walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wee Bookil - Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh

Wee Bookil - Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh

Postby Strider » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:08 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 23/04/2009

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: Saturday 18th April 2009
Time- 6 Hours ( 1.5 Hrs of Breaks )
Walking - Me and R
Weather- Cloudy Start , Turning Fantastic.

First report and hello ! :oops:

The weather forecasts looked great so we headed out of the smoke on Friday determined to get some fresh air in our lungs and a first memorable trip into the hills of Glencoe. Passed through Glencoe on our way North to Onich on Friday for a reccy of the following days target , not a cloud in the sky, looking good for our walk on Saturday. :)

We were up early ish the following morning and on the hill by 8:30 and set out from the carpark facing the new big fancy “beehive “ cairn on the A82. The weather conditions were great for walking , cool but overcast with the odd glimpse of blue and the cloud hanging around the summits......again . :?

At this point I should mention that my last six hills have been up in the cloud with no views to mention sometimes in fairly atrocious conditions...very disappointing for a Rookie ... so I had both fingers crossed in hope of getting a view today !? :roll:

Glimpses of promise ?

Or Maybe Not ?

Followed the path from the car park into Allt Lairig Eilde looking for the split in the path to the left heading south eastish, we couldn’t find any obvious signs of a track at this point so after a quick gps check we got back on our way, once you are higher up the trodden grass ‘path’ is more visibly obvious at lower level but easily missed at low level ( on our decent we noted a large round piece of quartz at the bottom with some loose stones , we added some to form a little cairn for others ). :idea:

We tracked diagonally up the hill and came across a well prepared path toward Mam Buidhe then headed for Stob Coire Raineach up the boulder track straight into the cloud ! The higher we climbed toward the summit the more of a blueish tinge was showing through the mist so I was still optimistic. The climb up to the summit was ok through the rock , the path fairly easy to pick out most of the way up.

At the top it was looking as if it was clearing and we thought we were getting a wee inversion at one point.

Cloud Inversion ?? Some other peaks poking through, but never really cleared.

We hung around for over a half hour hoping it would clear but not today ...so we headed back to Mam Buidhe on our way to Stob Dubh...the cloud was starting to lift a little ...yee ha. :D

Looking back to Stob Coire Raineach.

The climb up to the next false hill top felt steeper over the rocky incline and lead to a nice ridge leading to the next pitch up to the summit of Stob Dubh, weathers improving all the time...happy days . Thye veiws along this stretch were getting better with the improving visibility.

R heading up the incline to the summit

View back toward Stob Coire Raineach

View down Lairig Ailde towards the new bridge on the A82 .

We reached the summit of Stob Dubh , no-one else around and superb conditions, the wait was worth it ..oah yesh!
Summit Stob Dubh with stob coire raineach in the background.

Bidean

Aonach Eagach + Ben

Glen Etive / Loch Etive

The Ben ..Zoom

After a welcome long lunch break at the top for 45 min – hour we tore ourselves away and descended back down over the same path , a memorable day was had by all .

End to a fantastic day .

I have tried to add my track for the day , I use viewranger on my phone and at times it can be a little wonky with the tracks but someone may find it useful ?

Ran out of space and thought I'd add this pano

20090423.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Strider on Fri May 01, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Strider
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Wee Bookil - Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh

Postby maddjock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:50 am

great first report and fantastic looking pics too... 8)
like the sky colours in the last one and the view down glen etive...
maddjock
Hill Bagger

Postby cjwaugh » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 am

Haven't done that one yet done hidden valley and etive more cant wait to do it now though great report Strider :)
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby Alan S » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:50 pm

good first report strider one of my favourite areas but so far only from the road looking up.
i dont think ill manage that area this year but high on my list.
i like the last pic best but i prefer shots with water in them as its what im used to with fishing a lot of these areas
8)

cheers alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby kevsbald » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Excellent stuff. Love the definition on the photos, some of these could be in the next edition of the Munro's!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:38 pm

Really great pics - like the zoom shots. Thanks for uploading your track too - I think it's good to show a little OS map in the walk reports.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Strider » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks guys for the positive comments ...yeh a great day to be filed away to brighten those rainy days, totally stoked with Glencoe and cant wait to get back.

Cheerz.....Rab 8)
Strider
Munro compleatist

Postby yokehead » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:49 pm

A great first report, glad you got some good weather! :D
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Myth » Wed May 06, 2009 10:53 am

Welcome Strider - and what an entry onto the forums!

Lovely photos, great report - looking forward to more. I liked the track as well. Clever. There's a Google app that will take a GPS track, and your photos, and match photos time stamp to GPS track position, producing click-able links - one of my Geographic Information Systems colleagues was telling me about it... once I get a GPS I'll try it out.

I really must take my camera out of the bag more often, but I don't seem to get such clear shots - what make is your camera?
Myth

Postby Strider » Thu May 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks Myth ..

Good wee point and shoot camera - Fuji Finepix F100 , 5x zoom , 12Megapixel, fairly compact ..I would defo recommend it . :wink:
Strider
Munro compleatist

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland