walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Every day's a school day - practising Welsh on the Carneddau

Every day's a school day - practising Welsh on the Carneddau

Postby Jaxter » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Carnedd Dafydd, Carnedd Llewelyn, Pen yr Helgi Du, Pen yr Ole Wen, Yr Elen

Date walked: 17/08/2019

Time taken: 7.05

Distance: 20.36 km

Ascent: 1491m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Saturday morning dawned bright and clear (and very windy) and Malky had somehow managed to drink a lot of whisky the previous evening and avoid a hangover :lol:
ImageA beautiful morning

ImageMoel Siabod

We had a relatively leisurely breakfast before heading down the road to our start point – boots on and we were off, a few metres down the road before turning off across the burn and past a hostel. We were right underneath Tryfan and it looked impressive 8)
ImageTryfan

ImageY Garn

Given how much rain had fallen the day before I was a bit concerned about the burn crossing so we left the path and cut across to the footbridge marked on the map. It turned out to be a good move
ImageGood job we crossed this early!

There was plenty of bracken but traces of path led us through it without too many problems
ImageLooking back to Tryfan

ImageOur ridge ahead

Just before we crossed the wall we met up with the path from the other side of the burn – slightly better than what we’d followed but at least we had dry feet 8) The path led us up towards our ridge and gave us views of the Ffynnon (welsh for lochan, apparently)
ImageCwm Lloer

Although mostly an easy path there was a wee exciting scrambly bit that was effectively a big rocky step ladder
ImageWee scramble

The views opened out as we gained height
Imagelooking down the glen towards Capel Curig

ImageTryfan & Glydderau

We were now high on the ridge and exposed to the wind – it was freezing! ImageAhead to Pen yr Ole Wen

ImageFfynnon Lloer

Just before the final pull to the summit we stopped to add some layers – the shorts were replaced by leggings after such a promising start :lol:

As we popped out the top we could see ahead to our second summit
ImageThe ridge to Carnydd Dafydd

Thursday’s hills – Tryfan & the Glyderau
ImageThe Glydderau

ImageTryfan

Bet it’s blowy up there :shock:
ImageSnowdon

ImageSummit of Pen Yr Ole Wen

ImageCarnedd Dafydd

ImageEilidir Fawr

It wasn’t really standing around weather so it was time to get going
ImageLooking back to Pen Yr Ole Wen

Now we were on the ridge the hard work was done and it wasn’t much more than a stroll in gale force winds to our second summit :roll:
ImageAhead to Carnedd Dafydd

ImageYr Elen & Carnedd Llewelyn

Our refuge for tea drinking the day before :lol:
ImageTowards Anglesey

ImageLooking back - the Glydderau on the skyline

ImageSummit of Carnedd Dafydd

Two summits down – we were making fairly quick progress so it was definitely time for some lunch. While we were eating we felt a few spots of rain :shock: Fortunately they didn’t come to anything but it did encourage us to add an extra layer, which was probably a good thing as it was freezing!
ImageImpressive crags ahead

ImageCarnedd Llewelyn

Looking back to the Cwmglas Mawr ridge – a good way up apparently
ImageCool ridge for another time

As we headed towards the bealach it was decision time – were we going to head out to Yr Elen? Why not!
ImageYr Elen

ImageMalky and his happy face

Despite the brutal wind it was a beautiful day 8)
ImageLooking back to Carnedd Dafydd

ImageYr Elen

The end of our ridge (later)
ImagePen Yr Helgi Du

We easily picked up the traverse path which took us across the side of Carnedd Llewelyn
ImageTraversing to Yr Elen

The views back to Carnedd Dafydd were amazing 8)
ImageCarnedd Dafydd

As the traverse became rockier the path got a lot more indistinct and we sort of lost it through the craggy bit. We did find a broken water bottle which someone had dumped which Malky picked up (and is probably still in his bag :lol: )
ImageImpressive crags on the bypass

ImageMalky leading the way

ImageElidir Fawr

ImageMore Carneddau

It was an easy climb up to Yr Elen from the bealach and the hardest bit was deciding which bit was the summit! We visited all of them just incase :lol:
ImageThese rocks looked like bunny ears

ImageCarnedd Llewelyn

The rock type had changed here – impressive spiky slate
ImageImpressive rocks up to Yr Elen

ImageCarnedd Llewelyn

ImageYr Elen summit

ImageMalky in his cute wee hat

ImageThe way ahead to Carnedd Llewelyn

It was cold and time to go – the ascent to Carnedd Llewelyn looked steep
ImageLooking back to Yr Elen

Just for you Fife Flyer :wink:
ImageMassive offshore windfarm

The ascent was actually easy enough with a good path the whole way – again the hardest bit was finding the summit as there were several potential highest points :roll:
ImageCarnedd Llewelyn

Onwards – from here it was downhill(ish)
ImageHeading down to Pen Yr Helgi Du

ImageImpressive rock climbing cliffs

ImageHold onto your hats

Another wee scrambly section barred the way – nothing difficult, just a bit awkward, especially in the wind as I needed a third hand to hold my hat on :lol:
ImageFfynnon Llugwy reservoir

ImageThe ridge ahead

The ascent to Pen Y Helgi Du was very steep and a little bit hands on – again nothing difficult but very windy with quite a big drop!
ImageUp there?!

Imagelooking back

Our final summit of the day – a mere Hewitt, not a 3000er :wink:
ImagePen Y Helgi Du summit

ImageNorth

We had a wee breather to enjoy the views – I unearthed a surprisingly intact banana from 3 days ago, and Malky even saved me a bite of his Crunchie 8)
ImageBack to Carnedd Llewelyn

It was tempting (but also not tempting at all) to head out here….one for another time :lol:
ImagePen Llithrig Y Wrach

It was time to go – we headed down the lovely grassy ridge
ImageMalky holding his own against the wind

We got lovely views into Llyn Ogwen as we dropped – we had thought to drop onto the track to save some distance but it didn’t look worth the effort :lol:
ImageTryfan and Llyn Ogwen

ImageOur ridge down

ImageTryfan and Llyn Ogwen

ImageTryfan in the sun

ImageTryfan

It was getting super warm so we had to lose more layers as we dropped – a good path almost all the way got a bit boggy just at the end, hardly surprising given the rain the day before. I was surprised everything wasn’t a lot wetter!

We crossed the main road and walked along the old road which was a much nicer route back to the car
ImageTryfan

ImageClimbers on Little Tryfan

The last few km felt like an eternity and we were very pleased to be back at the car. We had hoped to pick up ice cream in Capel Curig but couldn’t find any so went back to the Moel Siabod café for tea and cake before heading back to the campsite for a well earned shower 8)

Carneddau.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Every day's a school day - practising Welsh on the Carne

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Where's my red pen - I'm going to mark your Welsh homework in a minute :wink: :lol: .

Great pair of reports - saves me the effort!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Skyelines » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:44 pm

The Carneddau are great, less crowded than the rest of the nearby hills.

Ffynnon means spring, well or fountain.

Lloer means moon

So Ffynnon Lloer - well of the moon
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Jaxter » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:38 pm

malky_c wrote:Where's my red pen - I'm going to mark your Welsh homework in a minute :wink: :lol: .

Great pair of reports - saves me the effort!

Will you mark it in sheep's blood? :wink: :lol:

Skyelines wrote:The Carneddau are great, less crowded than the rest of the nearby hills.

Ffynnon means spring, well or fountain.

Lloer means moon

So Ffynnon Lloer - well of the moon

I agree - really enjoyed my day on the Carneddau. Amazing how much I take my (very very basic) understanding of Gaelic for granted - I never realised how much I knew until I went to Wales and everything was completely different. Almost like a foreign language :wink: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland