walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

F10 PCT 60:70

F10 PCT 60:70

Postby scotsmist » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:03 am

Bought this yesterday, arrived today (I also have a F10 GR 35:40).

Wondering if anyone else has this pack and their opinions, also a few questions if you are able to answer (not yet heard from AMG).

Wondering what the clip above the webbing grab handle between shoulder straps is for
buckle.jpg

Found a bunch of webbing inside the lid pocket, wondering what they are for (anything to do with the clip)
webbing.jpg

I'm having a hard time getting these F10 packs to fit/feel comfortable. This pack has the A1 system and I'm used to the more simple adjustment of Vango packs that has numbers in cms and know when the pack is right. I feel the F10 packs sit high up above my hips even at their longest length. My back is 52cm from hip to c7 so don't think I'm too tall. My Vango Contour 60:70 fits very comfortably at the 52cm setting.

Lots of daisy chains on this pack, front and at the sides. Also the side compression straps run through the inside of the wand pockets. the clips that hold the straps are attached to the front clam style pocket and appears to pull the zip cover away, exposing the zip. Anyone found this a problem (lame question, but my GR 35:40 doesn't have this issue).
daisy.jpg

Thanks in advance. Hoping/planning on using this pack to walk the WHW this weekend over 6/7 days wild camping with a banshee 200 and an ultralite pro 200....
scotsmist

Re: F10 PCT 60:70

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:06 pm

I'm not familiar with this pack, but is it called a 60:70 because the floating lid can be removed? If so, then maybe those straps are to keep the pack closed or offer a way of stashing a bedroll or sleepmat over the top of the pack?
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby scotsmist » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi, yeah its a 60:70- because the lid is floating. There is a strap inside the pack for, I presume strapping things down, also has an extra drawcord for the extra material under the lid... Extendable gaiter...

clip2.jpg

Extendable gaiter.jpg

Thanks for replying
scotsmist

Postby scotsmist » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:33 pm

I think the straps are a customisable rigging system. It looks very similar to what is fitted to the F10 Alplite 45 pack where the straps are used as a sort of z-style compression, for perhaps snowshoes (bearing in mind this pack is designed for the Pacific Crest Trail).
f10-alplite-45.jpg

Still haven't figured out yet what the hook above the grab handle is for.
scotsmist

Postby Scottk » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:51 pm

Is the hook possibly for suspending a water bladder?
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby scotsmist » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:40 pm

Thanks for your reply.
There is a small velcro strap inside the pack and near the top for a bladder. The hook I'm having problems figuring out is on the outside, just above the webbing grab handle between the shoulder straps. There's a flap at the back of the floating lid. It sits below that.
Still no reply from Vango/AMG support who distribute Force Ten gear, hopefully tomorrow.
scotsmist

Postby davekeiller » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:52 pm

Having looked on the vango website, this rucksack comes with a rain cover, could it be for attaching that?
Alternatively if there's a suitably positioned strap it could be for either securing the main compartment or allowing gear to be held between the main compartment and the lid (lots of mountaineering rucksacks have this as it allows stowing of a rope or crampons).
The webbing looks like straps to allow a tent or rollmat to be strapped to the outside of the rucksack - look for something that they might thread through - typically on the to of the lid.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby scotsmist » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:55 am

I don't see anywhere to attach the raincover, its elasticated and fits around (was also one of my first thoughts too).

There's an additional strap under the lid thats for tying stuff down such as my tent, an with the lid being floating is perfect for my tent, however the position of this g-hook type clip is on the ouside and behind the flap that attaches the lid. So i'm not convinced its for securing items in the main compartment.

I'm hedging along the lines of it being for securing something to the lid, but with only one g-clip, can't figure out what that might be.

I think you are spot on about the webbing, perhaps a z-style between the various daisy chains, or as you suggest, strapping something like a roll mat, since there are two plastic d clips at the bottom of the pack, near the ice axe loops. Some sort of customisable rigging, it says on the vango site description.

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Still no word from AMG/Vango or the seller (Outdoorgear).
scotsmist

Postby gaffr » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:53 am

Hello...have not used this sack. I guess that sacks are produced for a range of different users. Of the sacks that I have used recently the straps that I have no use for I just cut off. I find that straps and stuff that flap around tend to get in the way of efficient use.
e.g. the straps provided for winter tools …..I use the compression type straps for my axe it then can be reached without having to remove the sack.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby scotsmist » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:15 am

Hi. Thanks for replying. I use sectioning clips to hold the excess webbing in place if there is no elastic loops provided. My old dear uses them in her hair and it gave me the idea to use them as webbing clips.
I'm a bit reluctant about cutting my extra belts especially when still under warranty (3 years with Vango) but certainly have with older packs and have always cut extra webbing with cheaper new packs.

What's melting my melon at the moment is how little information Vango put out regarding their gear. Most info I've came across is other people reviewing their purchase, although often although they are just mimicking the sales spec sheet.

Osprey are as bad and some of their packs are imo dreadful. They just make far too many different designs. Most of the big brand names are equally guilty.

Wouldn't it be great if we could just but a basic pack and then customize it to our needs...
scotsmist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk