walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crippling off of Cairngorms in total darkness

Crippling off of Cairngorms in total darkness

Postby Karen1989 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 07/08/2018

Time taken: 15 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We started off our adventure at Linn of Dee car park early doors, aware of the long walk ahead of us to reach the bottom of Carn a'Mhaim.

As we walked along the excellent path running by the Glen Lui river we heard a bell from a bicycle behind us and after a quick chat it transpired we were both heading for the same mountain. On the bike was Tom, a very friendly, experienced hill walker from England :) , we continued walking past the Derry Lodge and eventually reached the bottom of Carn a'Mhaim where Tom was getting ready to climb.

He asked if we would like to walk with him to the summit of Carn a'Mhaim and we were only too happy to walk with him :D

It didn't take too long to reach the summit of Carn a' Mhaim and to the left of us we could see super views of the Devil's point, Cairn Toul, Braeriach and the LaIrig Ghru - I was amazed at the view! :o

IMG_5598.JPG
Summit of Carn a 'Mhaim - Alan and Tom

IMG_5603.JPG
Views

After taking in the spectacular views we told Tom that we were heading for Derry Cairngorm next and he said that he was going to walk there too. We walked down the other side of Carn a' Mhaim and across to Derry Cairngorm.

The top of Derry Cairngorm is very rocky

IMG_5609.JPG
The summit of Derry Cairngorm

IMG_5616.JPG
Alan on the summit of Derry Cairngorm

It was here that Tom decided to head back to the car park but took our number and promised to let us know when he got back home safely. :)

We retraced our steps back to the path and headed for our 3rd munro of the day - Beinn Mheadhoin.

IMG_5618.JPG
Alan with Loch Etchachan in the background

It was a quite a steep ascent up Beinn Mheadhoin but worth it to get to the spectacular summit that awaited us :D

IMG_5627.JPG
Summit of Beinn Mheadhoin

We then had the difficult descent off of Beinn Mheadhoin followed by a very tiring climb up to our fourth munro of the day - Beinn a'Chaorainn, we were literally on our hands and knees, lying on the hill at times when we were exhausted :lol: :lol: :lol:

We eventually reached the summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn but didn't stay too long as it was starting to get a bit colder at the top.

IMG_5646.JPG
The summit of Beinn a'Chaorainn with Beinn Mheadhoin in the background

Beinn Bhreac didn't look too far away however looks can be deceiving as we discovered!!! :shock:

We started what we thought would be an easy trek over to the summit of Beinn Bhreac however it ended up taking forever and a day to get across to it with soft, wet and squidgy ground. This is where my knees decided to pack up for the day! :shock: and every step from then on in was painful however we eventually reached the summit :)

IMG_5653.JPG
Alan on the summit of Beinn Bhreac

It was late when we started to descend Bein Bhreac and I was very aware that the sun was going down rapidly! :crazy:

My knees felt like they had no cartilage left in them and therefore I sat down and started rolling myself down the hill :lol:, Alan wondered off in front of me to try and identify the path before the last light went, I was quite worried at this point but didn't want to say this to Alan as I thought it would worry him! :shock:

We eventually hit the path where it was more flat and I could eventually stand up, Alan acted as my crutch as I crippled off of the hillside in pitch black darkness :shock:

We were so relieved to have found the path :)

Eventually we reached Derry Lodge but were completely confused as to which direction we required to go to return to the Linn of Dee car park - Alan pointed one way (which was the wrong way) and we started to walk in this direction for a short period of time however we bumped into a gentleman who had decided to call off camping on Carn a'Mhaim summit because it was too windy who put us back on the correct path! Very thankful to this man! :clap:

After a long walk back along the path we finally reached the car and our adventure had finally finished!
Karen1989
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Crippling off of Cairngorms in total darkness

Postby Sgurr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:21 am

That is a monster walk. Well done. Hope your knee is recovering it sounds really painful....maybe walking poles next time? Husband finds them really helpful with his sore knee. Short map reading refresher course in order? It would have been the last straw to get yourselves lost in the walk back to the car park.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Crippling off of Cairngorms in total darkness

Postby Karen1989 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:31 am

:lol: :lol: yes it was a very long but enjoyable day (for the most part :lol: ), I think your right we would definitely benefit from a map reading course and poles would soften the impact when descending :D. Some of the views in the heart of the Cairngorms are amazing :o
Karen1989
Munro compleatist

Munros:46   
Sub 2000:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland