walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Short walks in Iceland (not the shop)

Short walks in Iceland (not the shop)

by HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:43 am

Date walked: 14/08/2019

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Short walks in Iceland (not the shop)

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:41 pm

mrssanta wrote:that was absolutely stunning!

Thanks! I enjoyed your reports of Norway - some great photos!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:29 pm

Grand.
I went a third of the way up Kirkjufjell before giving up through finding it too difficult. Later on found that folk have died there and the advice locally, not surprisingly, is to hire a guide.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Really enjoyed that, having visited some of these places when I was a kid, but not having been back since I was 18.

The photos are stunning, really capture the place well, a set to be very happy with.

Thanks Mal Grey - great you have seen some of these places, it’s an extraordinary country. I think if I had seen it when young I would have pictured all kinds of legends and adventures in the amazing landscape.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:19 am

litljortindan wrote:Grand.
I went a third of the way up Kirkjufjell before giving up through finding it too difficult. Later on found that folk have died there and the advice locally, not surprisingly, is to hire a guide.

Thanks Litljortindan!

Yes I recall looking at the steep path - then the rock steps - and thinking "not for me"!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Hillbeback » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi Tim,

Just happened to have a look at the walk reports outside Scotland and came across your excellent report. :clap: Fabulous photos too. Are you still heading up to Scotland in October. If you are then hopefully we can meet up for a walk.

Moira :D
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:49 am

Looks like a superb trip, and thank you for such a tantalising collection of great photos (including brilliant ones of the redwings without a 'proper' camera, but very much with a heck of a 'proper' eye as ever). I did walk in the hills, on the Laugavegur trail, at the end of August, and snorkelled between the tectonic plates, so didn't have time to explore even more. Really wanted to head north west, as well as the quieter places you went to - so it's such a joy to be transported there and so informatively and engagingly. The craters,waterfalls, coastline, the precious icebergs. Just so extraordinarily tempting and evocative! Really lovely report :clap:
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland