walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

walk from Kylestrome to Glendhu bothy

walk from Kylestrome to Glendhu bothy

Postby litljortindan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:04 pm

Date walked: 29/08/2019

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 439m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We went to Dornoch for a change and did some short walks on the east coast to avoid the heat and midges. Then noticed on the weather forecast that there would be more of a breeze the next day so decided on a long planned walk to Glendhu bothy with a view to seeing what other walks might be doable from there in future. Turned out to be quite a beautiful and, scenery wise, varied walk -helped by the fine weather of course.

Stack of Glencoul looking very fine in the zoomed distance.

Good track all the way with frequent gentle breeze and shimmering loch.

Cnoc na Creige, a not to be underestimated viewpoint.

I can only imagine what the view from Beinn Aird da Loch is like though there is a clue on the geograph.org.uk site.

After half way we get a good view down to the end of Loch Glendhu and the crags behind the bothy.

Only really fit folk sweat lots!

View west to Quinag,

Interesting cliffs above the track.

Nice bothy.

Wondering if the walk up the bealach is easy.

Rockfall.

Also wondering about the way up there.

Determined trees.

I welcome the clouding of the sky for the return leg, to keep the sun off a bit.

The waterfall above the hydro station.

Last edited by litljortindan on Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: walk from Kylestrome to Glendhu bothy

Postby Blokewithastroke » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:57 am

My wife and I managed to do this walk a few years ago at Easter time. Truly magnificent scenery! The weather on that day was almost the same as yours, blue sunny skies for almost all of the way there and back. The most memorable thing about the walk, however, was being buzzed by a Hercules aeroplane as we sat down to eat a snack outside the Glendhu bothy travelling what seemed like just a few feet above us!
Blokewithastroke
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:15

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:45 pm

Blokewithastroke wrote:My wife and I managed to do this walk a few years ago at Easter time. Truly magnificent scenery! The weather on that day was almost the same as yours, blue sunny skies for almost all of the way there and back. The most memorable thing about the walk, however, was being buzzed by a Hercules aeroplane as we sat down to eat a snack outside the Glendhu bothy travelling what seemed like just a few feet above us!

No Hercules for us, thankfully. It is a walk that exceeded expectations what with it really only being an out and back along a track but a lot of variety of views along the way and not another soul in sight.
I'd like to do a walk around the tops of the crags of Glendhu but that does look a lot easier said than done. Maybe a bit at a time or with a stay in the bothy to break up the walk. Easier for me when it gets cooler though.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:09 pm

That looks like a lovely walk, need to keep this in mind when I am back up there. Thanks for sharing :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:30 pm

Mountainlove wrote:That looks like a lovely walk, need to keep this in mind when I am back up there. Thanks for sharing :D

You could paddle : )
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby gaffr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:24 pm

Looks like a pleasant walk out to a fine wee bothy.....what I recall of the area when I went way... Some time ago was the ferry crossing when on the way up.to reach Foinavon.:-)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:22 pm

gaffr wrote:Looks like a pleasant walk out to a fine wee bothy.....what I recall of the area when I went way... Some time ago was the ferry crossing when on the way up.to reach Foinavon.:-)

So pre 1984?! Must have been a very quiet area back then.
I suppose it is still helped in its quietness by there being no big hills ahead (other than say Ben Leoid) and even if the whole of Scotland took to the highlands and islands (evenly distributed) that would still only be about one person per thousand horizontal feet so I guess it will always be quiet.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby gaffr » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:36 am

Yes a good bit earlier... In 1969. I first saw the new bridge and road when on Quinaig many years later. Beinn Leoid we got to.ftom the Ben Stack side.
I also recall having to camp close to the slipway having arrived too late for the ferry service. Simple quiet days when it was rare to see another person walking.
We were in to Fhionn Loch..... . Ordered out on account of stalking taking place, a route on Stack Polly then into Loch Dionard below crags on Foinaven for a camp then finished the holiday.based in Glen Brittle. Plus a few munros.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:06 pm

Not dissimilar to gaffr, we spent many summer and October holidays up here in the 70s. Can well remember the Kylesku ferry and listening to the stags roaring in the autumn on the other side of the loch. Going over the bridge for the first time in 1985 not long after it was built came as a bit of a shock but as bridges go I do like it. Thanks :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:11 pm

rockhopper wrote:Not dissimilar to gaffr, we spent many summer and October holidays up here in the 70s. Can well remember the Kylesku ferry and listening to the stags roaring in the autumn on the other side of the loch. Going over the bridge for the first time in 1985 not long after it was built came as a bit of a shock but as bridges go I do like it. Thanks :)

I've only dipped my toe in the area but so far I like it a lot and, yes, it is a good bridge.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby Jaxter » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm

Stunning - this is one I’ve been meaning to do although after reading Mal Greys report I’d wanted to paddle. Looks like just as good a walk though 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:56 pm

Jaxter wrote:Stunning - this is one I’ve been meaning to do although after reading Mal Greys report I’d wanted to paddle. Looks like just as good a walk though 8)

Looking forward to going back there for a more extended walk when it is not too warm and not too cold. Not that I'm fussy!
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:18 pm

Many thanks for the suggestion - we did this walk last weekend, an absolute stunner :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby litljortindan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:05 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Many thanks for the suggestion - we did this walk last weekend, an absolute stunner :D

Agreed, some very fine scenery and a surprising variety of it.
litljortindan
Ambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland