walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pikethaw and Wisp Hills in the sun

Pikethaw and Wisp Hills in the sun

Postby McMole » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:30 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Pikethaw Hill, Wisp Hill

Date walked: 24/08/2019

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 7.8 km

Ascent: 670m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's always useful to check previous WH reports on a hill before tackling it yourself. That can recommend routes, guide you to interesting sights, and divert you away from unwelcome terrain. Not least it can help with access, especially finding a suitable parking spot for your vehicle. After reading inca's report on bagging this pair of Marilyns I had second thoughts about parking in the layby on the A7 NE of Eweslees Farm. A more detailed look using Google Streetmap and then a check when returning from Ellson Fell with Jaywizz showed it to be totally unsuitable. Walking along the road from it would be considerably more than slightly hazardous. I wholeheartedly agreed with inca that the only sensible parking spot was on the south parapet of the road bridge over Eweslees Burn. When I arrived there at 10:15am I saw tyre tracks showing that others seemed to have also taken inca's advice in the past.
PikethawWisp route s.gif
Instead of following inca's route through Eweslees Farm and meeting his turkeys, I walked 120m west along the A7, climbed over a gate and crossed a field to a second gate to the open hillside.
P1030654 s.JPG
Eweslees and my car just visible parked on the bridge over the burn viewed from Peach Hill
From there a sheep track then short grass led over Peach Hill to Frodaw Height where the ground became rougher and more vegetated, but not for long. Just over the fence coming from the south I found a decrepit track that gave easier going. It followed the fence round to head towards the Pikethaw Hill summit.
P1030655.JPG
Approaching Pikethaw summit
P1030657 s.JPG
Pikethaw summit with Wisp Hill in the distance
I stopped there in the shade of its well-built cairn. After 75 minutes walking in warm sunshine it was time for a snack and some rehydration. I then sent Jaywizz a message that I was at ooze.nags.originate to encouraged her to load the 'what3words' apps onto her smartphone and find out where I was. From Pikethaw I followed inca's route to Wisp Hill taking my time with a few more rehydration stops.
P1030660 s.JPG
Wisp Hill trig point with Pikethaw Hill in the distance
At the trig point I sent another message including archduke.detergent.reddish before heading downhill, Again I avoided the farm, and instead headed over Whin Fell towards the road.
P1030663 s.JPG
View south from Whin Fell along the Ewes Water and the A7 towards Langholm
With a bit of weaving I followed grassy strips that avoided all the bracken and then followed the field boundaries down to the farm track and so to the A7 and my car.

It had been a fine walk in sunny warm weather, but with enough of a breeze to avoid overheating. There was an almost complete absence of midges, clegs and other flying annoyances. I did spot a couple of birds, and a few hundred sheep but not one other walker.
McMole
Walker

Munros:141   Corbetts:50
Fionas:40   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:149   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:4   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland