all new to us :D

The forecast favoured central Scotland so the Stuc was finally going to turn blue :D

We parked in the large layby on the A84 just by Ardchullarie More, got the boots on and set off up the driveway to the farm. There was a bit of forestry work going on so the path had been partly eradicated, it looked like trees had been dragged down the hillside and debris had been pushed over the path, it becomes the path again just as the ford over the burn at NN586139 is reached.

The walk through the trees was warm and humid so that sapped the energy a bit :roll:(no pun intended :lol: ) once out of the trees and in the open there was a very welcome breeze and we managed to increase the pace slightly :D We were hoping the weather would improve a bit, the forecast was right so far.

ImageDSC03616 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03617 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

The little fingerpost directing us up Beinn Each was soon reached.

ImageDSC03615 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

This must be one of the most photographed fingerposts in Scotland, I've seen it on several websites indicating the
way to Beinn Each (or Ben Each as the sign suggests :lol: )

The path goes through dense ferns to start with which thin out as it steepens, There's one or two relatively sedate sections as you gain height, which help, the views get better so the camera comes out (any excuse for a rest :lol: ) and soon the summit is reached :D

ImageDSC03621 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

The clouds were just brushing the summit, ushered along by the strong breeze, we did get some views but Stuc a' Chroin was completely covered, it did seem to be getting brighter so, with a bit of luck, the clouds might lift as we travel along the ridge.

ImageDSC03623 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03622 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03624 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

There's a well worn path along the ridge, following a line of fence posts, it went around the nobbles on the ridge rather than over them so that made progress that bit easier, as time went on the clouds got higher, every now and again we could make out the summit area of Stuc a' Chroin

ImageDSC03625 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

When we arrived at the top of the descent into Bealach Glas the Stuc cleared completely and stayed that way.

Looking at the ascent to the summit from Bealach Glas I thought it was going to be a bit of a slog, thankfully it wasn't too bad,

Getting closer

ImageDSC03628 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Looking back

ImageDSC03629 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

We were soon on the top. The clouds were above all the summits now so we had some decent views, especially of Ben Vorlich.

ImageDSC03631 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03635 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03639 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03636 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03637 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03642 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageStuc a' Chroin Pano by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

We had a break and a bite to eat then went over to the top of The Prow to get the views from there, they were pretty good too :D The wind had increased so we didn't stop too long, we set off to go down.

ImageDSC03644 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03645 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

My plan was to go back via part of the ridge and start descending back to the track in Glen Ample beyond the little 706m bump at around NN602162

Beinn Each and the ridge

ImageDSC03646 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

Bealach Glas

ImageDSC03648 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

The further we got along the better the weather became, when we reached the intended descent point we stopped to have a munch, going back over Beinn Each looked like a reasonable alternative to the planned way down and I was keen to get a few photo's of Stuc a' Chroin from the top now is was clear, we ummed and arred, should we, shouldn't we?, the decision was made, yeah go on then, at least we knew there was a good way down from there so we packed up and went for it.

It was no trouble at all really, a bit more ascent, granted, but from our little lunch spot it took 20 mins to reach the top, I managed to a couple reasonable photo's and I don't think it added too much time to the route, I reckon half an hour over all :)

ImageDSC03649 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03650 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

From the top it's an easy descent back to the fingerpost where we stopped a while to allow the thighs to recover :lol:

ImageDSC03652 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

ImageDSC03654 by Martin Hawer, on Flickr

From there it's an easy yomp back to the car.

So, Stuc a' Chroin is finally under our belts, this route is very enjoyable with the option of including Ben Vorlich if you want to, I'm not convinced our way of getting back to the car was the best way, it's a bit tiring, I must admit :lol:
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Re: To and from Stuc a' Chroin, in Each direction.

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:32 pm

Good report!

martin.h wrote:I'm not convinced our way of getting back to the car was the best way, it's a bit tiring, I must admit

It odd that no path seems to have evolved for getting back from SaC in this direction. A couple of options I have done are:

1. Follow the NW ridge, head down into Coire Chroisg, climb the fence and descend the gap in the forestry alongside the burn to reach the track.

2. Retrace steps to the Bealach Glas, and carry straight on west via a shallow gully and aim for the track past the corner of the forestry.

Both ways are a bit rough and heathery in places.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:30 pm

Nice way to do Stuc. The giant highway up (the not very exciting) Glen Vorlich is a bit depressing (IMO) :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby prog99 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:35 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Nice way to do Stuc. The giant highway up (the not very exciting) Glen Vorlich is a bit depressing (IMO) :lol:

Its good (if longer) from Glen Artney to get onto Vorlich. You can sneak up on folk at the summit that way too. It also makes the triple into a decent circuit.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:43 pm

A longer but even better route (IMHO) is the round of Stuc a'Chroin and Beinn Each from Braeleny. A recent hydro scheme has had the benefit of providing new bridges which eliminate the former river crossing hazards.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 pm

jmarkb wrote:A longer but even better route (IMHO) is the round of Stuc a'Chroin and Beinn Each from Braeleny. A recent hydro scheme has had the benefit of providing new bridges which eliminate the former river crossing hazards.

Or, if you have transport back, carry on from Vorlich over Meall na Fearna and descend by the Fin Glen. (16km 1530m ascent). A to B walks are so much more satisfying - but you need helpful friends :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby martin.h » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Thanks for the replies folks, there's some interesting suggestions that we may explore at some point.

jmarkb
I agree with you, re a path evolving, it's strange in these days of collecting munros that one hasn't. I was looking at the possibility of descending from Bealach Glas but was put off by a couple of guys we spoke to who said it was a bit iffy, i.e steep heather and crags and it takes time to work around them, I think we'll chance it next time :D

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Yorjick » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Clever title!

Beinn Each is included in the outward route of the Stuc a'Chroin 5000' hill race ran in early May.

Route-Map-Whole.jpg
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby martin.h » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:46 pm

Yorjick wrote:Clever title!

Beinn Each is included in the outward route of the Stuc a'Chroin 5000' hill race ran in early May.

Route-Map-Whole.jpg

Hi Yorjick,

We had a little look down the slopes from Bealach nan Caber and were a bit unsure what it was like further down, that's when we decided to go back over Beinn Each, we'll know it's ok next time we're up there :D

Cheers
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland