walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Which way would you go

Which way would you go

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:12 pm

Wee bit info/help required if possible please,next weekend I am heading for the 3 Munro"s behind Alltbeithe Youth Hostel with a choice of 2 access points,having already ruled out the walk in from Cluanie,would you recommend walking in from Morvich on the Kintail/Glen Affric Way,or from the parking area at the road end in Glen Affric,both routes look similar in distance,the Morvich route looks more scenic,and as a wee side issue,if going from Glen Affric the parking is pay & display and would people pay for 1-2-3 days.
Thanks GLW
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Which way would you go

Postby prog99 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:47 pm

I'd cycle in from Glen Affric its predominantly flat. Morvich is very scenic but does involve gaining then losing height.

I've walked in from Cluanie and never again!

Another option is to come in from Iron Lodge? Assume your camping or staying at the hostel?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:56 pm

prog99 wrote:I'd cycle in from Glen Affric its predominantly flat. Morvich is very scenic but does involve gaining then losing height.

I've walked in from Cluanie and never again!

Another option is to come in from Iron Lodge? Assume your camping or staying at the hostel?

Staying at the hostle, cycling is not an option I'm afraid as one of the party can't go a bike :lol: :lol:

I'm favouring Morvich ATM as I've already walked some of the way in from Glen Affric
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisButch » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:07 pm

Affric currently a mess because of hydro works anyway..
ChrisButch

Postby Landsoul » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:14 pm

ChrisButch wrote:Affric currently a mess because of hydro works anyway..

They've finished and tidied up the mess, it is starting to recover now.

And you don't have to 'pay and display' 🙄
Landsoul

Munros:282   

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:15 pm

Ay up Gammy. Personally if i was to head in there again it would most definitely be from the Morvich end. I know it's slightly longer than from the Affric end but not too much. The main reason though is simply because i find the track from Affric to Strawberry Cottage a bit soul destroying with all the work that's gone on down there. Also if you go in from Morvich you've got 2 route options either side of Fhada so you could make it a bit of a loop if you were feeling like it. Always fancied the hostel at Altbeithe but never got round to staying. Now i wonder who it is that 'can't go a bike'? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Coop » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:23 pm

I'll look out for your report as I'm up there the 1st weekend September- going in from Glen Affric
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 pm

Landsoul wrote:

I was in the Glen Affric carpark 2 weekends ago and I definitely paid for parking :shock: :shock:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:43 pm

Some of us cycled /walked from Affic to Strawberry Cottage recently and found it was a very good going track and not soul destroying,in fact I never noticed that any hydro work had taken place.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:44 pm

Morecambe Monkey wrote:Ay up Gammy. Personally if i was to head in there again it would most definitely be from the Morvich end. I know it's slightly longer than from the Affric end but not too much. The main reason though is simply because i find the track from Affric to Strawberry Cottage a bit soul destroying with all the work that's gone on down there. Also if you go in from Morvich you've got 2 route options either side of Fhada so you could make it a bit of a loop if you were feeling like it. Always fancied the hostel at Altbeithe but never got round to staying. Now i wonder who it is that 'can't go a bike'? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers MM, I'm leaning towards Morvich way,won't be doing any loop TBH,as for who can't go a bike.............I couldn't possibly say. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:47 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:Some of us cycled /walked from Affic to Strawberry Cottage recently and found it was a very good going track and not soul destroying,in fact I never noticed that any hydro work had taken place.

Most of the hydro work I've seen is before Chisholme Bridge on the right hand side before you cross the bridge,re cycling see my previous post :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Morecambe Monkey » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
Morecambe Monkey wrote:Ay up Gammy. Personally if i was to head in there again it would most definitely be from the Morvich end. I know it's slightly longer than from the Affric end but not too much. The main reason though is simply because i find the track from Affric to Strawberry Cottage a bit soul destroying with all the work that's gone on down there. Also if you go in from Morvich you've got 2 route options either side of Fhada so you could make it a bit of a loop if you were feeling like it. Always fancied the hostel at Altbeithe but never got round to staying. Now i wonder who it is that 'can't go a bike'? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers MM, I'm leaning towards Morvich way,won't be doing any loop TBH,as for who can't go a bike.............I couldn't possibly say. :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

But if you did the loop,you could catch the Corbett Sgurr Gaosaich on the way out. You know you want to really. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Morecambe Monkey
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:43   Donalds:40
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:143
Wainwrights:214   Islands:28

Postby Landsoul » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:24 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
Landsoul wrote:

I was in the Glen Affric carpark 2 weekends ago and I definitely paid for parking :shock: :shock:

Paying isn't required is what I mean.

The hydro have done a fantastic job of tidying up after their necessary work they carried out there.
Landsoul

Munros:282   

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:26 pm

Morecambe Monkey wrote:
gammy leg walker wrote:

But if you did the loop,you could catch the Corbett Sgurr Gaosaich on the way out. You know you want to really. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now don't be starting that discussion :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Grahame37 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:33 pm

Did those three earlier this month, albeit as a long day walk, and came in from Morvich through the Bealach an Sgairnie to the youth hostel. Good path down to Loch a' Bhealaich then boggy in parts from there to the YH although nothing on the Cluanie way in apparently.

Two reasons for choosing this way were I'd done Sgurr Gaorsaic before (well worth adding as Morecambe Monkey suggests) so knew part of the route and then coming off Sgurr nan Ceathramhnan west top shortened the walk back.
Grahame37

Munros:268   Corbetts:159
Donalds:4

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion