walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bienn Ghlas

Bienn Ghlas

Postby Glennmac1672 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:56 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas

Date walked: 15/09/2019

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 703m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm a 12 year old girl called Emily and this was my first Munro!

We got up at 6 o'clock to get there and I would recommend a good breakfast and going to the toilet before you leave because there are no cafes or facilities there.

The walk started off fairly easy with a pretty flat path in a nice nature reserve. As we got a bit further up we started noticing a few blaeberry bushes but after a while we were surrounded by them.

Once we got passed the nature reserve we started our accent and after a while it started to get a bit windy but then it got AWFUL we were getting blown about everywhere and we had to hide behind a big rock to shelter ourselves from the wind.

After we got to the top where the views were great we had to skip Ben Lawers because the wind was getting so strong so we took the loop down into the valley that was pretty sheltered and it looped back round to the original path that you take on the way up the hill. Then you just follow the path on the way down and you will pass an incredible waterfall. Once you are back at your car I would reccomed going to a village called Killin that's just a 5 minute drive away from the car park. Once there we went into a cute little inn called the falls of dochart Inn. I would recommend getting the hot chocolate that tastes amazing and is super nice and it warmed you up

Outside there was great rapids and we saw people kayaking down them.
The rapids were super pretty and there was a few good rocks were you could have a sit down

I really enjoyed climbing Beinn Ghlas and I would recommend it but you do need to come prepared because the wind was very strong but once you are past it is super nice and the views were spectacular
Emily Xxx 😁😁😁
Glennmac1672
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Re: Bienn Ghlas

Postby Glennmac1672 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:53 am

Brilliant family post Emily mountain kids. :D
Glennmac1672
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:06 pm

Well done!

And a sensible decision to leave Ben Lawers for another day, it will still be there!

You may enjoy this - my children found the ascent of Cairn Gorm via Coire an t-Sneachda a lot of fun https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=87810

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Glennmac1672 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi Tim,

Thanks I’ll check it out
We did have a look at that one so I’ll tell my Mum and Dad to try climb it next :)

We had climbed Meall A’Bhuachaille circuit rather than that one last time but we’ll give that a shot as well

Emily
⛰⛰⛰
Glennmac1672
Mountain Walker

Postby FiMacG » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:38 pm

Well done on climbing your first Munro Emily! :D :D :D And so great you took the time to share your experience with other climbers. I'm sure your post will inspire other young people and adults to tackle Bienn Glass! (And top tip about the hot chocolate afterwards!)
FiMacG

Postby Rmac1736 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:43 pm

Great to read your review. Sounds like a fab day despite the wind. Well done on your first Munro.
Rmac1736
Mountaineer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland