walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Of Corse it was easier with a bike

Of Corse it was easier with a bike

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Corse Hill

Date walked: 28/09/2019

Time taken: 1.1 hours

Distance: 7.2 km

Ascent: 151m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This little outing was yet another chance to say hello to another Borders hill on my way home from down south. As usual I didn't have as m uch time as I would like so I opted for Corse Hill, George couldn't make it but Parminder volunteered to keep me in check and make sure I didn't get lost.
I had posted a question on FB as to whether a bike would be beneficial and the general consensus was maybe. When you look at the GPS map on here it looks as if there is a good track virtually to the summit, so executive decision we would take bikes.
My route would start by the wonderfully named Carrot Cottage which is probably the nearest road or start point to the summit.
I advised Parminder I would probably reach the Carrot about midday and he was waiting patiently for me.
Parking could be a problem as there is possibly enough space for 3 or 4 cars.

Our parking, there was another car but it was away when we returned

Looks like that notice has been in situ a while

We missed this sign as we were on our bikes and almost walked into the gardens of the houses just past the sign

The grassy path is not really for cycling on, so a bit of pushing was the order of the day

Certainly not a well trodden path

Parminder armed with his camera pouch, his camera wasn't over used

First obstacle, gate doesn't open fully

Over the burn with the overnight rain in it

Not sure the burn is big enough for a canoe, even after lots of rain

Nice back garden at one of the Carrot houses

Looking back to the houses

Plenty of sign posts, we opted for the shorter route as that was updated in my phone

This was just about the steepest part of the day

Now it is time to jump on the bikes

More signs of the overnight rain

Nearly in amongst the machinery

There are plenty of tracks leading to all the turbines

Parminder is in the photo demonstrating how big these monsters are

Our first sight of the trig, it is only about 200m from where we left our bikes by the nearest turbine. Due to the very short walk to the summit we didn't bother locking the bikes

Video taken on the summit of Corse Hill

The only vehicle we saw

A few camera photo's from the summit looking towards the central belt

After the photo's it was time to get back on our bikes, the descent on the track was fairly rapid and we soon reached the grassy path. After just over an hour we were back at the cars and then it was time to head east and negotiate all the East Kilbride roundabouts. Thanks to Parminder for making the effort to accompany me.
It was an enjoyable walk but I somehow doubt I will be revisiting Corse Hill.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: Of Corse it was easier with a bike

Postby parminder » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:06 pm

FF.. One of the quickest wee walks but enjoyable amongst the wurly things. Thanks for your company.. :clap: :clap:
parminder
Mountain Walker

Munros:272   Corbetts:23
Fionas:25   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:112   Hewitts:2

Re: Of Corse it was easier with a bike

Postby rockhopper » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:35 pm

My local hill being only about 10km SE of here. Not the most inspiring I guess but you probably took the more interesting route. First time I cycled up was also from Carrot Farm in the days before the windfarm. Last time I cycled up with my elder son we went through the windfarm - track below. Interestingly we also stopped beside Parminder's turbine #104 - photo below of my old mountain bike which my son was using - small world :)

104.JPG

whitelees 27jul2016 activelog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland