walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Mairg Circuit

Carn Mairg Circuit

Postby Grisu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:34 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 18/07/2019

Time taken: 7.03 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1322m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I set off in heavy rain from Killin trusting the weather forecast that it will stop soon and that only another hour of dark clouds and heavy showers are likely during the walk. When I turned into the road to Inverar the rain stopped and the sun came out. :D
The start of the walk was well signed so I didn't struggle with the usual confusion at the beginning.
01 Collagge Eingang690px.jpg
pictures of the start

On my way up I saw a little sheep trying to get through a gap of a fence to its mother which was on the other side, I stopped it but I couldn't help the mother. The whole herd made a lot of noise and came down to look for the lost sheep - it was really touching.
02 Collage Schafe690.jpg
sheep drama

04 DSC01971scottish intersectionphp630.jpg
scottish intersection

DSC01968php960px.jpg
the awkward bridge

DSC01975php690px.jpg
nice views during my walk up to Càrn Gorm

I was very confident that the weather forecast would be reliable and so I was not surprised to see the dark clouds coming short before the summit of Carn Gorm where I met the rain almost on time.
But reaching the first summit mist appeared suddenly and blocked all stunning views around ...
05 DSC01979phpCarn Gorm690px.jpg
Carn Gorm

Down the bealach the misty fog fragmented and lifted in parts but it still was raining and a strong wind was pushing me upwards now. On top of Meall Garbh I only took a picture of the de corated cairn because the weather had become very unpleasant meanwhile.
06 DSC01984php Meall Garbh690px.jpg
decorated cairn on top of Meall Garbh

06bDSC01986phpfollowing the fainter line of fence posts690.jpg
now following the fainter line of fence posts

The rain stopped finally but the wind became stronger. In some places I struggled to keep my balance, most of all when it came from the side, especially on the ridge of Meal a'Bhàrr. At least the sun came out for a little while so that wind and sun dried my clothes.
07 DSC01989 flat and extensive summit of the top of Meall a Bharr php690px.jpg
sunny spells

On top of Carn Mairg I finally had some views and I took a little break although the wind was really unbearble and the noise was nerveracking, somehow weird and a bit scaring.
08 Collage Carn Mairg dritter Summi weiße trennlinien690px.jpg
views around Carn Mairg for a short moment

Suddenly the top was covered in mist and I got a little bit confused about the direction but thanks to my edge 1000 I didn't miss the right turn down to the next bealach.
09 DSC01995 outlook to Meall nan Aighean php690px.jpg
outlook towards the last summit

On top of Meal na Aighean there were no views again, so I said hello to the cairn and started the descent.
10 DSC01999Cairn of Meall nan Aighean fourth php690px.jpg
another cairn in the mist

The way back was long and in parts quite muddy with headwind all the way down and heavy rain again short before I reached the gate at the felled area.
11 #DSC02003 view to the valley wiht river Lyon php690px.jpg
the valley with river lyon ahead

However, I really enjoyed the whole walk, no matter the weather, especially the part between Meall Garbh and Carn Mairg with the sunny spells in between and some views around. It was easy going to the Creag Mhor and the descent was not too struggling.
Now I hope, I'll have the chance to repeat this walk once with better views :wink:
strava5113583362176990934.jpg
Garmin record
Last edited by Grisu on Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Carn Mairg Circuit

Postby dav2930 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Sounds like you had some gnarly conditions up there, but at least you got some good views. Glen Lyon is very beautiful and those four Munros make a fine circuit. A very enjoyable report! :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Carn Mairg Circuit

Postby Grisu » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Thank you for your feedback, @dav2930 🌻
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland