walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Could be slowing down?

Could be slowing down?

Postby Sgurr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:55 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Benarty Hill, Cairnie Hill, East Lomond, Largo Law, Mount Hill, Norman's Law , West Lomond

Date walked: 07/09/2019

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1180m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Three and a half years ago I climbed all the Fife Marilyns in a day, and as I intend climbing someone's final Munro next Saturday, thought it would be good training to use the wonderful weather of Sept 7th to see if I could still do it now I am 80. R said he would come too, but agreed there might not be enough daylight hours to do them at his pace (though I’m sure he could do them) so just did small walks to make sure that he was back when I was. It was great having someone else to do the driving, as I didn’t have to keep switching between shoes and boots, and I could eat going along.
We did it the other way round from last time. For details of lengths and height, see last time’s report, as except for Benarty, Norman’s Law and West Lomond, I did them all the same way, namely, the easiest

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62760

The sunrise was pretty poor as apart from a few sunblocking clouds on the horizon, there were none to be seen. Seemed great weather was to follow.

Largo Law

Nothing was stirring except for the horses

Last time 1 hour 30 mins, this time 1 hour 40 mins

I put the extra 10 mins down to the fact that the dry weather had turned the surface of the path up the hill into what felt like ball bearings, and although there was snow last time, the grass was shorter and I had been able to descend speedily in long wide zig zags, whereas this time the long grass concealed everything and it seemed safer to shuffle back down on the path.

We had breakfast around our normal time in a Cupar Car Park which has a loo.

Mount Hill

Last time 50 minutes, this time 55 mins. This time I put the extra time down to fiddling around with my mobile phone and failing to get a signal to post a Weather Watchers picture.

Cairnie Hill

This is the only hill which doesn’t have a trig point for a selfie. The only rock meant the summit was in direct line with the sun. Last time 40 minutes, this time an hour. Although I managed to send a Weather Watcher Picture, it can’t have taken 20 minutes. I was less certain of the route this time as so many new bulldozed racks have appeared since last time. I came across a pheasant pen. They really must breed them to be stupid. A female pheasant was trying to get back into its pen, presumably because of the food, but had no clue that she must fly high enough to avoid the fence and kept hurtling into it. I came to the conclusion I must be slowing down. Back at the car R was listening to The Unfinished Symphony. I hoped it wouldn't be an omen. He still can't get out of his head the words that an US friend said he was taught at school to help him remember it. You sing along "This is the symphony ..that Schubert wrote and never finished." He said "I've got lots more if you want". "No, no, no, no.no! " said R "You've already ruined one tune for me."

Norman’s Law

Last time I had headed diagonally across the field from the gate to the summit and had got entangled with barbed wired, so this time I walked down the path to where it meets the wall surrounding the hill, and went up a track which emerges between the two summits and climbs to the top. I also took some Weather Watcher pictures, but don’t think that this can entirely explain the increase of time from 30 minutes to a full hour.

East Lomond

Last time I took 40 minutes and this time 45. This wasn’t bad considering I tried and failed to post a Weather Watcher Picture and got a small boy to take my picture. He was part of a family whose small daughter asked my name. When I told her, she said “I’m Chloe and these are my bothers and this is Alex.” “Since when have I stopped being daddy and become Alex?” asked her father. I suggested that when she introduced me to an adult, she would give the name that an adult would expect to hear, but of course if she introduced him to a friend, she would say “This is my Daddy.” “That’s RIGHT!!!” said Chloe. They were off to camp in a camp site below, and were the first people I had met so far.

West Lomond

Last time the snow really impeded me and I took 2 hours 15 minutes. This time, instead of going up the front, I went round to the side and climbed steeply up the first path I found. I still couldn’t get a signal for a Weather Watcher picture and sat chatting on the summit and eating a tangerine for a while. I asked a kind man if he would take my picture. he has noww lived near for 5 years and this is the first time he has been up. Two boys had reached the summit before their Mum. I asked them if hill walking was their thing, or if it was their Mum’s thing. “Mum’s thing.” “So if you could choose, what would you be doing?” “At home with my X-box.” Hooray for Mum.
I took 2 hours 20 minutes, which wasn’t bad considering it was my sixth hill rather than my second. I was rather disappointed not to meet a penguin like last time, but you can’t have everything.

Benarty Hill

This time it was a substantial change of route, instead of parking by the RSPB centre, we drove to the Ballingry side of the hill parking at NT152960 and I climbed it up the steep steps and walked across the moor at the top. This route change meant I did 2.4 miles instead of 3.4 but the height was about 100 foot less. I climbed it in 1 hour 21 mins as opposed to 1 hour 41 mins. You can get up steps at quite a speed singing "This is the symphony that Schubert wrote and never finished."

R drove nearly 100 miles, I walked about 14.5 miles and climbed 3956 feet. We set off from home at 6.30 a.m. and I crawled out of the car at 8.15 p.m. I’m sure all the people who were still strolling around thought “That old woman probably has a zimmer for walking."

All in all, I have to confess, I am getting slower, but only marginally .
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Could be slowing down?

Postby katyhills » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm

Slowing down? That made me laugh.
I think you're bl**dy marvellous :lol:
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Maybe slowing down marginally but still very impressive ! I've also been noticing that I can't do what I used to even just a few years ago. But then, slowing down I'm finding can mean enjoying more. Haven't been to these hills yet but they do look good for winter. Thanks :wink: :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sgurr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:26 pm

rockhopper wrote:Maybe slowing down marginally but still very impressive ! I've also been noticing that I can't do what I used to even just a few years ago. But then, slowing down I'm finding can mean enjoying more. Haven't been to these hills yet but they do look good for winter. Thanks :wink: :)

I'm enjoying more when I go with R, as even with his knee injections he's very slow, so I can look around and even post Weather Watcher pictures without him getting annoyed. However, they didn't want ANY of Saturday's summits. What they like from me are things like this. Nobody would think that our home postcode is one of the driest in Scotland. Not much good for walking those days.

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Sgurr wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Maybe slowing down marginally but still very impressive ! I've also been noticing that I can't do what I used to even just a few years ago. But then, slowing down I'm finding can mean enjoying more. Haven't been to these hills yet but they do look good for winter. Thanks :wink: :)

I'm enjoying more when I go with R, as even with his knee injections he's very slow, so I can look around and even post Weather Watcher pictures without him getting annoyed. However, they didn't want ANY of Saturday's summits. What they like from me are things like this. Nobody would think that our home postcode is one of the driest in Scotland. Not much good for walking those days.

Yup. I guess you'll be "amused to see the lengths some photographers will go to for the perfect [ ] picture". "There may be storm clouds ahead".... :wink: :wink:
rockhopper

Postby Graeme D » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:55 pm

Well, if you are, I guess you're not the only one! But I don't have the same excuse, being nowhere near 80! :crazy:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:07 pm

katyhills wrote:Slowing down? That made me laugh.

So do I. Do you think Chloe went home and told 'Mummy' how she met a wise woman on the hill? :wink:
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby Sgurr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:08 pm

EmmaKTunskeen wrote:
katyhills wrote:Slowing down? That made me laugh.

So do I. Do you think Chloe went home and told 'Mummy' how she met a wise woman on the hill? :wink:

I forgot to mention that Mummy was there too. I feel guilty at forgetting biggest brother's name, as he did a good job on the photo, and then turned the camera the other way round, just to make sure.

When we first tried to climb that hill, we did it from the lower car park and R and daughter made it to the top, while son (probably 3) and their friend, a year younger than daughter came with me, and I carried whichever went on strike and only got 1/2 way up, so am full of admiration for people who enthuse their entire family.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Excellent and informative, enjoyed reading that.
As for slowing down, you are still fitter than the majority of the population.
I may even drag my 2 companions out to try the same or similar route.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby johnscot55 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 am

I only started hillwalking a couple of years ago. I'm now 64 and regret not starting earlier (although, tbh, with work and family I don't know where I would have found the time). Although reasonably healthy, I now fret about how much time I have left where I will be physically able to carry on walking. Thanks for giving me hope that, health allowing, I may have a few years left yet. Well done you :clap: :clap: :clap:
johnscot55
Mountain Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   

Postby katyhills » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:49 pm

The important thing is to enjoy it @johnscott55, and there's no reason why you can't keep doing exactly that.
I think most people have bad, or frustrating, days now and again, but the good ones more than make up for it. No one can take away all the good memories :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:51 pm

That's a good guide for when we resume our Fife pilgrimage. 15 miles and 1000m of ascent would be a big walk for me so slowing down or not I find that an impressive day's tally. You may be slowing slightly and the penguins may be moving further north.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Sgurr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm

litljortindan wrote:That's a good guide for when we resume our Fife pilgrimage. 15 miles and 1000m of ascent would be a big walk for me so slowing down or not I find that an impressive day's tally. You may be slowing slightly and the penguins may be moving further north.

I asked the Penguin if I could take his picture and he is the only person ever to reply to that request with "What 'til I put my head back on." He was trying it out for a charity walk and finding the head a bit on the warm side. I blame global warming.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:45 pm

rockhopper wrote:
Yup. I guess you'll be "amused to see the lengths some photographers will go to for the perfect [ ] picture". "There may be storm clouds ahead".... :wink: :wink:

Caught out in double standards rockhopper. I put on all my rain-clothes to get the pic of the cars going though the flood, including wellies, and then tell BBC Scotland I'm amused to see the lengths some photographers will go to get the perfect wedding pic. Had forgotten all about it until just now, when I saw they'd chosen it. Couldn't think what you were on about. BTW THEY said "There may be storm clouds ahead", not me. This was the Saturday before the walk when my sister in law came to stay. She can no longer walk far, as an out of control skier came hurtling at her and broke her hip. Never know what is round the corner.

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Sgurr wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Yup. I guess you'll be "amused to see the lengths some photographers will go to for the perfect [ ] picture". "There may be storm clouds ahead".... :wink: :wink:

Caught out in double standards rockhopper.

:lol: I guess I I was being a tad cryptic :wink:
rockhopper

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland