walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Which way would you go

Re: Which way would you go

Postby Backpacker » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:07 am

Having recently just walked through from Glen Affric road end to Morvich, I'd go with Morvich to the YH seeing as you're staying over anyway.

I did the 3 from the road end but that's only because I was biking in and out in a day
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby SummitStupid » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:21 am

Out of interest, why are people funny about the Cluanie approach? Was thinking about heading that way myself soon...
SummitStupid
Munro compleatist

Munros:26   Corbetts:23
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:109
Wainwrights:84   Islands:10

Postby prog99 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:39 am

The good path you start on lures you into a very false sense of security before the peat hags begin. It’s more fun to go out over the two Munros to the east.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:30 pm

I walked in from the Cluanie Inn, did the three munros and back out the same day. I think it was about 11 hours all-in (24 miles-ish and maybe 1600-1800m ascent) so it is a long day but it really isn't as bad as people make out. Yes it was wet but no more so than countless other walks you'll encounter in the Scottish hills, e.g. the walk out from the Fisherfields - now that was tedious.

Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan is a massively underrated mountain and I think next time I'll come in from Iron Lodge and do the tops. I think that rules out An Socach for the same trip but that looks to combine reasonably well with the Carn Eige group.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:46 pm

If you are just planning to stay in the hostel for 1 night, I'd go in from the Cluanie (to reduce the length of the walk before or after the Munros), but if you are staying two nights then I'd recommend the circuit of Bheinn Fhada from Morvich (Gleann Lichd in, Gleann Choinneachain out.

Enjoy!
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:51 am

It used to be if you wheedled with the gamekeepers at the road end you could pick up a key for the gate so you could drive up to just before Strawberry Cottage, then it's only a few miles hike to the Yoof Hostel. Do not be tempted to take your car across the ford, if it rains you wont get it back, maybe not til next summer... p.s. the water courses in Glen Affric seem to be foul, maybe dead sheep and deer lying on the hills, be careful of your water sources. I just realised it's eleven years since I was there. Bugger...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:48 pm

GLW, how did you get on? Did you get the hills done and what way did you opt for? I've been in there a few times recently.
The parking machine was displaying out of use both times at Glen Affric road end and donation parking at Morvich outdoor centre.
The weather didnt look too great for that weekend. :(
Sunset tripper

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:14 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:GLW, how did you get on? Did you get the hills done and what way did you opt for? I've been in there a few times recently.
The parking machine was displaying out of use both times at Glen Affric road end and donation parking at Morvich outdoor centre.
The weather didnt look too great for that weekend. :(

Ended up going from Glen Affric road end

Parking machine still not working

Just over 3 hrs to the hostle Friday night

Just on 10 hrs for the 3 hills on the Saturday

Just over 3 hrs back to the car on the Sunday

As for the weather

Friday dry then a drizzle

Saturday,t shirt weather all day, until the last hour

Sunday wetter than an Otters Pocket
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:50 am

Nice one. A great way to spend a couple of days not including the rainy Sunday. :(
From Glen Affric I cycled to the YH and only did the 2 munros on the ridge above the YH - An Socach and Sgurr na C.
The previous time I was there was about 10 years ago, I had cycled in that time also and had forgot just how poor the track was for cycling after the bridge. I was about 10 hours all in, 3 hours cycling + 7 hours on the 2 hills with a top thrown in. I had done the other munro the last time and wasnt overly impressed with it then and it's a bit of an add on :roll:
I guess I saved about 3 hours on the bike but quite hard work even though my times dont seem great.
I think both approaches are good with some stunning scenery.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby al78 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:01 pm

prog99 wrote:I'd cycle in from Glen Affric its predominantly flat. Morvich is very scenic but does involve gaining then losing height.

I've walked in from Cluanie and never again!

Another option is to come in from Iron Lodge? Assume your camping or staying at the hostel?

Out of interest, what is bad about the walk in from Cluanie? It looks a natural way in on the map.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:42 pm

al78 wrote:
prog99 wrote:I'd cycle in from Glen Affric its predominantly flat. Morvich is very scenic but does involve gaining then losing height.

Another option is to come in from Iron Lodge? Assume your camping or staying at the hostel?

Out of interest, what is bad about the walk in from Cluanie? It looks a natural way in on the map.

The reason is the path at the start only lasts a short time,it turns into bogfest very soon & that's before you hit the peat hags.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:28 am

al78 wrote:

It tends to be very wet even during periods of drier weather. That being said, I have routinely done worse and more tedious walks to get to other hills. It's definitely not that boggy by Scottish standards.

As mentioned above I walked in, did the three munros and out all in the same day which took me about 11 hours. It was a fairly strenuous day and if you're camping anyway then it would make sense to walk in from the west or east as the Affric-Kintail Way is stunning.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion