walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Back after 10 years!

Back after 10 years!

Postby Rodds1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Evening Folks,
Seems it’s been 10 years since I was last on the forum....life got in the way I guess.
Dusting down the boots and getting back out there though and keen for my next outing to include a wild camp, probably at Lochnagar as I know the area well and the AM photography could be amazing!
Has anyone camped up there before, any sites you’d recommend?
Thanks,
R
Rodds1

Munros:6   

Re: Back after 10 years!

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 pm

Hi there Rodds , thought I'd reply seeing I'm a Rod :lol: I set off from from Auchallater and pitched my tent near Loch Callater , a fine quiet place. Check out my report on Lochnagar in WH. Enjoy and pick a warmer day to camp than me😂😂
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:44 am

Welcome back, hope the limb/s have grown back after that traumatic amputation all those years ago, never mind, the Mystery Limb soup kept the crew going for weeks.

The Rodmiester wrote:I set off from from Auchallater and pitched my tent near Loch Callater , a fine quiet place.

It depends when you're there. I used to go to Callater a lot and found there were a lot of Germans coming through, on a route through the glen from Loch Muick (I think). It seems the route had featured in a book of hiking routes published in Germany and it attracted a lot of people. So it may not be as secluded as you'd like. Maybe if you go up off the path and pitch a tent amongst the drumlins out of sight from the path. Paddling in Loch Callater is not advised due to the enormous pike.

Callater Pike#2.jpg
Caberfeidh's Callater Pike
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Bothybob » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:45 pm

It's a few years since I have been at Loch Callater but intend walking in to the Stable next week going through to Glen Doll
Last time I visited we were made very welcome by the caretakers of the Lodge Stan and Bill from Aberdeen
I understand that one has unfortunately died can any one tell me which of these two great chaps it was ?
Bothybob

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:22 pm

Bothybob wrote:Last time I visited we were made very welcome by the caretakers of the Lodge Stan and Bill from Aberdeen. I understand that one has unfortunately died can any one tell me which of these two great chaps it was ?

It was Stan who died. Bill Duncan still goes up to the lodge, Stan's widow sometimes goes too. I remember Stan and Bill tried to rescue me the time I was towed around the loch in a wee rubber inflatable dingy by a giant pike. They have also given me shelter and a warm seat by the fire on a chilly night.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Bothybob » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:21 am

I bet yi had a wee swally o Royal Whisky as well
Bothybob

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:05 pm

Bothybob wrote:I bet yi had a wee swally o Royal Whisky as well

Oh yes, you've just reminded me of the hangover the next day...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...