walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Bheithir: My first munros on a great summer day!

Beinn a'Bheithir: My first munros on a great summer day!

Postby Grisu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Bheithir via Schoolhouse Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 17/08/2015

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1326m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After several years of walking holidays with HF Holidays in different places in England working my way up from Dartmoor and some coastal walks on Jersey, the Isle of Wight, in Northumberland and around Whitby, then from the lovely Dales to Cumbria and the Lake District eventually I arrived in Scotland! YEAH! And this week I did my first munros, too! :D
I am coming from a flat and featureless country where dykes are the only heights :wink: , and therefrore I was very excited nevertheless a bit scared about scrambling over boulders and scree :shock: .
The word scramble I heard for the first time from an american women on my walks on the Isle of Wight. She just has come form Glen Coe and was very exicted about her walks in the mountains. At this time I hardly ever could imagine to walk up mountains and a bit intimidated I asked if HF was offering some "normal" walks as well in Scotland -

Again I was walking with guided groups of HF Holidays and on the evening briefings I heard for the first time about munros, but hardly understood anything :? . It took me two more summer holidays in Scotland until I have understand at least the main features about the munro-system and what the difference is between munros, Corbetts, Wainwrights 🤯 ... And all the time someone was talking about midges :shock:

The day before we had a little warm up on Ardgour. Today the bus dropped two of three walking parties at the little church at the A 82 from where we started our walk following the description of SMC's: The MunroS which is the other way round than the description on WH and we had been expertly guided by Alan👍.
At the sign the groups parted and we went up the forest track towards the west ridge of Sgorr Dhonuill.
DSC00789php640.jpg
One group went for Sgorr Dhearg only, the other started over Sgorr Dhonuill

After a time consuming scramble over the loose scree we had a nice break before we started the final climb to the summit of Sgorr Dhonuill.
DSC00790php690.jpg
Coire Dearg

The visibility was very good and we enjoyed superb views towards the islands and the surroundings in all directions throughout the day.
DSC00843php690px.jpg
Loch Linnhe and the islands towards Lismore & Mull with Ben More

DSC00840php690px.jpg

DSC00845php690px.jpg
North Ballachulish and the bridge

The descent was steep and rocky, but I was too busy with taking pictures of the stunning scenery to notice any struggle.
DSC00861php690px.jpg

DSC00862php690px.jpg
View towards Ardgour

DSC00864php690px.jpg
more views

DSC00868php690px.jpg
Descending from Sgorr Dhonuill and view towards Sgorr Dhearg

DSC00871php670px.jpg
steep steep

DSC00872php690px.jpg
stoney stoney

DSC00874php690px.jpg

At the bealach the two groups rejoined
DSC00879php670.jpg
The bealach

and a decision had to be made now: either to do the second munro or to go back to the house and have an early finish.
DSC00881php690px.jpg
Thinking

Only a small group continued the walk up Sgorr Dhearg. At the summit we enjoyed again great views in all direction on this midge-free-super-summer-sunny day.
DSC00890php690px.jpg

DSC00891php690px.jpg

DSC00892php690.jpg

DSC00893php690px.jpg
Loch Linnhe, Loch Leven, Ardgour

DSC00894php690px.jpg
North Ballachulish

Then we returned to the bealach
DSC00900phpphp.jpg
Starting the descent

from where we descended the boggy field which was quite a struggle. The day took its toll finally with burning feet, pain in my knees and an aching back.
DSC00901php670px.jpg
The steep and boggy field

DSC00904php690px.jpg
Finally we were back to a propper path

But at the end I forgot all about it and I was only happily excited about my first two munros and a new passion developing from now on😊.
DSC00906php690px.jpg
Loch Leven

DSC00908php690px.jpg
View back over Ballachulish Bridge towards Beinn a'Bheithir
Last edited by Grisu on Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: My first munros on a great summer day!

Postby Coop » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:53 pm

2 fantastic munros. Always love looking at these everytime I drive past
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland