walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Culra Bothy Munros

Re: Culra Bothy Munros

Postby Fairweather Softie » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Thanks again everyone, had 2 great days 08th and 09th September. 3 things I learned about first wild camp.

1: Learn how to cut weight out of my bag
2: Might need to invest in better gear, definitely need a 4 season sleeping bag, slept with clothes, hat and gloves on!
3: I can do it!

Real reason for reposting on this thread is does anyone know what the newish building behind the bothy is? I seen walkers coming out of it one morning but I cant find any reference to who owns it or how to book it?
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:20 pm

The building behind the bothy is for estate use only and cannot be booked,deer stalking is in progress maybe you seen estate workers leaving the building,either that it has been broken into.

http://www.culdenfawestate.com/the-estate/ben-alder-estates/
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 am

ScotFinn65 wrote:I think the Fallon site has a route proposing almost the same as you suggested.

Route seems the same but timings slightly different.

https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/guide-alder.html

I am booked onto the May bank holiday trip. My plan is to arrive a day early, walk in, and do the one group of Munros that is not included (Geal Charn), then meet up with the group in the evening.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Fairweather Softie » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:17 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:The building behind the bothy is for estate use only and cannot be booked,deer stalking is in progress maybe you seen estate workers leaving the building,either that it has been broken into.

http://www.culdenfawestate.com/the-estate/ben-alder-estates/

Hi GS,

Not convinced it was estate workers, they dressed in normal gear and had packs for day in the hills, immediately set off up the hill as soon as they came out the building and had no vehicle outside of it. Wonder if the estate takes bookings for the building. Might drop they a email and ask.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:20 pm

al78 wrote:
ScotFinn65 wrote:I think the Fallon site has a route proposing almost the same as you suggested.

Route seems the same but timings slightly different.

https://www.stevenfallon.co.uk/guide-alder.html

I am booked onto the May bank holiday trip. My plan is to arrive a day early, walk in, and do the one group of Munros that is not included (Geal Charn), then meet up with the group in the evening.

Sounds great! - "vast starry skies" and "extensive views"
Have these people ever been to Scotland? :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:14 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Not convinced it was estate workers, they dressed in normal gear and had packs for day in the hills, immediately set off up the hill as soon as they came out the building and had no vehicle outside of it. Wonder if the estate takes bookings for the building. Might drop they a email and ask.

Worth a try, I guess, but it could be that you need to know the right people. Many years ago I spent a week in the old lodge (which was knocked down and replaced by the current building) on a school trip. I think someone on the staff had maybe served in the same regiment as the estate owner or manager: old boys networks and all that.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby prog99 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:29 pm

Yes , you can book the estate lodges. Must be expensive at the moment as its peak stalking season but I've known folk to get pretty good deals outside of the stag season.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion